Closed Solved

Need help, brand new 2600$ comp got water on it.

So this is my first build and it was 2600$, yes I went for it all. I finally finished building it yesterday and when I went to go to the bathroom, I flushed and the toilet over flowed and the water went into the vent and down into my room, travelled across the ceiling right onto my desktop =/

Now I need help, I dried it a lot. I cannot see anymore water. After cleaning it and everything I powered it up. The thing is, it powers up then shuts off in a second. The cpu fan spins, the gpu lights up and spins, the fan lights come on, optical drive turns on. Everything turns on is basically what I am saying. I have a feeling it might be the cpu that is damaged. These are my specs:

Mobo: Gigabyte Z68mx-UD2H-B3
Ram: Corsair 2x 4gb Vengance
GPU: Gtx 590
CPU: i5 2500k
PSU: 1200 Watt Cool Master

I do not know if any other specifications are needed. Can anyone help me? I am completely devastated. I am on my winter break and this is basically the only time I get to use it and I can't even use it. Please help ):
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about need help brand 2600 comp water
  1. Best answer
    was it on when the water got on it? it sounds like the PSU might be kicking in detecting a short and shutting down to prevent damage.... I would suggest taking it apart completely verifying that you have removed as much liquid as possible... then putting each piece in a bag (individually) filled with rice (rice will absorb moisture) let it sit in the bag of rice for at least 24 hours... reassemble and test it...
  2. slhpss said:
    was it on when the water got on it? it sounds like the PSU might be kicking in detecting a short and shutting down to prevent damage.... I would suggest taking it apart completely verifying that you have removed as much liquid as possible... then putting each piece in a bag (individually) filled with rice (rice will absorb moisture) let it sit in the bag of rice for at least 24 hours... reassemble and test it...

I took everything apart already probably 3 - 4 times. When I took it off the first time I saw that water was only on the gpu and the cpu. I will try the rice, hopefully it is not to late. But in other words, what do you think it is? I am getting the mobo, the cpu and the psu replaced. is the psu replacement necessary? Thanks!
  3. I quote slhpss... and test it piece by piece incrementally

or just put in a different PSU and check that out

I wouldn't freak out totally though, IF AT ALL you've probably fried the PSU or the motherboard. Your components are probably all right.
  4. Also, get your venting sorted ;)
  5. n-dru said:
    Also, get your venting sorted ;)

Hi, thanks for the help! I am going to pick up rice right now. Is there any way the cpu was fried? Just to be safe should I replace the cpu, psu, and the mobo? The computer was turned off but the psu power was on. Now the psu doesn't make that little buzzing sound that indicated that it was on. ):

Also is there in any way that rice will damage it? What if I cannot get all the rice out of the device? And is it safe to put the psu inside :O
  6. Best answer selected by dence47.
  7. If the system was off but the power supply on and in a "stand by" state so to speak then more than likely if anything was damaged it would be just the PSU... if it doesn't work after the rice and you can get a spare to test with that would be great... don't jam the rice into the components just put some rice in a bag and put the component in with it... it's kinda like at the restaurant when you see rice in the salt shakers (it's a southern thing with the humidity if you've never seen it)... the rice soaks up the moisture from the air keeping the salt from chunking together...
  8. For the easiest way why don't you just get the parts replaced by the warranty?
  9. e56imfg said:
    For the easiest way why don't you just get the parts replaced by the warranty?

most warranties don't cover water damage... RMAs could be attempted, but that's an ethical dilemma I will leave up to the OP...
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs