Can get to bios pages but won't boot

dysaan

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
Replaced motherboard in HP a6514f

O.K. received my recommended replacement MOBO Intel DG41RQI. Fit in nicely though I had to slightly stretch some of the wiring to accommodate the different placements on the new board.

Powered up and get a short beep and display screen that allows me to go to bios or choose a boot option. If I choose bios I get to go there ( more on that *) but if I choose any boot option HD, DVD drive etc. the computer powers down leaving only the led on the mobo lit.

Everything seems seated properly. Fans are on. Temperatures are within respectful limits and it will sit on the bios pages for unlimited time without powering down.

Not sure where to go from here.

I am currently attempting to use the HD and OS ( vista ) as it was but with a different MOBO. Other panels have claimed that it is perfectly capable of being done and I prefer it if possible.

*BIOS screen comes up and gives me bios code RQG411OH.86A.0013.2009.1223.1136
and recognizes my memory sticks and system as E 2180 @ 2GHZ w Bus & Mem Speed of 800MHZ
Lets me switch through and control the various pages using the keyboard including checking fan speeds, temp etc. but from here on I'm a noob and completely stuck.

Any idea's?

Full HP specs page:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc [...] 57425#N242

I'm running Vista Ult. ( bought separately ) so I don't think I should encounter the need to reinstall as I would with the factory HP version. I may be wrong there but I hope not. If so I'll likely install a new hard drive since I don't want to lose what's on this one until I can extract the files I need.

Pentium Dual-core, E2180 processor, invidia Geforce 7100, 3gig Mem. 300watt PS
Manufacturer original board specs:
•Manufacturer: Foxconn HP a6514f, KT371AA, Foxconn Mobo MCP73M01H1
•Form factor: microATX - 9.6 inches (24.4 cm) x 8.5 inches (21.5 cm)
•Chipset: GeForce 7100/nForce 630i
•Memory sockets: 2 x DDR2
•Front side bus speeds: 800/1066/1333 MHz
•Processor socket: 775
•Expansion Slots:
◦1 PCI Express x16 slot for graphics card
◦2 PCI Express x1 slots
◦1 PCI slot

Thanks much

dysaan

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
Thanks for the contact.
F8 is a no go. Screen gives me option of Bios or F10 boot choice. Holding F8 is the same as doing nothing. After a count of 10 it simply shuts down. F10 simply recognises my drives but if I access any of those it shuts down.
Power switch at that point does not re-activate. Also it is activating instantly when plugged in not waiting for the switch. The mobo light stays lit after shutdown and I have to unplug and wait a few seconds for it to discharge before it can be restarted by plugging back in. I'm going to recheck the wiring while you brainstorm :)
Thanks again.

dysaan

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012

No option there and I just went through the wiring and even disconnected the unnecessary stuff and there is no change. It recognizes the HD and DVD drives, memory, bus you name it. Lets me play around with the BIOS via F2 and gives me the option of booting from DVD or HD yet immediately shuts down when I choose one.

I'm stumped.

dysaan

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
Lovely. Apparently when I changed the boot order in BIOS to HDD as 1st it screwed my only option and now the only thing that happens when it's plugged in is that the MOBO led comes on. That's it. No fans, no Vid, no nothing.
Now what?
Reset BIOS?

dysaan

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
Update: Pulled it all apart. To this semi-noob there was just too many identical pin sets and seats not located in the same spots on the 2 boards leading me to mis-seat the power switch. Corrected but once again no F8 safe mode. AT least now it is reviewing the boot system. Choice of HD gives me a failed to boot hit any key ... Utimate Boot Disc gives me a flashing cursor. Not shutting down anymore but not going forward much either.
Any help?

dysaan

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012

The 4 pin and the main power couplings were both a little taut but remaneuvering them made them reach without pull. All is well in that department.
I am currently up to simply trying to get them to talk. Everything is recognized by name incl. HDD, DVD/CD Drive etc.
Everything powers up and spins. I can access boot disc's in the DVD drive and run their programs but can't find the right combo to get things moving. I have a vista restore disc, as well as full vista disc and even Hiram's vista boot disc. The only thing I haven't tried that I can think to do is a total re-install. I really want to save the data on the HD and hope to avoid doing a re-install.

Something isn't communicating even though everything is recognized.

dysaan

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012

It's only doing the one short beep at start up so there are no problems there. Thanks

dysaan

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012

Main problem has been that I can't get to any of those screens like safeboot or any repair point.
Went the next step and put in a new HD. Using 1 of 3 different set up/boot program disc's that I have, I managed an option to format it and loaded ( I believe in it's entirety ) Vista Ultimate 32.
Still won't boot.
I have a new MOBO that claims there is nothing wrong and a new HD with a fresh install that simply won't talk to each other. Any idea's? Thanks.

dysaan

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
Utilizing restore disc I can run all kinds of tests and fixes resulting in a response that the HD is booting properly but if I have the system boot from the HD I just get a flashing place-cursor that is unmovable. Alternately the MOBO also reads as fine.
Do I need some BIOS tweak or could there be a needed driver that is causing a conflict. I put in the disc that came with the board but that really isn't doing anything of value.

dysaan

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012

Thanks for your answer. I came about that inadvertantly myself earlier. Having previously attempted a clean install of Vista on a new HD without positive outcome I decided to completely wipe and re-install the OS ( W-7 this time ) and lo and behold "communication". Everything is up and working with each other. Still don't know what hung up with the first OS install but at least now it's working.

dysaan

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
Thanks to all for your answers and I hope for anyone reading this thread that they found something useful to them. For me it became about needing to work with a fresh OS install which meant I had to install a new HD since I didn't want to wipe the old one. Still hope to slave the old drive and extract files. 1st OS install snagged somehow but a second try brought success and I am up and running.
Thanks again to all responders.

dysaan

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012

CD should have been good as I've used it before, but anything is possible. Maybe install glitched somewhere along the line. Probably better off with Windows 7 anyway so there we go. Now I have to grab a sata power adapter for my harness so I can slave the old drive and I should be back in business ( PSU only had 2 which are taken by the DVD Drive and current HD ).
Thanks again

dysaan

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
Got my sata power cable in so now the grand experiment: will it let me access the old drive as a slave. .... I'll let you know the answer soon. Again thank you to everyone for their suggestions.

dysaan

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012

HKV

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
i had the similar problem few days ago. my system got hanged without any warning or so. i restarted it but couldn't get past the bios screen, i thought it may be the software problem so i reinstalled win-7 again. But no luck while reinstalling the windows coz it got stuck everytime while installing.Then i dissembled all components in my PC and cleaned them properly after assembling,and voila ! the problem dissapeared. My system is running perfectly for 6-7 days without a glitch. but yesterday the system got kinda hanged like very slow response/ lag of 20-30 seconds !!. after reboot it becoes normal. so my doubt is on the heat sink of CPU /GPU. would reapplying thermal paste solve this problem ? what could be the problem in your opinion guys ?
thanks in advance.