Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Worth upgrading to Phenom II X4 965 from Q6600

Last response: in CPUs
Share
December 27, 2011 6:10:42 PM

Hello,

I am considering to upgrade my 3 1/2 year old machine, now running an OCed Q6600 (3.2Ghz) to a Phenom II CPU.

I did some research on this, and I think I should get the 965 or the 970 black edition. What do you guys think? Is it worth it?

I wish I had the money for the i5 2500k, but that is not the case, so I only need to know if I should upgrade to this CPU or not upgrade at all.

I mainly use it for gaming (Skyrim and Battlefield 3). Battlefield runs smootly without AA, but Skyrim suffers a little bit. I currently have a radeon HD 6950 2GB. I think my CPU is the bottleneck right now.

Thanks for your input!!
a b à CPUs
December 27, 2011 6:24:35 PM

hmmm...id say your rig is a monster, i say keep current specs and see if sandy prices go down when ivy is out
Score
0
a c 478 à CPUs
December 27, 2011 6:29:24 PM

Overall the Phenom II x4 competes against the C2Q CPUs. Therefore, you will not see a big improvement in my opinion. I can't really look at benchmarks between the two since I am responding via a smartphone

Score
0
Related resources

Best solution

a b à CPUs
December 27, 2011 6:56:11 PM

I would say to go for a i3 2120 ($120) or a i5 2400 ($190)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - i3 2120
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - i5 2400

Phenoms are quite old and the dual-core i3 2120 beats the Phenom 965 in most tests. Battlefield 3 uses 4 cores online so I would try to get the i5 2400 or you could wait next year in March for an Ivy Bridge. You do know that you will have to upgrade your mobo and memory to swap the CPU. I don't think it's worth it to buy a CPU now though. Your current rig is actually quite decent and you could save up next year for a Ivy Bridge 3570K (2500K equivalent). Just start OCing your GPU and wait until Ivy Bridge comes out.
Share
December 27, 2011 7:04:47 PM

Thanks a lot to all of you. This info is most helpful. I think I'll follow your advice and wait for prices to go down, and then go for the 2500k. Or maybe save and try to get one of the Ivy bridge CPUs.

Score
0
December 27, 2011 7:05:17 PM

Best answer selected by vcdorantes.
Score
0
!