Sign in with
Your question

wireless mini-pci card help

Last response: in Wireless Networking
April 2, 2005 12:29:54 AM

Hi guys, I really need your help. I have a IBM X30 laptop, it dos not come with wireless integrated, but after reading Tim Higgins 's guide of adding a internal wireless card to a notebook, I decided to get a Dell TrueMobile 1150 internal minipci wifi card for my IBM X30 notebook. At first I couldnt find the mini-pci slot, it was underneath the keyboard. Anyways, my x30 does not come with integrated antenna, but I decided to try it anyways. I got the mpci wifi card to work under windows xp pro/sp2, but the range is very very short, like 5 - 10 meters. I just want to know how can I increase the range? I know you can install an antenna for the X30, but it's too much work, you have to take off the LCD bezel and stuff. Is it possible to just add a short antenna and just hide it inside the laptop? I don't expect it have the same range as the ones with antenna presintalled, but I hope it will at least give me like 30 - 50 meters.

More about : wireless mini pci card

April 2, 2005 7:04:33 AM

I guess you could just get an internal laptop antenna wire and just coil it up inside the case somewhere. That is about all you can do.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
April 2, 2005 1:41:59 PM

thx for the reply, but where do i connect the antenna to?
!