My Computer went from bad to Fubar. SSD to Monitor Failure

juhan6

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
Hello,

I'm all out of answers at this point. Please bear with me as I describe step by step on how I made my computer into an expensive paperweight. I am running windows 7 x86. I've spent my whole Saturday trying to install a Samsung 830 ssd as a boot drive. First, i decided that it was best to backup my computer using the Norton ghost provided; however, after i followed the steps, I have noticed that the ssd was not listed in the list of drives to transfer my data. After many failed attempts from inserting ssd to various sata slots (ultimately, placed it in sata 3 zero slot), i decided to go ahead and skip the data migration and went into the bios menu. My mobo is z68 pro 3 asrock and had a different looking bios layout. I changed the settings from IDE to ahci and placed the ssd as the boot drive. Everything looked good until I restarted and right when I saw the windows logo form, bsod happened. As it happened multiple times, windows automatically activated the windows repair and asked if I wanted to system restore. I declined and waited for the repair to occur. After I restarted I changed the setting back to my old hard drive and set it as IDE; however, another problem occurred. It appears my keyboard ceased to work when I tried to log into my account but can be used for the bios menu. After more detective work, people were having luck by disabling the USB 2.0 in the bios menu. I restarted but lo behold I could use my keyboard for the bios menu either even though its USB cable was connected to the USB 3.0 slot. I have tried to run in safe mode but keyboard still didnt work. You can imagine the frustration that I placed myself in, but wait, there's more. I did more detective and found out I can reset the bios setting by removing and placing the CMOS battery for 30 seconds. While investigating my mobo, i decided to use the duster to clear my graphics card and computer in general. i turn on my computer, and my monitor doesnt read the graphics card which is a gtx560ti evga. whew!

That is where am. I will be happy to provide you as much information but it is limited as I cannot access my computer at all.

TL:DR - attempted to install ssd, computer didn't recognize it. Bios recognized ssd, changes settings to ahci and boot drive, bsod, more bsod, windows repair, couldn't use keyboard to login but only in bios, disabled USB 2.0, keyboard lost all function in bios and login, safe mode didn't work since keyboard didn't work, took out CMOS battery for 30 seconds to reset bios settings, monitor didn't work.

Solution
look, this is very simple - if all you're trying to do is put a fresh install of Windows on the SSD

remove all drives from the computer Except the SSD, put BIOS in AHCI mode - if your BIOS does not see the drive, then upgrade to current BIOS

then boot from Windows DVD and install fresh on the SSD
Reason I ask is because you are trying to use your samsung 830 as a boot device.

In terms of your video card I would remove and reseat make sure you have the pci-e power connections in nice and tight. Then make sure that your monitor cable is connected in nice and tight and power up the machine.

mysteryos

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
About the BSOD when AHCI is enabled in BIOS:

The AHCI drivers are not loaded by windows on startup because you have installed windows on IDE setting. Hence using norton ghost to copy over your windows to your SSD which is in AHCI setting is a baddd idea.

If you are really intent on using your SSD in AHCI setting, you'll need to:

1) Boot on your hard disk in IDE mode (attach your SSD too)
1.5) Make sure the SSD is detected properly and has been formatted (go to control panel > administrative tools > computer management > disk management tab; and check for any unformated partitions)
2) Run this little fix to load AHCI drivers on startup: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
3) Do a copy of your OS with norton ghost onto your SSD
4) Shut down your PC and remove your Hard disk
5) Reboot into BIOS, switch the sata mode from IDE to AHCI, switch boot drive to your SSD
6) Check if your SSD boots properly (most probably won't). If it doesnt boot properly, boot through your windows 7 setup DVD and repair your installation and re-attach your hard disk upon completion of repair
7) Enjoy

Or....
1) Detach hard disk
2) install clean copy of OS on SSD.
3) Profit :D

juhan6

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012

Thank you for everyone's responses so far,
I realized that my power connections to graphics card were disconnected (probably due to lack of sleep at that point). As soon as it boot up, I was able to get into my BIOS and enable all USB 2.0 and 3.0 connections; however, I'm still unable to use my keyboard when the windows login pops up. I can use it in BIOS but not after that. I have started up the computer in safe mode with ps/2 connection and usb connection with no luck. I have disconnected the connection between my ssd drive (power and data cables) and have been booting up with old hdd. I have also changed the IDE setting after the CMOS setting. Any thoughts on how I can get into my account?

juhan6

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012

I really appreciate the speedy responses in this forum !!

I have responded bigshootr8 regarding with my most recent issue (unable to use my keyboard at windows login). Now, I feel like I have no choice to do a clean copy of OS on SSD. Just a couple of questions regarding with that:

1.) Will I be able to retain my old hdd's data and able to connect it as a slave later after the OS is installed on SSD?
2.) I have a USB drive that I can use as a clean install. Have you heard of WintoFlash? Does it work well?

That is all the questions I have for now.

Move your keyboard to a non usb 3.0 port. Windows 7 will only recognize USB 1.0 and 2.0 off a fresh install trust me. I have to use onscreen keyboard up till that point.

As long as you don't format your old drive yes you will be able to retain the data. I haven't heard of wintoflash.

dingo07

Distinguished
look, this is very simple - if all you're trying to do is put a fresh install of Windows on the SSD

remove all drives from the computer Except the SSD, put BIOS in AHCI mode - if your BIOS does not see the drive, then upgrade to current BIOS

then boot from Windows DVD and install fresh on the SSD

Solution

juhan6

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012

Thank you for your input! In addition to your help, I was hoping if I can run by some specific steps by you before I start doing the install fresh on the SSD. I will be booting from a usb drive.

I will be using this video to make a bootable usb: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oWq2S7lh_o
What do you guys think?

1.) I will connect the power and data cables to the SSD. Disconnect all my cables to HDD.
2.) Go into BIOS. Change the mode from IDE to AHCI.
3.) Change the boot from USB drive.

juhan6

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
Thank you for your guidance everyone.

Now, I have a question regarding with system's manufacturer. This was my first computer I have built, but I cannot find a manufacturer name (went to system and security and there is no manufacturer under system, where I usually see it). Do you guys have any ideas? Do I have to go into registry and fix codes?