othersfollow

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
This is more than just a desktop vs workstation debate:

So here’s my question - and it relates to mainly computers running 3D Studio Max and other multithreaded programs (Maxwell and PS/AI). I’m looking to build a new computer, and Sandy-bridge is the way I’m looking to go. I know the new Xeons are coming out soon, and I’ve been using xeons for years. But here’s the problem- I use to have to buy 2 quad core xeons – now I can get one fast 8 core processor. I know I can get (2) 6 core xeons, running about 1 ghz slower, but multiplying my cores by 1.5x on this build.

But here’s the other part I’m hung up on- processors always get compared to processors. And I know in theory that xeons are better for workstations. But I keep finding that workstation/server motherboards are really built for servers, and not including new technologies. Lack of usb ports on the back, lack of sata 3, no usb 3.0 headers, no built in Bluetooth support. And now I see that gaming boards are coming ready for pci-e 3.0 pipelines.

I guess what I’m wondering is this – is there a change happening in the market? With the ability to make 8 core single processors are we really going to see much of a difference in i7/dual xeon performance? Even though xeons look better on paper, are the limited technologies of the motherboards they go on going to disappoint us? (I’m tired of adding pci-e usb 3.0 headers on to get up to date, etc.) I was looking at similar motherboards from Asus for instance. Their gaming board has sata 3 standard. The workstation board requires an expensive add on to get sata 3 ports to work on the mainboard.

So what do we think? I’m starting to think that lately there’s a lot more reason to build an i7 workstation than a xeon one. And is Sandy Bridge finally a time when there isn’t going to be a large enough difference between the two to make that justification? I know I ‘lose’ 4 cores (though running 1.0 ghz slower) but it seems like I’m sacrificing a lot more in choosing to build a workstation. And maybe there’s an article on this I’m missing, but I can’t find it. And I know that the people on Tom’s Hardware are the most knowledgeable out there. Does anyone have any thoughts?

We are going to be able to get 8 core/ 16 thread xeons, then people will run 2x of them and have 16 cores/ 32 threads! Next year my friend next year, if you are looking for a good workstation I reccomemd you check out sandybridge-e, 6 cores / 12 threads.

othersfollow

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Yep, I know the 8 cores are coming, but the 1.8 ghz 8 core xeons are priced at $1100 already - one is over the cost of the top i7. See what I'm saying? THis is what's making it difficult.

thanks for the advice. looks like we are leaning the same way.

Umbongo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
LGA 1366 and 1567 Xeon systems are built on platforms that were set out years ago, you won't see them updated with new technologies during their lifetime.

You can expect workstation boards for LGA 2011 Xeons to feature what you want. I'd expect DP workstation boards from Asus, Intel, SuperMicro and Tyan to all have PCI-E 3.0, USB 3 and SATA 6 gbps support.

The single processor options available are very powerful with their 3GHz+ clock-speeds and 4-6 cores, but if your software makes proper use of all available processing power then a 16-core system even at 2GHz can be vastly superior. You just need to really know how your software and your workflow makes use of processing power if you are on a limited budget.

othersfollow

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
you're right- I wish i was starting to see some workstation board specs, but I'll cross my fingers for the pci-e 3.0 buses and usb 3.0 headers. I guess i just feel jealous when i see that back plate of a workstation board vs the gamer supercomputer. i wish i didn't have to take up pci-e slots with usb cards and then fill the cards with wireless/bluetooth dongles. :) i guess that's just the route i take. I'm going to consider buying a gamer board with a single fast 8 (or 10) core xeon in it if Asus allows it in the bios. i figure that will still smoke the dual quad core setup i have now. I think I'd like to liquid cool in my case and that makes dual processor setups near impossible too. I used CoolIT liquid systems for a while and they were terrible (I have 2 computers, 5 different setups, 2 burned out pumps, and finally a 'custom designed' one for my case/motherboard setup that didn't even fit and the hoses were too small to even route.) NEVER buy from them. I guess I've got a lot of thinking to do.