Sign in with
Your question

Why is my CPU getting so hot?

Last response: in CPUs
December 27, 2011 7:23:40 PM

I have a new PC, with a 2500k. The processor has been getting very hot. After playing Civ5 for about 1-2 hours, it was over 70 degrees Celsius. I have liquid cooling in my computer too, and i didn't overclock at all. It may be because I have a supposedly not very good PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168.... Should I just go ahead and replace my PSU? Or maybe install better case fans, since I still have stock? All help is appreciated, thanks.

More about : cpu hot

a c 185 à CPUs
December 27, 2011 7:43:01 PM

What software? Which cooler? Is it seated on properly?
m
l
December 27, 2011 7:51:18 PM

amuffin said:
What software? Which cooler? Is it seated on properly?

Software for monitoring temperature? Speedfan. Cooler is Asetek 510lc. I guess I could check if it is seated properly, but it was built by Cyberpower, so I would think it would be. It could have been messed up in transit or when i removed the protective stuff or something like that. How would I know exactly if it wasn't properly seated?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 27, 2011 7:55:12 PM

whats your idle temperatures?

also have you checked the temp in the bios?

check if the fans on the cooler is going and make sure the cooler is installed properly. If you still have a problem you might need to return the cpu.
m
l
December 27, 2011 10:07:51 PM

My bios says about 40 Celsius, idle obviously. The cooling system appears properly fastened, and the fan is blowing, but is it possible that the liquid is not being properly distributed, or something like that? And I know that it is just the CPU or the cooling system, since I was playing an intense Starcraft 2 custom game on mostly ultra graphics and the gpu didn't go over 70 Celsius.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 27, 2011 10:33:43 PM

I don't remember but does Intel have a "cool and quiet" like amd ? If so turn it off.
m
l
December 27, 2011 10:35:48 PM

I don't know what that is, and how would I turn it off? And why should I turn it off?
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 27, 2011 10:56:26 PM

to keep the water cooler operating at max efficiency. just like a video card. if you leave the fan factory stock the card gets way too hot before the fan speeds up. if you make the fan run faster at lower temps the thing you are trying to cool should stay cooler and be cooled quicker ( faster rate of liquid passing through the system )
m
l
December 27, 2011 11:11:27 PM

Don't turn off speedstep, that will just make it worse. Instead, in your BIOS find the CPU fan setting and change it from Auto to 100%
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 27, 2011 11:20:00 PM

I didn't say speedstep............ what you posted sounds about right. something to do with fan speed. ( amd cool and quiet adjusts by temp ) don't know if I would set it at 100% off the bat though.
m
l
December 27, 2011 11:43:50 PM

So I somehow just did something totally wrong. Since I have never used BIOS before, and I knew that I would probably need to use the BIOS to fix my heating problem, I decided to install Gigabyte's Touch BIOS. It showed my motherboard when I was installing it, but now when I start my computer, I get a blue screen error saying Windows won't boot. I seriously need help now. I can't imagine it really was my fault, since I think I was just going through the automated process properly. Please help.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 28, 2011 12:19:47 AM

reset the cmos.... read book
m
l
December 28, 2011 12:50:49 AM

I just reset it with a screwdriver, it still isn't working. Please help. Maybe the screwdriver didn't work, but I don't have a jumper.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 28, 2011 12:54:27 AM

pull the battery for a minute............ make sure machine is off......
m
l
December 29, 2011 6:37:27 PM

I fixed my BIOS. So back to the heat problem: what should I do in my BIOS that will cool down the CPU?
m
l
!