Last response: in Systems
September 25, 2011 11:11:21 PM

hey there ,

I get major low fps' when I play games

phenom II 965
4870 1gb
650W
m4a77td pro

When I play games I get super low FPS' and then...believe it or not... I have to run Speccy (www.piriform.com) in order to get my smoothness back.... why the hell!?!?!?

its been doing this recently for no apparent reason

any explanation about what Speccy fixes?? or what the actual problem is ??

thanks alot

More about : fps drop

a b B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2011 8:02:27 AM

There shouldn't be any relation to Speccy and your PC's performance at all. Speccy just basically tells you what hardware components your PC has.

When your PC is giving low FPS, what CPU % is being used? It sounds almost like your PC is locking up somewhere due to programs running in the background.

Have you overclocked anything at all?
When you say low FPS - How low?
What games are you playing where you experience this?
What RAM are you using?
What PSU are you using?
m
l
September 26, 2011 12:20:07 PM

I'm well aware that Speccy shouldn't affect my pc's performance but it does ... lol

I play bc2 , cod4 , mw2 etc ... exemple on cod4 i used to get 250 constant now I barely get 150 and when speccy is on I go back to 250...weird huh?

I did use the turbo program from AMD to overclock my pc but I put it back to normal (3400mhz) multiplier x17.

I play at 1920x1080

ram: G-SKILLS 4gb DDR3 1333

psu: corsair 650W

I honestly thought it was my video card but it isn't ... it runs at 60 on load and sits at 35-40ishes.. nothing is running hot..

My graphics are super choppy.... then I open Speccy and its smooth again...I know it makes no sense but there is a link somewhere , but what?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 26, 2011 12:22:10 PM

Also , the Cool n Quiet tool was gageing my cpu from 800mhz to 3400mhz to save power and I turned it off in the bios
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2011 12:44:35 PM

Yes, very strange indeed. Might be worth enabling vsync and see if it just holds a solid 60fps without the choppy picture.
m
l
September 26, 2011 12:50:16 PM

I don't get what you mean , sorry

fill me in
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2011 12:55:01 PM

vsync is an in-game setting that basically caps your frame rate, at your monitors refresh rate (Hz).

Usually Full HD monitors have 60 Hz refresh rate, giving a nice clean image (old CRT monitors used to flicker and flash, this was because the refresh rate was lower). 3D Monitors have a 120Hz refresh rate.

It may seem mad capping your FPS at 60, but the human eye cant tell any difference between 60, and 600 fps on a 60Hz monitor. Capping the game at a constant 60fps should give an optimal image with no lag in fps or choppy frames.

This might help to explain it a little better: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_tearing

EDIT:

This wont help explain why your FPS suddenly jumps and changes when your running Speccy, but it should help eliminate any screen tearing or choppy feeling when playing COD4. (If your playing online, internet connection/lag/latency could be causing the frame rate issues - it might not be down to your system at all, but down to the server your playing on).
m
l
September 26, 2011 12:59:23 PM

What if its constant then? what's the issue?

Also , I tried lowering my resolution to see if it would be more smooth but not at all , even at the lower res the video still chops.

I really feel like somethin is eating up my ressources
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2011 1:11:37 PM

If its constantly at the same FPS, there will be no jumps or big dips in frame rate which should eliminate screen tearing and choppy images.

When you get these choppy images are you playing online? or single player? What happens when the fps drops? Are there suddenly any big explosions or changes in the game that might cause the fps to drop?

m
l
September 26, 2011 1:12:40 PM

i'm well aware but that doesn't fix the actually issue
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2011 1:16:22 PM

Your right, it doesn't but I'm struggling to understand what the issue is. Playing at 250fps, or playing at 125 fps will look exactly the same. What are you using to measure FPS, FRAPS? When does it show 250fps? When does it show 125 fps?

It might be worth trying to completely un-install SPECCY if that's what's causing issues.

Go onto your start menu, right click my computer and click manage. Go to device manager and check there's no driver errors/conflicts ect shown there (usually shown by a yellow question mark or exclamation mark).

Make sure your graphics card drivers are up to date (download the latest from manufacturer website), and make sure Call of Duty is patched up to date as well.
m
l
September 26, 2011 1:21:52 PM

My pc as been up and running for 2 years - been playing perfectly ever since

I know the eye doesn'T make the diff between 60 and 600 fps but i'm trying to fix the issue here.

I use the in-game fps counter to show my fps... cod4 for exemple used to run at 250 constant , now it never gets above 150 and it jumps like crazy.

Uninstalling Speccy doesn't help , but having it open while playing fixes ALL issues and i'm back to 250... o.O

There is no virus involved either , no driver issues and no device working bad. I rolled back gpu drivers --- I tried all 4 previous versions and still the same...

When my PC sits there I know 1.30GB of RAM is already being used , dunno if that's normal though.

Using Windows 7 64bit.

***EDIT***

weather its online or single player it does it.
m
l
September 26, 2011 1:27:48 PM

... cod4 is a joke of a game and yes I get 250 constant .... did I say I played on everything cranked all the way up?

watch your tone

Also , regarding driver issue , I tried rolling back because my drivers were up-to-date to see if the new drivers were the issue..

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2011 1:28:03 PM

Bizzare issue, without sitting at the PC myself and seeing exactly what the issue is, I really dont know how to trouble shoot this down other than un-install unnecessary programs and update all games and drivers.

Running a program, especially one such as speccy that effectively does nothing at all, should have no impact what so ever. Google might end up being your most useful tool here, or the speccy forums (if they have one), or if not, maybe Speccy support and see if they can shed any light on the issue.
m
l
September 26, 2011 1:30:35 PM

AdrianPerry said:
Bizzare issue, without sitting at the PC myself and seeing exactly what the issue is, I really dont know how to trouble shoot this down other than un-install unnecessary programs and update all games and drivers.

Running a program, especially one such as speccy that effectively does nothing at all, should have no impact what so ever. Google might end up being your most useful tool here, or the speccy forums (if they have one), or if not, maybe Speccy support and see if they can shed any light on the issue.

yup I know man , I know speccy does nothing but tell you actual specs n temps , i'm just as amazed as you are but it does settle my fps back to normal
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2011 1:32:58 PM

Do you have any background programs running, anti-virus or windows update or anything like that, which could possibly be hogging resources causing the change in fps?
m
l
September 26, 2011 1:38:51 PM

In all honesty , I went in msconfig and turned off all programs at the boot and it still did the same thing.

I did on the other hand try to enable them all --- still the same

I then tried to turn all of them off besides the AMD/ATI utilities --- still the same

I also only tried to turn off my anti-virus ; avast.

Still the same

What I will do tonight when I get home from work --- I will try to install the games on xp (I am dual booted) and see how it performs.

if it performs fine , then its my setings/progs on windows 7

I am out of ideas , the fact that running speccy in the background stabilizes my fps and brings it back to normal is beyond me
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2011 1:43:39 PM

deluxecbk said:

I am out of ideas , the fact that running speccy in the background stabilizes my fps and brings it back to normal is beyond me

You and me both :o 
m
l
September 26, 2011 2:41:28 PM

LOL this is turning in to a good read.

Deluxe - If its not effecting your gameplay I dont see what the massive issue is? What temp is everything running at when this drop in FPS happens? If its really bothering you that much back everything up and reinstall windows and all software.
m
l
September 26, 2011 2:44:15 PM

lewza said:
LOL this is turning in to a good read.

Deluxe - If its not effecting your gameplay I dont see what the massive issue is? What temp is everything running at when this drop in FPS happens? If its really bothering you that much back everything up and reinstall windows and all software.

in cod4 it's not that bad ... it was just being a reference... cod4 isn't the actual issue ... bit 123 or w/e is name is mislead you into his non sense.

mw2 for exemple is locked at 90 FPS default , I beleive? and it must drop to like 30-40's ---- This is noticeable and it makes the game unplayable because it is unstable
m
l
September 26, 2011 2:46:57 PM

Was the problem call of duty 4 or the FPS drops????????

Was posting benchmarks on a system/settings different than mine useful?? Nope.

Why does running speccy in the background help? No clue , fil me in.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2011 2:48:14 PM

Might be way "out-there" but is there any chance a scratched disk or damaged DVD drive or HDD could be causing the issue?

Do you get this issue with any other games?
m
l
September 26, 2011 2:52:52 PM

Aida its happening with a lot of games.

Cant see it being a damaged DVD drive as it probably wouldnt read the disc all that well and crash it. Damaged HDD, well you could check event logs to see if there is anything in there?
m
l
September 26, 2011 2:53:38 PM

Have you actually tried uninstalling speccy?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2011 2:59:36 PM

Quote:
I tell you what pal go ********* know it all.
i am very tired and put hours of dedication into helping people here on Toms Hardware when i get the time.
your just a low life inconsiderate *******.

Id edit out the language from your previous post. But I agree your right. Some people can be inconsiderate when others put in time to help them.
m
l
September 26, 2011 3:01:10 PM

His last post just sums up my thoughts and displays his wonderful attitude.

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2011 3:04:30 PM

Topic has gone fairly off-track to be fair.....seems a fairly bespoke issue that without testing various things an answer/solution is unlikely to be found. As LEWZA suggested, a complete re-install is possibly the only test you can do to be certain if something on your system is causing the hiccups.
m
l
September 26, 2011 3:06:02 PM

Quote:
Then if you are so clever why are you not sorting your own problem eh?
SMARTASS!

I came here for help because I am obviously out of ideas

I didn't expect teenagers to jump in the thread with their non sense.

If all you can do is post useless benchmarks that are nowhere near being pertinent in the thread then you're no help.
m
l
September 26, 2011 3:07:42 PM

Thanks to adrian and lewza , i'll try that tonight and see how things go.
m
l
September 26, 2011 3:10:15 PM

Quote:
You keep bringing up the benchmark thing that i had already said was appernt with the thread ages ago...

Your card is crap simple buy a new one.

damn man , another helpful comment , thanks!!

I keep bringing the benchmarks because that's all you can in this thread with and you kept on defending them.

this crap card , as you mentioned , ran my games fine before and now it doesn't. Can you help by figuring out why? or is you knowledge limited that all you can suggest is buy another one ?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2011 3:11:18 PM

Age is rather irrelevant. I'm only 20 myself, as is LEWZA..
m
l
September 26, 2011 3:15:11 PM

Personally id reinstall windows and software, if problem persists its hardware.
m
l
September 26, 2011 3:17:17 PM

Because I am here moderating this silly thread which at no point should have escalated into this mess... (btw my curiosity is what kept this thread for closure)....

I'll put in my two cents.

Speccy likely does not improve anything. It may be blocking a resource that is using up cycles on your system however. I'd start with this knowledge and run an application called processmon.exe Its from the microsoft systernals suite.

This tool will show you whats running, resources and files in use related to each process and hopefully pinpoint something taking more resources than needed. It may also show virus/spyware issues if they are problematic in their resource usage.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb89664...

on anther note: without specy I'd still check to see if the CPU (while the game is running) is not being down clocked. Even with Cool'n'quite disabled, I have seen where it really isn't disabled.

Also check power settings - make sure its not set to balanced. Speccy may be pushing the CPU to its rated speed, thus giving you the performance you expect. - Try updating the bios just in case Cool'n'quite is part of the problem.
m
l
September 26, 2011 3:18:04 PM

AdrianPerry said:
Age is rather irrelevant. I'm only 20 myself, as is LEWZA..

It is irrevelant. Considering the fact he is 21 and is acting like a kid.

I've been expressing my satisfaction to you and lewza as you've been on track and trying to actually solve the issue.
m
l
September 26, 2011 3:19:06 PM

CompTIA_Rep said:
Because I am here moderating this silly thread which at no point should have escalated into this mess... (btw my curiosity is what kept this thread for closure)....

Speccy likely does not improve anything. It may be blocking a resource that is using up cycles on your system however. I'd start with this knowledge and run an application called processmon.exe Its from the microsoft systernals suite.

This tool will show you whats running, resources and files in use related to each process and hopefully pinpoint something taking more resources than needed. It may also show virus/spyware issues if they are problematic in their resource usage.

thanks alot for your pertinent help.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2011 3:21:10 PM

CompTIA_Rep said:

Is this tool as reliable as running performance monitor built into windows? Or does it do more or less the same thing?
m
l

Best solution

September 26, 2011 3:24:20 PM

It shows more then the built in performance monitor. IF you find the tool useful - that will depend on your knowledge and ability to use the tool effectively. Its pretty straight forward though, but if you have any questions just ask.

on anther note: without specy I'd still check to see if the CPU (while the game is running) is not being down clocked. Even with Cool'n'quite disabled, I have seen where it really isn't disabled.

Also check power settings - make sure its not set to balanced. Speccy may be pushing the CPU to its rated speed, thus giving you the performance you expect. - Try updating the bios just in case Cool'n'quite is part of the problem.
September 26, 2011 3:27:46 PM

thanks , ill check into that , i`ll give you an update tonight.
m
l
September 26, 2011 3:31:10 PM

Best answer selected by deluxecbk.
m
l
!