Sign in with
Your question

Network wrong username or password

Last response: in Networking
November 5, 2010 9:16:34 AM

I have a home network of 2 Vista Machines and one Windows 7. All have same administrator user name and password. Recently I have been unable to connect to the Win 7 machine from Vista 1. I am asked for user name and password then get wrong username or password message.All other combinations still work, including Vista 1 from Win 7. I have tried all possible solutions I have found so far on the internet including the different date/time problem. Vista 1 did have the wrong time zone but I fixed this - all clocks now same but still have the problem. Could there still be some residual effect of the time problem?
a c 288 $ Windows 7
November 5, 2010 1:11:21 PM

Try putting the computer name before the user, use the name of the computer you are attaching to. Will look like PCName\username, don't use any leading slashes like you would with a machine name.
November 5, 2010 4:43:00 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Try putting the computer name before the user, use the name of the computer you are attaching to. Will look like PCName\username, don't use any leading slashes like you would with a machine name.

This doesn't work. I have tried changing names and passwords and no passwords, without success. When I came across the clock fix on one of the forums, and found that Vista 1 had the wrong time I was sure that must be the problem. I wonder if, though the clock is now ok, there is a residual problem like an erroneously date stamped system file.
Related resources
November 5, 2010 9:28:51 PM

Do both computers show the same date including year? You'd be suprised how many people fall over that.
November 6, 2010 9:03:41 AM

Plumble said:
Do both computers show the same date including year? You'd be suprised how many people fall over that.

All three computers have the same date, including year and time.
November 6, 2010 1:34:04 PM

I have another problem which in the wacky world of networking might be significant. Since I fixed the clock error on Vista 1 it (Vista 1) will not stay in sleep. It wakes after about 5 seconds. This happens irrespective of whether other PCs are on off or asleep. I had changed nothing other than correcting the clock when this started. Is there something linking clocks, sleep and time?
November 7, 2010 7:12:50 AM

I have fixed the problem(s) but it makes no sense. I discovered that Vista 1 was being wakened from sleep by my ethernet adapter. I disabled this in Device Manager. This fixed both my sleep problem AND MY NETWOKING PROBLEM.
To recap
1) Networking problem appeared from nowhere - could not connect to Win 7 from Vista 1.
2) Found that Vista1 clock was wrong and fixed. Network problem remained and sleep problem started.
3) Disabled wake from sleep by ethernet adapter and both problems fixed.

Can anyone make sense of this?
February 7, 2012 2:59:55 PM

bobmurchie said:
All three computers have the same date, including year and time.

Thank u very very much ...i was facing this problem from past 1 month
i would never have any idea that system clock might b a problem in file transferring
!