Sign in with
Your question

Need advice on a new motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
October 14, 2012 10:38:15 AM

My motherboard stopped turning on. I have already had to RMA this board once and think it is time for a new board. But I am stuck between Intel and AMD.

I am very tight on cash so the idea changing cpu and mobo is hard sell, but everywhere I read how AMD and AM3 is dead and Intel is the only real choice.

So in my head I'm thinking, do I buy a good AMD board and upgrade to a new cpu after my current chip starts to bottleneck me in games- of course that would be after I upgrade my gpu, or do I start down the Intel root.

The idea of spending a $100 or so on a decent AMD board sounds silly if it is a dead end road, but the idea of spending $250 or more on Intel chip and board seems even sillier due to the weakness of my current card.

Please give me some advice.

More about : advice motherboard

a c 75 V Motherboard
October 14, 2012 1:34:09 PM

AMD is dying but their platform is much more futureproof (in terms that you can throw more generations of CPUs on the same board and still work fine) than intel.

what do you have in your rig as of now?
m
l
October 14, 2012 2:01:36 PM

XFX 8200 mobo
4 gigs pc6400 corsair
9800 GT
Phenom II 945 95W
P1-850B-CAG9 850watt psu
Seagate 1tb

It was in my sig member config but here you are
m
l
Related resources
October 15, 2012 12:40:55 AM

I do not see my self running more than one graphics card and if I were going to would go with the Asrock extreme 4 because it can run x8/x8 for under $100. I am more partial to the GA-970A-UD3 because it has 8+2 Phase count, although the board you suggested is 6+2 with DIGI VRM. If I stay AMD I will need to rely on a good oc to keep up with the gpu market.

More of the reason I stated this thread was of this:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/354589/Core_i5_2500K...

Now my 9800gt, which already bottlenecks my system pretty badly, would negate any benefit from this upgrade. But currently I have no machine to game on.

So do I buy a cheap as hell AMD mobo, some good DDR3 RAM and wait until I upgrade the gpu to go Intel, do I buy a decent oc AMD mobo with same RAM and when I upgrade gpu oc my 945 up to 3.8, or do I go intel now and have a cpu that will not bottleneck anything for at least a couple of years?

I understand Piledriver is on the way and it may not suck. And 2500k will go down in price in a year or 2. I just feel if I spend over $200 it should be for graphics not cpu given my current cpu is ok enough for now. I need a new mobo and the above options are alll viable, just asking if someone could weigh in on the best bang for buck and or budget conscious path.
m
l
a c 75 V Motherboard
October 15, 2012 1:03:51 AM

asus power phases are better than gigabyte power phases. you cant compare one to another

just get a asus motherboard

if you want to go intel now, go ahead. it will perform way better than a phenom but 1155 is at the end of its life so you cant upgrade like you can on a AMD rig

piledriver matches i7 2600k performance
m
l
October 15, 2012 2:31:23 AM

i doubt piledriver will match the i7 2600k in games that are a little more cpu heavy, but an am3+ cpu could win over gamers by the time steamroller is released. If games get multi-threaded then the FX-8120 would be awesome right now for its price, but thats not the case, and has been AMD's problem, they focus a lot on multi threaded cpu's, and the FX-8xxx is not really 8 cores it is 4 modules consisting of 2 halfish cores. So AM3+/AMD is a gamble right now, and you could get a Celeron to hold you out, then upgrade to an i5 or i7. Also if games did get Multi-threaded for 8 or so threads, the i7 with hyper-threading would probably still be on par or better then an AMD FX-8xxx. Hope my opinion opens up some ideas (and i would get the Celeron, they are $50 and an Asus z77 LK is like $140.)
m
l
October 16, 2012 7:09:32 AM

BeastLeeX said:
i doubt piledriver will match the i7 2600k in games that are a little more cpu heavy, but an am3+ cpu could win over gamers by the time steamroller is released. If games get multi-threaded then the FX-8120 would be awesome right now for its price, but thats not the case, and has been AMD's problem, they focus a lot on multi threaded cpu's, and the FX-8xxx is not really 8 cores it is 4 modules consisting of 2 halfish cores. So AM3+/AMD is a gamble right now, and you could get a Celeron to hold you out, then upgrade to an i5 or i7. Also if games did get Multi-threaded for 8 or so threads, the i7 with hyper-threading would probably still be on par or better then an AMD FX-8xxx. Hope my opinion opens up some ideas (and i would get the Celeron, they are $50 and an Asus z77 LK is like $140.)

I really appreciate the reply but I have looked at this.

In my last couple of days of research Intel has rubbed me the wrong way. I have never owned an Intel and thought k- finally they unlocked the multiplier- meant B.E. What I realized was none k was jail. I never thought a company like Intel would lock you into their clock speeds when you specifically buy a mobo that is designed to free your clock speeds. Can you even oc your ram with a none k? It went from buy an Intel chip and oc it, to buy THIS Intel chip and we will LET you oc it. Sounds like Apple- a company I hope dies a quick and painful death after their Elmo-Barny-Pokemon-Honey Boo Boo CEO is gone (RIP).

Have you looked at my system? You say spend $190 not counting the DDR3 RAM I need to buy. I game with a 9800gt. I need to upgrade graphics before I down grade my CPU. $170 with AM3+ and I am faster than I was before sounds better. And 1155 is done. AM3+ has two more years of cpus on the way. I do not think that Piledriver will even beat 2500k by enough to matter, but Steamroller probably will.

I love to click "Graphics High" or "Graphics Ultra", but I hate to click "Graphics medium" My gpu has never let that happen.

I do appreciate the reply and none of this is an attack on you. But I would still prefer to give my money to a company that is small but willing to give me their best- and I still get to game near that high and ultra- rather than a company who is trying to grift me.
m
l
a c 75 V Motherboard
October 16, 2012 10:34:42 AM

but when steamroller comes out, haswell quickly destroys amd by another 15-20% increase in performance and a certain degree of efficiency
m
l
October 16, 2012 11:44:34 AM

TheBigTroll said:
but when steamroller comes out, haswell quickly destroys amd by another 15-20% increase in performance and a certain degree of efficiency

+1

And comparing AMD's current cores to a 2600k is not the smarter thing to do anyway, we should compare them to the 3770k.

Also you dont have to buy a certain chipset on your mobo, if you don't want to OC, the get a B75, it will perform the same, but you can't overclock. Other then that the FX-8350 is launching at $210-$240, for that price you can get an i5 3570k, a cheap z77 that can CFX like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
October 16, 2012 5:19:17 PM

Cant wait to see the FX-8350 stomp on every i5 and some

The AM3+ is going to carry on in the future but the intel one isn't..
m
l
a c 75 V Motherboard
October 16, 2012 5:26:34 PM

markem said:

it wont stomp anything if it doesnt fix the efficiency and power hog problem. and it wont beat a i5 3570k in games
m
l
October 16, 2012 7:41:57 PM

markem said:

I hate to bust your bubble, but AMD is not stomping intel anytime soon by the looks of it.
m
l
!