Anyone with experience with Bluetooth PC Cards?

Tags:
Last response: in Technologies
Share
August 10, 2004 2:51:08 PM

Which ones do you recommend? I would prefer one that doesn't stick out
of the slot much (if at all) so the TDK, Belkin, IBM and Toshiba ones
aren't at the top of my list.

The 3Com one with the XJACK antenna is a nice design but I've read the
software/drivers are wonky? Can anyone confirm?

There's a bunch of no-name ones on eBay that have an extendable
antenna but I have not found any reviews. The Zoom model appears to be
similar to these (and fairly cheap)... anyone used one yet?

Also, which bluetooth devices does Windows XP SP2 support?

Thanks!
Anonymous
August 10, 2004 8:57:40 PM

"B" <stuff@bcx.ca> wrote in message

> Which ones do you recommend? I would prefer one that doesn't stick out
> of the slot much (if at all) so the TDK, Belkin, IBM and Toshiba ones
> aren't at the top of my list.
>
> The 3Com one with the XJACK antenna is a nice design but I've read the
> software/drivers are wonky? Can anyone confirm?
>
> There's a bunch of no-name ones on eBay that have an extendable
> antenna but I have not found any reviews. The Zoom model appears to be
> similar to these (and fairly cheap)... anyone used one yet?
>
> Also, which bluetooth devices does Windows XP SP2 support?
>
> Thanks!

I've got the 3COM Xjack version. It works but lacks many of the profiles of
more recent devices. For example, there is nothing included to sync with a
PDA or phone. The software is also pretty unfriendly. I've had mine for 2.5
years and I have not seen any new drivers that improve things. I have a
Tungsten T3 and sync that using Bluetooth (using Palm software) but
sometimes the connection hangs/dies. I don't know where the problem lies but
if I force a disconnect then the Bluetooth software on the laptop collapses
and a reboot is the only solution. It will not come up if I stop/start the
card etc..

I too was attracted by the retractable antenna (it actually works perfectly
well when fully retracted and I can print to my Bluetooth printer upstairs
without extending it) but now that I've got an 802.11g card sticking out
from the laptop there is no advantage to the 3Com design and several
drawbacks.

I actually bought a 3Com Xjack 802.11a/b/g card but that caused frequent
system lockups and had to be returned so I now have a 100% perfect Netgear
card. I've been persuaded by my experiences not to touch 3Com in the future.

My girlfriend's laptop with builtin Bluetooth and Widcomm software is much
easier to use and more feature rich so it is certainly possible to get it
right. I've heard that the TDK card is the clear winner as far as PCMCIA
cards go. I really would not touch the 3Com model.
Anonymous
August 11, 2004 6:21:39 PM

B wrote:
> Which ones do you recommend? I would prefer one that doesn't stick out
> of the slot much (if at all) so the TDK, Belkin, IBM and Toshiba ones
> aren't at the top of my list.
>
> The 3Com one with the XJACK antenna is a nice design but I've read the
> software/drivers are wonky? Can anyone confirm?
>
> There's a bunch of no-name ones on eBay that have an extendable
> antenna but I have not found any reviews. The Zoom model appears to be
> similar to these (and fairly cheap)... anyone used one yet?
>
> Also, which bluetooth devices does Windows XP SP2 support?
>
> Thanks!

The sitecom pcmcia card uses the Widcomm software and has an extendable
antenna.
The latest widcomm update available on their site seems to be version
1.4.2.11
http://www.sitecom.com/products_info.php?product_id=223...

I don't actually have this card but I think I would choose it if buying
a new one. Went through 3 different devices trying to find a suitable
card for my tablet PC. I moved from a Mavin CF card with BlueSoleil, to
the XJACK 3Com card with their pretty basic software to the TDK PCMCIA
card with Widcomm, which sticks out a bit but at least the software is
better. This sitecom card looks like the best of both worlds.

XP SP2 only seems to support USB devices at the moment, not PCMCIA ones.
At least there are no PCMCIA device ids listed in bth.inf.
Related resources
August 11, 2004 6:39:25 PM

That looks perfect... do you know where I can buy it? Preferably an
online store that ships to Canada?

Thanks.

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 14:21:39 +0100, EddWo
<eddwo@stayawayfromme.hotpop.com> wrote:

>B wrote:
>> Which ones do you recommend? I would prefer one that doesn't stick out
>> of the slot much (if at all) so the TDK, Belkin, IBM and Toshiba ones
>> aren't at the top of my list.
>>
>> The 3Com one with the XJACK antenna is a nice design but I've read the
>> software/drivers are wonky? Can anyone confirm?
>>
>> There's a bunch of no-name ones on eBay that have an extendable
>> antenna but I have not found any reviews. The Zoom model appears to be
>> similar to these (and fairly cheap)... anyone used one yet?
>>
>> Also, which bluetooth devices does Windows XP SP2 support?
>>
>> Thanks!
>
>The sitecom pcmcia card uses the Widcomm software and has an extendable
>antenna.
>The latest widcomm update available on their site seems to be version
>1.4.2.11
>http://www.sitecom.com/products_info.php?product_id=223...
>
>I don't actually have this card but I think I would choose it if buying
>a new one. Went through 3 different devices trying to find a suitable
>card for my tablet PC. I moved from a Mavin CF card with BlueSoleil, to
>the XJACK 3Com card with their pretty basic software to the TDK PCMCIA
>card with Widcomm, which sticks out a bit but at least the software is
>better. This sitecom card looks like the best of both worlds.
>
>XP SP2 only seems to support USB devices at the moment, not PCMCIA ones.
>At least there are no PCMCIA device ids listed in bth.inf.
August 11, 2004 6:39:54 PM

Thanks for the advice... I'll stick away from the 3Com stuff then.

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 16:57:40 +0100, "Tiny Tim" <_tim_dodd@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"B" <stuff@bcx.ca> wrote in message
>>
>> Which ones do you recommend? I would prefer one that doesn't stick out
>> of the slot much (if at all) so the TDK, Belkin, IBM and Toshiba ones
>> aren't at the top of my list.
>>
>> The 3Com one with the XJACK antenna is a nice design but I've read the
>> software/drivers are wonky? Can anyone confirm?
>>
>> There's a bunch of no-name ones on eBay that have an extendable
>> antenna but I have not found any reviews. The Zoom model appears to be
>> similar to these (and fairly cheap)... anyone used one yet?
>>
>> Also, which bluetooth devices does Windows XP SP2 support?
>>
>> Thanks!
>
>I've got the 3COM Xjack version. It works but lacks many of the profiles of
>more recent devices. For example, there is nothing included to sync with a
>PDA or phone. The software is also pretty unfriendly. I've had mine for 2.5
>years and I have not seen any new drivers that improve things. I have a
>Tungsten T3 and sync that using Bluetooth (using Palm software) but
>sometimes the connection hangs/dies. I don't know where the problem lies but
>if I force a disconnect then the Bluetooth software on the laptop collapses
>and a reboot is the only solution. It will not come up if I stop/start the
>card etc..
>
>I too was attracted by the retractable antenna (it actually works perfectly
>well when fully retracted and I can print to my Bluetooth printer upstairs
>without extending it) but now that I've got an 802.11g card sticking out
>from the laptop there is no advantage to the 3Com design and several
>drawbacks.
>
>I actually bought a 3Com Xjack 802.11a/b/g card but that caused frequent
>system lockups and had to be returned so I now have a 100% perfect Netgear
>card. I've been persuaded by my experiences not to touch 3Com in the future.
>
>My girlfriend's laptop with builtin Bluetooth and Widcomm software is much
>easier to use and more feature rich so it is certainly possible to get it
>right. I've heard that the TDK card is the clear winner as far as PCMCIA
>cards go. I really would not touch the 3Com model.

August 12, 2004 4:11:34 AM

B wrote:
> That looks perfect... do you know where I can buy it? Preferably an
> online store that ships to Canada?
>
> Thanks.
>

> On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 14:21:39 +0100, EddWo
> <eddwo@stayawayfromme.hotpop.com> wrote:
>

>>B wrote:
>>
>>>Which ones do you recommend? I would prefer one that doesn't stick out
>>>of the slot much (if at all) so the TDK, Belkin, IBM and Toshiba ones
>>>aren't at the top of my list.
>>>
>>>The 3Com one with the XJACK antenna is a nice design but I've read the
>>>software/drivers are wonky? Can anyone confirm?
>>>
>>>There's a bunch of no-name ones on eBay that have an extendable
>>>antenna but I have not found any reviews. The Zoom model appears to be
>>>similar to these (and fairly cheap)... anyone used one yet?
>>>
>>>Also, which bluetooth devices does Windows XP SP2 support?
>>>
>>>Thanks!
>>
>>The sitecom pcmcia card uses the Widcomm software and has an extendable
>>antenna.
>>The latest widcomm update available on their site seems to be version
>>1.4.2.11
>>http://www.sitecom.com/products_info.php?product_id=223...
>>
>>I don't actually have this card but I think I would choose it if buying
>>a new one. Went through 3 different devices trying to find a suitable
>>card for my tablet PC. I moved from a Mavin CF card with BlueSoleil, to
>>the XJACK 3Com card with their pretty basic software to the TDK PCMCIA
>>card with Widcomm, which sticks out a bit but at least the software is
>>better. This sitecom card looks like the best of both worlds.
>>
>>XP SP2 only seems to support USB devices at the moment, not PCMCIA ones.
>>At least there are no PCMCIA device ids listed in bth.inf.

Sorry I don't know.
I've bought one Sitecom product, a USB KVM, can't remember if I got it
directy from them or through some other reseller. From their site it
looks like they only ship to europe.

http://www.billionton.com.tw/website/product/doc/PCBTC1...

Looking around it appears that the Billionton pcmcia card is the same
one. I think you will probably be able to find that one somewhere in Canada

Also these cards available from Expansys Canada appear to have minimal
bits sticking out.

AnyCom Bluetooth PC Card
http://www.expansys.ca/product.asp?code=ACPC003
Zoom 4312 Bluetooth PC Card
http://www.expansys.ca/product.asp?code=107124
Troy XCD WindPort Bluetooth PC Card
http://www.expansys.ca/product.asp?code=WNDPT
Anonymous
August 12, 2004 5:09:05 PM

B <stuff@bcx.ca> writes:

>Which ones do you recommend? I would prefer one that doesn't stick out
>of the slot much (if at all) so the TDK, Belkin, IBM and Toshiba ones
>aren't at the top of my list.

Socket has a CF version that doesn't stick out at all. (I have one
but BlueZ stopped working with it.)

--kyler
!