After having read most of the relevant info on various forums, sites and
magazines, I feel I have a rough idea what to do so set about trying,
"trying" becoming the operative.
I have a new Toshiba notebook pre-installed with 7 Pro and would like to
instal XP Pro.
The attempt to instal by booting from the disc failed after loading the
files, drivers and controllers with an error reporting loading "setup" was
stopped to prevent damage to computer.
0x0000007B(0x578D2524,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000).
After trying this a number of times with same result, I tried installing in
7 which resulted in an incompatability error that XP could not be loaded
because it was older than 7.
Error - It appears that Microsoft has installed a blocker to prevent earlier
versions being installed.
Problem event name - ApphelpHardBlock
Problem signature 01 - (8of 1s-4of 1s-4of 1s-4of 1s-12of 1s)
Problem signature 02 - (29971a54-0501-40ed-b688-d44a8e74d92)
O.S. version - 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale - 3081
These two errors appear to be linked.
Anyone any thoughts how to get around this block?
Thanks and cheers,
Stuart M.

More about : win dual boot

December 21, 2011 4:23:22 AM

It is always best to install older then newer. That is, XP first, then Windows 7. Windows 7 installer knows how to handle and include the boot configuration of XP. XP has never heard of windows 7 and therefore doesn't know how to deal with it. MS knows this and has included failsafe measures like you mentioned to keep us from crashing our computers.

That being said, let me ask first, is this a brand new, as in, direct from manufacture still with only the original install software and none added by you including setting up preferences, themes, mail, etc.?

If this is the case, then it might be easier to format the hardrive, create a partiton for XP (20 to 50 GB usually works, save data on different -data- partition), create partition for Win7 (40 to 100GB depending on how you use the comp), allocate the remainder of the drive to the final partition to a partition called Data.

Now with Win 7 out of the way, install XP. Keep in mind there may not be drivers available for all of your hardware for XP. You can google that info. After XP is installed, install Win 7 to the second partition.

In win7 you can edit If you want or need to to set the default OS to boot (after the 30 second timout)

For me, I also would create 2 additional partitions of 3 to 10 gig (depending on how you use the computer or OS) for a place to contain the swap files for XP and 7. You can label them as XP swap and Win7 swap and format them. This will give them each a drive letter to show up in windows explorer, but there are cooler and cleaner ways to do this. Post back if you want that info.

You should at this time be able to select the OS of your mood.

Second case, this is an established computer. You could make use of XP mode. Not really the same as dual booting but can run software that just won't run in 7.

If XP Mode is not favorable to you, then use something like Acronis True image to backup the 7 installation. Follow all the steps from the first case above, except instead of installing windows 7, restore the backup image. After that you will need to use the win7 install disk and select repair my computer, then select repair startup issues. That should get you going with both xp and your established win7.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 21, 2011 5:42:49 AM

Next time use this EasyBCD - Download free...

EasyBCD is NeoSmart Technologies' multiple award-winning answer to taking control of your bootloader.

EasyBCD extends and revamps the Windows Vista/Windows 7 BCD bootloader, and with EasyBCD, almost anything is possible.

Setting up and configuring a dual-boot between Windows 7, Windows Vista, older versions of Windows such as XP & 2003, Linux, Ubuntu, BSD, and Mac OS X is a breeze. You just point & click and EasyBCD does the rest.

EasyBCD is free for all private, non-commercial use. For non-private/commercial/for-profit use,

http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/
m
l
Related resources
December 22, 2011 3:10:28 PM

Hi,

As Hydroment correctly stated, it is usually best to install the older operating system prior to installing the newer operating system. In your case, your laptop came with Microsoft Windows 7 Professional pre-installed.

There are two different ways to run Microsoft Windows XP on a computer that runs Windows 7. One way is within a dual boot, or multiboot environment. The first step to note when prepping for a dual boot environment is to ensure you have a separate location for each operating system you intend to use. In this scenario you will want to have one partition for Windows 7 and a second, separate, partition for Microsoft Windows XP Professional. For a helpful video of how this process is performed, please click here. Another helpful resource is the multiboot step-by-step guide Install more than one operating system (multiboot.)

The second way is via a virtual environment utilizing Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC. The second option is available to those who have Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate. To learn more about Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC, please click here.

Jessica
Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro
m
l
December 29, 2011 3:51:05 AM

G'day,
Many thanks to "hydroment", "nikorr" and "winoutreach5" and all the other very helpful responses.
As I am still unable to get Win 7 notebook to instal the XP disc as 7 keeps blocking the setup instal part way through, I have decided to make an image back-up of 7, replace the hard drive, instal XP and, using separate partitions, instal either the original 7 from back-ups or an unused 7 Home. I can always use the original hard drive as a spare or back-up external drive in a USB enclosure.
Anyway, thanks again everyone. I'll let you know how it goes.
Cheers,
stumap.
m
l
December 29, 2011 4:24:35 AM

Sorry, forgot to logout.
Happy New Year everyone.
Cheers,
stumap
m
l
December 29, 2011 11:02:21 PM

Good luck and Happy New Year
m
l
January 10, 2012 5:04:12 AM

G'day,
Thanks to everyone who played their part in helping me sort out my problem of getting XP on my new Toshiba notebook. Those who helped, and there are many, know who they are with all the suggestions and links and such like.
Very much appreciated and hope everyone has a good year.
Thanks.
Cheers,
stumap.
m
l
January 15, 2012 10:47:18 AM

mugs up and cheers
m
l
January 22, 2012 8:15:22 PM

G'day Everyone,
I have solved the problem and will get back to you as soon as I can with the details.
There was really no "best" response as all helped in their own way.
Thanks again.
Cheers,
stumap
m
l
February 13, 2012 2:52:59 AM

G'day Tom's Hardware,
Should you like to send me an email address registered with PayPal, I would
like to make a donation in appreciation for your help.

During recent attempts to instal Win XP onto a new notebook computer
pre-installed with Win 7, I received considerable assistance from many
people across a number of very helpful sites including "Tom's Hardware",
"Seven Forum", PC User Magazine, MailStore Home, "Driver Packs", Tradewind
("DualBootPro") and there may be others of whom I have lost track.
Many, many thanks to all these sites and people all of whom played an
important part.
In the end, the original Win 7 setup was backed to an external hard drive,
the Toshiba Recovery "Console" was used to make a set of recovery DVDs, the
original hard drive was replaced with a new one of similar size and
specification, the appropriate drivers obtained and installed, XP Home SP2
installed, all the necessary programmes, folders and files installed, many
mistakes rectified and cleaned-up, a bootable recovery disc made and it is
almost where it finished. The physical hard drive has been partitioned into
a number of various sized partitions including one which will be kept aside
for Win 7 when required and the original drive may be able to be used as
support for this. This was all done in quite an amateurish manner so