Last response: in Motherboards
October 14, 2012 2:11:32 PM

Hi everyone...
here is my system config....
1. sandy bridge 2500k
2. asus p8p67 pro
3. hd 6850
4. xms 4gb ddr3 1600 mhz ram

Now i have running this machine for the last one year and it has performed like a beast....
last week i updated my bios to 3207 from AI suite application....just searched through the software and it got updated.....
after that there have been several problems...
1. right channel of the audio has stopped working...
2. system has become unstable and gets hanged time and again....on restarting the red leds emit constant light and it doesnt go forward...i mead it doesnt boot....
3. after reading many blogs and forums i cleared my cmos by removing the jumper and placing it in the other 2 pins for a few seconds and again to its original position....it didnt work....it keeps repeating the same thing in due coarse of time....
4. then i removed the battery as i read somewhere that it might help......it didnt...
5. there is a memory go button which was supposed to be pressed when dram led starts emitting light...did that....the led starts blinking and restarts after every 10 seconds....it goes on and on...till i remove the plug to stop it.....
6. tried to downgrade the bios in the same way as i upgraded it....couldn't...
7. it keeps recurring as soon as i shut down the machine....n restart it after sometime......

Please help me out of this mess as soon as possible and i also can't work properly.....i am fed up..
a c 233 V Motherboard
October 14, 2012 4:25:04 PM

What issue did you have that a newer BIOS should have resolved? Did you reset the configuration to the default settings and then save it?
m
l
a c 180 V Motherboard
October 14, 2012 4:57:20 PM

You may have a corrupted bios file and you should reload the file and this time do it in the bios with the Ez-Flash bios utility, doing it through Windows is risky. Go to the Asus site and download the file to your desltop and then unzip it to a usb stick and have that usb stick pluged in when you go into the bios to reflash the fils.
m
l
Related resources
October 16, 2012 12:33:18 PM

the bios could not be loaded again....i had to give the mobo to asus to get it repaired but i still couldn't figure out what went wrong...iwould like to know how i can reset the bios to normal factory settings if my bios goes for a toss in the future..
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
October 16, 2012 3:04:46 PM

BIOS recovery, well for starters if you cannot re-flash your BIOS then the next possibility is to use ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3 or better if available on newer ASUS MOBO's use USB BIOS Flashback.

BIOS Recovery options:
* ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LirQ-oM9XBI
* USB BIOS Flashback (example) - http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/USB_BIOS_Flashback_GUIDE/
* Request if available a User installable replacement BIOS Chip; some are replaceable and some are not (soldered).
* Some ASUS's contain a copy of the (.ROM/.CAP) on the OEM DVD and is another possibility to boot off of (F8).

* Even on a new MOBO you 'can' have a bad CMOS battery and if you can access the BIOS but it gets corrupt replace the battery.

My least enjoyable things to do are BIOS and Firmware updates because you risk 'bricking' you MOBO or other components. In either case 100% of the time wherever possible I remove the OS out of the equation. Further, in the case of BIOS I always (F5) Load Optimized Defaults and (F10) Save and reboot.

If the BIOS is corrupted than often even a re-flash/recovery is hit or miss even with dual-BIOS MOBO's.

If you can post and get into the BIOS corrupt or not the chances of recovery are high. Most folks 'think' they're Clearing the BIOS properly but actually are not, and it starts with first allowing the PSU to completely drain my unplugging it for 5-10 minutes then followed by either the CMOS Jumper or Button in it's clear position for 5+ seconds, and then put the Jumper back or release the button, plug in the PSU and immediately boot into the BIOS and (F5) + other prior required BIOS options (e.g. SATA -> AHCI/RAID, or whatever prior BIOS environment being reestablished).

Proper Clear CMOS procedure (universal) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdHH9KrceR0

In most cases ASUS EZ Flash 2 (F5/F10/Boot to BIOS) is a 'safe option'; more info - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/289507-30-what-flash#...
Also note:
Quote:
Examples 'when to flash':
1. CPU requires newer BIOS version
2. Non-OS Instability
3. Peripherals e.g. 2TB HDD requires new BIOS.
4. Memory compatibility ; where current RAM is causing errors or stability.

BIOS versions are to address 'bugs' and typically offer nothing in performance gains like drivers or some firmware (e.g. SSD's), and in my experience BIOS updates are 50/50 in being faster vs slower. Faster & Buggy or Slower & Stable and then only in synthetic benchmarks. Whereas drivers and some component firmware (e.g. SSD's) can have a huge impact in performance, but again it's not the same in BIOS.

In my case I found a version that worked and the system is rock solid stable, but there are 2 newer versions so why should I take the risks?? Answer - I'm not.
m
l
November 7, 2012 3:59:01 AM

so what i understand once my mobo is back......i will nvr update the bios...its of no basic use....as i am not that well aware of the pros and cons of working with the bios its better not to tamper it.....am i right??
m
l
November 7, 2012 9:30:53 AM

Yep never update your BIOS if not having any problem....BIOS update is required only if something like your mobo is outdated for new processors or graphic cards
m
l
November 12, 2012 4:17:04 AM

hey frnds...i have been informed by my vendor that the p8p67 pro mobo is no longer available and they would pay me back its price....in that which mobo should i go for....my specs are...
1. i5 2500k proc
2. hd 6850 gpu
3. 4gb ddr3 1600 mhz corsair xms
4. 1 tb hdd
5. corsair psu 600w

help me out....should z77 be ok for this configuration...
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
November 12, 2012 10:18:44 AM

For the money the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 is hard to beat, otherwise the step-up is the ASUS P8Z77-V.
m
l
November 20, 2012 4:09:04 AM

what about asus maximus v gene???will it be worth the xtra bucks or should i settle for p8z77...??
m
l
!