Will my hd graphics card support my vga monitor?

jemtray

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
Hi there, since upgrading to Wim7 Ult sp1 my graphics don't work properly.
I cannot use/Enable my ATI hd4250 onboard graphics after doing so after windows boot screen then says out of range, I also have ATI 2400 HD Pci-e and ATI saphire 5550 HD Pci-e and the result's are the same, I'm thinking it is my vga monitor? Can anyone help with this please, thanks in advance.

All craphics cards and onboard graphics have a basic mode that does not need drivers. I think it is 680 x 320 or something like that.

Attach your monitor to the default graphics adapter. That may be the integrated adapter, or one of the pci-e cards.
If all are installed, try each, one.

Once you can see the bios, select which adapter is to handle the bios display, and attach your monitor there.

Whenever you get into windows, you will need to install the appropriate graphics drivers so you can see the full resolution of your display.

jemtray

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
Really i don't know how to do any of that ie, attatch monitor to the graphics adapter??
how does the bios come into it? attatchiing the monitor there? I understand the last statement but sorry the other three are don't make sense to me thanks for the rply.

jemtray

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
I have tried all manner of configurations in the bios, ASUS M4A88t-V EVO,
with it being onboard graphics (ATI HD 4250) After giving up on the other Cards still nothing happens, Im not sure what else to do, I'm trying to understand your answer
(Newby) Sorry.... so you think I should set it to 680x320 an then ????

Your monitor has a cable that plugs into someplace on the computer.

If you plug it into one of the back panel ports of your motherboard, that is an integrated graphics adapter.

If your monitor plugs into a discrete graphics card that in turn is inserted into a pcie slot on the motherboard, that is different.

You mentioned both a 2400 and 5550. Are there two cards plugged into two different pci-e slots?
I suspect not.

Is your problem that there is no image on the monitor, or does the monitor look unusually small, or what?

If you have a display that does not look right, you need to upgrade the graphics driver for the device the monitor is plugged into.

If you see no display, then that is a different problem.

jemtray

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
Well that's it, like you said lastly there is no monitor after windows boots up, ie after windows logo says windows is loading then monitor says "out of range" and it's the same with the other two adapters, Im really at a loss here, thanks again for your replies, I really appreciate it.

What kind of a monitor do you have?

What type of connector?

It looks like your monitor is ok and connected if you can see the bios display.
Leave it attched to the integrated adapter.

Can you boot in safe mode? Tap f8 as you are booting.

I think the refresh rate capability if your monitor may be too low.
If there is an adjustment possible on the monitor, increase it.

Otherwise, while in safe mode
Right-click the desktop, click Properties, and then click Settings.
Click Advanced, click Adapter, and then click Adapter Default from the Refresh Rate list.
Click OK, click OK again, and then click Yes to restart the computer in Normal mode.

Then download and install the chipset drivers for your motherboard. Particularly the graphics drivers.