Sign in with
Your question

New Build Won't POST

Last response: in Systems
September 26, 2011 2:20:51 AM

So, I told a relative I'd build a computer for her, and, lo and behold, I have made myself look foolish. I haven't been able to get it to POST, not even once.

Here are the major components:

* CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 840
* Motherboard: ASUS M4A88T-M
* RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3
* PSU: XIGMATEK ACXTNRP-PC402 400W
* Hard drive: Western Digital WD3200AAKX 320GB
* Case: Rosewill R101-P-BK

There's also a CD-ROM and a piddling video card (we're talking so low budget it doesn't have a fan), but I disconnected those some time ago while testing, and haven't hooked them back up since.

Here's what it's almost certainly NOT:

* The motherboard. I originally had an ASUS M4A88TD-M for this system, but when it wouldn't work, I fingered the motherboard as the most likely culprit after some testing. That model was out of stock at Newegg, so I replaced it with the very similar M4A88T-M.
* The PSU. I hooked the computer up to my desktop's PSU, which is much more powerful and definitely works, and it still wouldn't POST.
* I've tried only using one stick of RAM at a time, which didn't help, so either both sticks are a problem or it's not the RAM.

I'm not getting any beeps from the case speaker, because I can't find the cord for it. Supposedly the case has one, but I'm at a loss for where it is. I don't believe the board is shorting out, either, although I've not breadboarded it to be 100% certain. Oh, and the motherboard has a DRAM_LED that the manual says will "light continuously" if the memory is incompatible or poorly installed. In my case, however, the light just blinks at a steady rate, something the manual doesn't explain.

Any suggestions before I cross my fingers and RMA the CPU and possibly the memory?

More about : build post

September 26, 2011 2:32:12 AM

off the top of my head, are you sure the motherboard is fully plugged in? theres the large numbered pin im sure u have in but are there any more that you have missed? they are often 4 or 6 pin

and btw, condolences. bit of a nightmare really, because we all know things can go wrong building your own computer but we always seem to make out ok. but the ONE time you build someone else a computer and it doesnt work. i feel for you.

if its really time to flex your tech skills and figure out whats wrong, you need a 2nd computer with similar parts so you can figure out exactly what isnt working by swapping parts 1 by 1
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2011 3:04:56 AM

Echo beenthere's recommendation - follow the sticky step by step.

What DOES happen? You say it does not POST. But, what lights come on? What fans turn? Do any devices make a noise - optical drives or HDD's for example? You disconnected the video card, so are you using a video output system built into the mobo? How is it connected?
m
l
September 26, 2011 12:49:26 PM

Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive learn anything like this before. So nice to find someone with some original ideas on this subject. realy thank you for starting this up. this web site is something that is needed on the net, someone with somewhat originality. useful job for bringing something new to the internet!<a href="http://www.amazon.com">Cheap Moncler Jacket</a>,<a href="http://www.parkajacketshop.com/kids-moncler-jackets">Kids Moncler Jackets</a>,<a href="http://www.parkajacketshop.com/men-down-moncler-jacket">Men Down Moncler Jacket</a>
m
l
November 5, 2011 4:28:12 PM

I know it's been a while and this thread has acquired some spam, but I still need help! Life intervened to a large degree, and I'm only now getting to sit down and seriously work on this machine again.

* I've replaced the motherboard and the CPU, and it still won't POST. AMD apparently confirmed that the previous CPU wasn't working, but replacing it hasn't helped.

* I bought a case speaker, and it won't beep at all, no matter what, even when all the RAM is removed.

* I've breadboarded it, and nothing changes.

* The fans all work, the little green light on the motherboard that shows it's getting power lights up, and it's definitely connected to the monitor.

* The replacement CPU has a small scratch on the top. Is it possible the replacement is also busted?

Any thoughts?
m
l
November 8, 2011 8:47:54 AM

i had the same problem. My PSU has a wire with 3 molex connectors AND a 4 pin connector. when i connected my fans via molex, i also plugged in the 4 pin connector into the motherboard.

As this is my first time building a computer from scratch i assumed the 4 pin connector was to be plugged into the motherboard system fan slot.

when i took the 4 pin connector out, the system successfully booted. So it turned out it wasnt a PSU problem at all, just a connection problem.

Hope this helps anyone experiencing the same problem.
m
l
!