Sign in with
Your question

Is my motherboard bottlenecking my hd 6850?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 26, 2011 6:40:56 PM

My machine specs are-
Asus M4N68T-M LE V2 motherboard
amd phenom ii x2 550 3.1 ghz
2gb kingston ddr3 1333mhz
4gb zion ddr3 1333mhz
2 x 500gb seagate hdd
sapphire amd hd 6850
i am not getting the desired performance in games. Getting unexpectedly low fps while gaming. i game at 1280x1024. i shouldn't get such low fps n lags in games like splinter cell conviction or assassin's creed brotherhoood. can any one please help me out by specifying what can lead me to this problem????? is it that i have pcie x16 slot and not pcie 2 x16??????
thanks in advance......
July 26, 2011 7:13:42 PM

R u using fraps to deduce the FPS ?
m
l
July 27, 2011 5:05:53 AM

i sometimes use fraps to check my fps but in most of the games like mafia 2(where i got rank d), just cause 2( avg fps 30 in 1280x1024 resolution) i use the in-game benchmark tool for checking the performance :(  ......
m
l
Related resources
July 27, 2011 5:49:26 AM

Yes your processor is severly happering the ability of the 6850 because its an X2 which is a dualcore not a quadcore, to fully maximize the potential of the card you need at least a decent quadcore.
m
l
July 27, 2011 6:07:21 AM

Your CPU is the problem most games of this generation are moving quickly towards a need for quad core processors in order to perform well. You can get a fairly inexpensive upgrade to a quad core of the same amd family. If you have a after market cooler This is a good choice http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168.... I commonly make a recommendation to get the lowest clocked AMD if you have decent cooling if you know any thing about OCing you can usealy push them past even the top end CPU of the same model. Note : not all ways the case just a opinion.
m
l
July 27, 2011 6:11:59 AM

that board has a utility in bios called "core unlocker" does it not??? might even have a switch on the mobo......shut your rig down,,, and before you boot it up open her up and flip that switch....boot it up and see what happens,,,run your task manager to check for more available cores

good luck
m
l
July 27, 2011 6:13:43 AM

what will the best quad core processor of amd???? i have a budget of $120-130. Regardless of the budget please suggest me a quad core processor. I can wait so that i can pull my budget up but not very high up. I can pull it up to a certain extent :( .
m
l
July 27, 2011 6:15:57 AM

That board is in fact a core unlock board and that model cpu has had some good success with unlocks.
m
l
July 27, 2011 6:17:08 AM

badtaylorx said:
that board has a utility in bios called "core unlocker" does it not??? might even have a switch on the mobo......shut your rig down,,, and before you boot it up open her up and flip that switch....boot it up and see what happens,,,run your task manager to check for more available cores

good luck

I have unlocked all the four cores but as because the fourth core is unstable i stopped that one. i am currently running my pc with 3 cores but the games are still lagging ;(......
m
l
July 27, 2011 6:18:05 AM

have you tried overclocking???
m
l
July 27, 2011 6:21:39 AM

badtaylorx said:
have you tried overclocking???

No. Actually my CPU is just an year old. I am just afraid i might spoil my CPU while trying to OC it. Thats y i dint try out my luck there!!!!
m
l
July 27, 2011 6:24:33 AM

yeah....the 550 doesnt have the unlocked multiplier either..........id go with that pii x4 black edition processor....

and dont be afraid to o/c it to at leas 3.8 (as long as your running an aftermarket cooler)

Will a 965 be better than a 955????

yes
m
l
July 27, 2011 6:28:04 AM

Considering the fact that its just a little over your max budget I'm not sure its a great option for you , ya you will see a performance boost but in real world situations like multi tasking or just gaming around you wont see a big difference between my first link and the black edition for 34% more cost. This on the other hand is a really great deal http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168.... If you look its only a .2 ghz drop for roughly 25% less cost but that is while the extra 10$ of is still in effect.
m
l
July 27, 2011 6:29:40 AM

badtaylorx said:
yeah....the 550 doesnt have the unlocked multiplier either..........id go with that pii x4 black edition processor....

and dont be afraid to o/c it to at leas 3.8 (as long as your running an aftermarket cooler)

Will a 965 be better than a 955????

yes

Thanks for your help. So i will wait for sometime and will go for the 965 :) . And wich aftermarket cooler will be suitable for me to buy and what will be its price????
m
l
July 27, 2011 6:35:03 AM

I still think with the discount the 960 for almost 30$ less is a better deal when you do the math your losing a almost unnoticeable amount of power for a fair discount.
m
l
July 27, 2011 6:42:12 AM

And on the Cooler point I don't know your budget so I recommend 4 a different price points all great buys.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 30$ free shiping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 90$ monster of a cooling unit can undo global warming in a regional area

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 41$ with a mail in rebate Zalman is a respected name in cooling and i personally own one keep in mind it can be quite a large item if you have a small case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... any cheaper then this and you'r better off sticking with stock probably.
m
l
July 27, 2011 6:42:36 AM

illfindu said:
I still think with the discount the 960 for almost 30$ less is a better deal when you do the math your losing a almost unnoticeable amount of power for a fair discount.

I'l mark your words for consideration friend. but i just now called the dealer up just to verify whether a 960 is available in their stock or not. But unfortunately they only have 955 BE and 965!!!!
m
l
July 27, 2011 6:47:35 AM

Eathier way you are gonna be with a new quad with that card and a nice shine new quad core you should be able to get your fps up a bit and even be able to play most new PC games coming out.
m
l
July 27, 2011 6:54:26 AM

no the problem is not with ur processor I've played assassin's creeed play that game on my old pc core 2 duo@3ghz and i played it several times and the game was maxed out with no problem a game like just cause requires a VgA more than the processor as it needs gts 250/hd 5750 to run the game with the highst settings and Assasssin's Creed don't require a good processor nor a good vga did u try to turn of the Vsync and the AA try that if it worked then i'll give u a good fix for U R problem
m
l
July 27, 2011 6:56:40 AM

another thing when did You change ur VGA did ue a new windows and what the type of windows R u using ?
m
l
July 27, 2011 4:44:38 PM

omarBaRcA said:
another thing when did You change ur VGA did ue a new windows and what the type of windows R u using ?

Yea i did format my pc aftr instaling the new hardware. i'm using windows 7 ultimate 64bit. which is the thing that is bottlenecking?
m
l
July 27, 2011 7:44:33 PM

illfindu said:
If unlocking the cores dont work and you don't feel safe overclocking the CPU this is a great choice for you right now if you feel you wanna get you FPS up right now you will get a nice boost right away. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I never try to sound derogatory on these forums, however please never suggest an older generation processor? You have a Phenom II, don't touch an Athlon.

To reiterate my point, if you feel the Phenom II x4's he posted later on are to expensive. Do not purchase an Althon instead, just tinker with what you have

edit: I also don't think the problem is with your cpu. Your specs should run that game just fine. Perhaps disable a few graphic settings such as AA/AF settings or ultimately turn off shadows -- also ensure your graphic drivers are up to date :) 
m
l
July 27, 2011 11:59:06 PM

jonnyrb said:
I never try to sound derogatory on these forums, however please never suggest an older generation processor? You have a Phenom II, don't touch an Athlon.

To reiterate my point, if you feel the Phenom II x4's he posted later on are to expensive. Do not purchase an Althon instead, just tinker with what you have

edit: I also don't think the problem is with your cpu. Your specs should run that game just fine. Perhaps disable a few graphic settings such as AA/AF settings or ultimately turn off shadows -- also ensure your graphic drivers are up to date :) 

Thats not an older generation processor, thats from 2010 i bought one for my HTPC and it works pretty good. Athlon II is the new series from AMD for the mainstream market with the difference being the disabled L3 Cache or no L3 Cache at all on the chip. While the phenom II series is for the enthusiast line of products so its not a generation old. If you can find a phenom II for cheaper with a higher clock get that but otherwise its not a bad quadcore i can Attest to that.
m
l
July 28, 2011 4:55:47 AM

jonnyrb said:

i play at 1280x1024. my drivers are upto date. i am using a hd 6850. i dont think there should be these kinds of problems with my resolution. i should be able to play most of the games till date in their highest settings (atleast i should be able to max out conviction cause i have seen my frnd with the same card can). Shouldn't i????
m
l
January 1, 2012 3:12:02 AM

If you get a quad you will be disappointed as you will NOT see a huge impact in games!

I have a stock 555BE which is 3.2ghz compared to your 3.1ghz, practically same chips at stock(both callisto chips) paired with xfx 6850. I play at 1680x1050 on max settings in every game I play and get 30+ fps in BF3, Skyrim, and New Vegas.

1280x1024 is quite low res by todays standards. You should have no problem maxing games at that resolution with a 6850 and a 550.

Do you have any monitoring software such as hwmonitor or speedfan to make sure nothing is to hot?

It seems more like software or heat issue. But first, what power supply do you have?

Even though 6850s are effecient, if they cant get their power they will not perform as they should.

edit:

SORRY FOR THE BUMP!!!! Was just searching and not paying attention....
m
l
March 18, 2012 6:28:35 AM

lol, i was doing the same ... but i agree that it is probably a software issue. maybe even needing to do a clean format and reinstall.
that is what i had to do when i got my 6850 ... after backing up all my important stuff and reinstalling my system screams (to me anyway) i am running an phenom ii x4 b55 with no L3 (unlocked athlon ii x3 455 on relatively the same mobo ... mine is not an LE). what hurts me is my 1080p monitor (sounded like a good idea at the time but consider i drop the rez to game i guess it wasn't). still, even though the bump happened it is still good info.
m
l
!