Buying guide. 28th Dec, 2011 AMD!

jpeg14

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
Hi there,

All you gamers out there that are using cheaper/older AM3 boards, with decent phenom chips. Treasure them and take care because after they go you'll be in the same boat as me. Looking for a NEW BOARD and NEW CPU!

Those at AMD decided no more phenom chips will come to our local stores. all the stores that i have visited say that phenom will not release any more stock for the phenom cpus. That means..

No more cheap gaming rigs from AMD
I cant find these chips anywhere:
AMD II x4 (955,960t, etc)
AMD II x6 (1090,1100,etc)

The only 'AMD' option i see from here is to go with a FX chip, but.. "Please note: AMD FX Processors require an AMD 9-Series motherboard with socket AM3+; these processors are not backward compatible with previous generation motherboards".
So everyone with a motherboard under the 9 series is screwed! this also means that you probably cant get warrenty clams on your cpus since: THEY DONT MAKE THEM ANYMORE.

I hope there planning a come back! If they dont.. I advise stay away from AMD.

The more you spend on your computer now (eg: good quality parts, future proof hardware) the less you spend on your pc later on.

I hope this information comes in handy.

bawchicawawa

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Erm, i'm pretty sure they are still scheduled for second generation/2012, third generation/2013, and forth generation/2014 Bulldozer cpus.

I have my 3.8 955 to hold me down. I really love APUs and want to experiment with the trinity when it comes out, seeing how successful the llanos were. =p