Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Patch panel, do I need a switch?

Last response: in Networking
November 5, 2010 2:12:01 PM

Hi -
My house came pre-wired with CAT6 with the main feed coming into a RJ45/Coax (cable tv) Patch Panel with 8 connections in my hall closet. I want to be able to use the pre-wired jacks throughout my house, but I'm not sure if I should just put the cable modem, and an 8-port router in the panel box or if I also need a 8-port gigabit switch with a router?

#1: Internet > Cable Modem > Router > Switch > Patch Panel?

#2: Internet > Cable Modem > Router > Patch Panel?

#3: Internet > Cable Modem > Router/w built-in switch (?) > Patch Panel?

I would ultimately like to have a media case for a HTPC and backup all networked. I already have a wireless router that I'd still like to utilize as well.

When I removed the CAT6 jacks from the wall, I noticed that all 6 wires are going into the jack; do I have to separate any of them?

Thanks for any help!

More about : patch panel switch

November 5, 2010 6:59:37 PM

@Emerald
I don't know why I'm so foggy about this stuff! Do I need to use a switch though? I guess I would if I want the gigabit network, right?

Perhaps you can answer this question too - I have two RJ45 connections behind my TV where I would like to put my existing wireless router. Should I plug in my Xbox and any other network able devices into the wireless router or should I get another gigabit switch and plug that into the second RJ45 and plug the devices into the switch while leaving the wireless router in the first RJ45?
m
l
Related resources
November 5, 2010 7:05:45 PM

which wireless router do you have?
m
l
November 5, 2010 7:27:39 PM

At which location will the Cable connect to the modem?
m
l
November 5, 2010 7:34:41 PM

Cable will connect to the modem in the wiring box inside the closet which also houses the patch panel.

My phone lines run on the RJ45 as well (not sure if that matters)
m
l
November 5, 2010 9:48:35 PM

So if you want to have your router by your TV, you will have to connect the modem to one of the two connections in the wiring box that lead to the outlets behind the TV. Connect the Internet port to the wall outlet that has the modem connected on the other end.

then connect one of the 4 ports to the other wall outlet which leads back to the wiring box.

in the wiring box you will connect the switch to the return feed from the router.

now you can connect the rest of the patch panel to the switch.

back at the router you can now connect you TV, and Xbox to the three available ports. Should you need more ports at the TV just add a switch.

m
l
November 5, 2010 11:41:04 PM

Patch panel is just a way to manage your cables. it doesn't do anything.

You can just use the router but if you need more than 4 ports you'll need a switch. Basically you would just plug the cables from the switch to the patch panel. Then plug the router into the switch.

ithink2much said:
Hi -
My house came pre-wired with CAT6 with the main feed coming into a RJ45/Coax (cable tv) Patch Panel with 8 connections in my hall closet. I want to be able to use the pre-wired jacks throughout my house, but I'm not sure if I should just put the cable modem, and an 8-port router in the panel box or if I also need a 8-port gigabit switch with a router?

#1: Internet > Cable Modem > Router > Switch > Patch Panel?

#2: Internet > Cable Modem > Router > Patch Panel?

#3: Internet > Cable Modem > Router/w built-in switch (?) > Patch Panel?

I would ultimately like to have a media case for a HTPC and backup all networked. I already have a wireless router that I'd still like to utilize as well.

When I removed the CAT6 jacks from the wall, I noticed that all 6 wires are going into the jack; do I have to separate any of them?

Thanks for any help!

m
l
November 7, 2010 1:46:51 AM

Hey guys -
I apologize for not doing this before, but I went and looked up the model number and it turns out I have a combo module; 8 coax and 8 RJ45. Here's the manufacturer's info:

Quote:
The Eaton ESWD80800 Coaxial and Telephone Distribution Module provides distribution of one incoming coaxial signal (TV or cable TV) to eight locations, two satellite TV signals to two locations, and four incoming telephone lines to eight locations.

I'm slowly coming close to the assumption that what I have is not a true patch panel.

There is a single Cat6 line going into the back of the combo module into a single punch down, then from the "blue area" runs 8 Cat6 cables going to all the rooms in the house. I also have a single coax going into the module and split to the rooms.

So if this is a Coaxial / Telephone Module, does that mean I need to run Cat6 cable to all the rooms I want to have connected? Is there anyway I can use the existing Cat6 cable for both phone and data? What would my new configuration be in the wiring box? Can what I have to a real patch panel?

Once again, sorry for not looking up the model number and what I really had in the wiring box...

Thanks guys

Edit: Maybe this needs to be moved to another sub-category?
m
l
November 7, 2010 4:13:08 AM

you said that you have face plates in each room. do you have CAT6 cables with RJ45 connectors coming into the wiring box
m
l
November 7, 2010 5:09:21 AM

Wait this thing is only for TV and phone, it doesn't say anything about data.
So you are saying RJ45 cable are all ready plunged in to front of this?
If so then this doesn't not support data at all. and this setup wont work for data.

this tell your how to wire it
http://www.eaton.com/ecm/idcplg?IdcService=GET_FILE&all...

A normal patch panel (for date at least) those front ports go to switches or routers. all of the wiring for the rooms are wired in to the back.

m
l
November 7, 2010 6:28:02 AM

are there cables plug into the front of eaton?
m
l
November 7, 2010 12:08:16 PM

Hi, yes there are 8 Cat6 cables coming into the wiring box with RJ45 connectors going into the blue area of the module. I attached pics to give you guys a better idea.

On the last pic, you see a blue cable running behind the box, that is the main line that is punched down into the back of the module. We only use one phone RJ11 jack in the house and that is in the kitchen as we always use a wireless phone.
m
l
November 7, 2010 1:56:58 PM

ithink2much said:
Hi, yes there are 8 Cat6 cables coming into the wiring box with RJ45 connectors going into the blue area of the module. I attached pics to give you guys a better idea.

http://imgur.com/GS6OY.jpg

http://imgur.com/S61Lb.jpg

On the last pic, you see a blue cable running behind the box, that is the main line that is punched down into the back of the module. We only use one phone RJ11 jack in the house and that is in the kitchen as we always use a wireless phone.

Bad news I think this is just for phone.
Those blue cables that run up to the rooms should be behind that box, and you plug cables running to switches in the ports on the front.

What connections are the ports in the rooms? Are they RJ11 or RJ45?
I am betting they are RJ11. If so you need to change the port to RJ45. I have never wired a RJ11 port with an cat5 or 6 cable before so i don't know what it will look like. You just need to make sure all of the wires are there from the cable, and wire it the same as they did on that diagram I put a link to on my last post.
Then you should be able to just unplug the cable from that patch panel plug it directly in to the switch or router.
m
l
November 7, 2010 2:15:52 PM

So if you want to have your router by your TV, you will have to connect the modem to the coax cable (might have to use a Splitter). Connect the Internet port of the router to the modem.

then connect one of the 4 ports to the other wall outlet (hope they are RJ45) which leads back to the wiring box.

in the wiring box you will connect all the blue cables to the switch.

back at the router you can now connect you TV, and Xbox to the three available ports. Should you need more ports at the TV just add a switch
m
l
November 7, 2010 4:09:48 PM

Catsrules said:
Bad news I think this is just for phone.
Those blue cables that run up to the rooms should be behind that box, and you plug cables running to switches in the ports on the front.

What connections are the ports in the rooms? Are they RJ11 or RJ45?
I am betting they are RJ11. If so you need to change the port to RJ45. I have never wired a RJ11 port with an cat5 or 6 cable before so i don't know what it will look like. You just need to make sure all of the wires are there from the cable, and wire it the same as they did on that diagram I put a link to on my last post.
Then you should be able to just unplug the cable from that patch panel plug it directly in to the switch or router.

The jacks in the rooms ARE RJ45 connections. My ethernet cables can fit in them, as well as a RJ11. They say Cat6 on them in tiny indented letters. Kind of like this one

m
l
November 7, 2010 4:30:26 PM

Then it should work

good luck
m
l
November 7, 2010 10:11:44 PM

Emerald said:
Then it should work

good luck

Feel free to slap me, but me baffled. So what would my set up now be? Do I need a 8 port router and switch?

Internet > Cable Modem > X-port Router > X-port Switch > Rooms?

So then I guess I really only have 1 RJ45 behind the TV. Would I do RJ45 jack > wireless router > switch > xbox/boxee or RJ45 > switch > wireless router > xbox / boxee
m
l

Best solution

November 7, 2010 10:54:24 PM

1) at your TV area connect the TV-Cable to your Cable Modem.

2) connect the Cable Modem to your Router via Network Cable.

3) connect one of the 4 ports of the Router to the Wall Jack (RJ45), and one to your Xbox.

4) in the Wiring Box connect all 8 blue cables to the 8 Port Switch.

The router you have should have 4 Ports. If you should need more ports, just add a 5 port switch (like Netgear GS105) for about $30
November 8, 2010 12:35:19 PM

Best answer selected by ithink2much.
m
l
November 8, 2010 1:20:38 PM

I really appreciate the help with all this, thank you!! Is there any way I can put the router and switch in the wiring box or won't that work?
m
l
November 8, 2010 2:24:17 PM

In theory, Yes, you could do that; however, you should not.

You want your router in an open space. Ideally in an elevated location for best signal distribution. The less obstacles (walls) the better the WiFi signal.

If you really prefer to have everything in the wiring box, let me know and I will change the wiring instructions. In addition I also would not recommend to do it since could create a heat problem in that little box.
m
l
November 8, 2010 2:42:29 PM

I have an old 4-port WRT Linksys router (not wireless) sitting around that I would like to use. The wireless router is what I'm using now that I would put behind the TV.

I guess I could attach the switch to the wall next to the wiring box and run the wires out and back in. There's a pre-cut hole on one of the sides.
m
l
November 8, 2010 2:53:39 PM

Putting the switch inside the box by itself will be fine.

I was concerned about heat if you wanted to place the router and modem inside the box, too.

Since it seems you would like to use wireless, I would use the only the wireless router which probably has more up to date Gaming settings.
m
l
February 13, 2011 7:52:53 PM

Regurgitating an old thread here... So, I never did get around to this at the time, but I attempted to hook all this up this weekend. Yet, I forgot that my cable modem also has a RJ11 (phone) port in the back for our digital phone service. The RJ11 from the cable modem goes into the Cat5e jack in the wall and down to the combo module pictured earlier.

Now I think I'm officially up a creek because I only have one Cat5e connection behind the TV - as per your set up instructions.

Any idea what my options are now?

Thanks...
m
l
February 15, 2011 8:13:11 PM

that should be fine. without getting into detail

you are doing the cable modem and router behind the tv.

then you are connecting to the rest of the house with the wall jack.

you only need 1 port behind the tv to hook up this way

If you are putting the router by the tv ( I would)

all the devices that require an ethernet connection by the tv
(htpc or whatever) would plug into the router not the wall.
m
l
February 15, 2011 8:23:16 PM

rand_79 said:
that should be fine. without getting into detail

you are doing the cable modem and router behind the tv.

then you are connecting to the rest of the house with the wall jack.

you only need 1 port behind the tv to hook up this way

If you are putting the router by the tv ( I would)

all the devices that require an ethernet connection by the tv
(htpc or whatever) would plug into the router not the wall.

Right, but the thing is my cable modem has data and voice in one. I need to plug in the RJ11 phone cord from the cable modem into the Cat5e wall jack in order for my phone to work OR put the cable modem in the wiring box so I can plug the phone cord into an empty Cat5e jack in the combo module. I only have one Cat5e in each room.
m
l
February 15, 2011 8:32:37 PM

Would a Cat5e splitter work in what you describe rand_79?
m
l
!