Closed Solved

Will this power supply be sufficient?

I'm going to be doing an almost complete system upgrade soon buying a new CPU, motherboard, RAM, and video card. What I plan on getting is a Core i5 2500k, 8 gigs DDR3, a motherboard I haven't decided on yet, and either a GTX 560 Ti or 570(just one for now, but within another month or two will get a second one for SLI).

My current PSU is an Antec EA-650, http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=NjY=. Will this be enough to support what I want? My guess is that yes, it will be sufficient for now, but may not be when I add the second video card.

TIA,
Justin
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about will power supply sufficient
  1. You are correct in that the 650w will be enough for now but certianly not for when you get the second video card especially if is a 570. You may want to go with a 850w just to make sure and you can never have too much watts. The good thing is that if you know you will be doing SLI , then between now and then you can be on the lookout for a sale on psu's and try to catch a good deal.
  2. Best answer
    For a system using two GeForce GTX 570 graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 800 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 56 Amps or greater and that has at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

For a system using two GeForce GTX 560 Ti graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 700 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 44 Amps or greater and that has at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Your Antec EarthWatts Series 650 (EA 650 - EC), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 45 Amps and with one 6 pin and one 6+2 pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is only sufficient for a single GeForce GTX 570 or a single GeForce GTX 560 Ti.

Adding a second graphics card requires two more PCI Express supplementary power connectors and more +12 Volt rail capacity.
  3. ^+1
    Good guidelines.
    A quality 650W unit would run GTX 560ti Sli with your specs imo.
    750W for the 570's.
    Antec,Corsair,XFX,OZC,and Seasonic.
  4. Thanks for the help guys. Seem like my assumption was correct.
    Good to know that I can make due with what I have now and not have to worry about a PSU upgrade until it comes time to add the second card. That way I can hold off until I see a good deal to snag somewhere.

Even though it's not in my immediate plans, I might even grab one in the 900-1000W range so I have the available power should I decide to throw in a dedicated Physx card too(which isn't totally out of the question)
  5. Like I said it's always good to have extra watts and you just posted why that is true , you never know what you are going to add and it would be a pain to have to change the power supply everytime you want to add something.
  6. Best answer selected by Thanatopsis.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Graphics Cards Motherboards Components