Is my Computer running too hot?

fishout1

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
This was my first build and im not too sure if my cpu fan is seated right. Im getting 46-49 idle temps at 800 mhz and its beginning to bother me, i haven't overclocked and i was sorta hoping to, thats the point of after market coolers right?

Specs:

CPU: Phenom II x4 975 BE @ 3600 Mhz, idling@ 800 Mhz

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3

Fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo (pain to get in)

GPU: XFX Radeon 6870 2gb

Power:Rosewill HIVE Series HIVE-750 750W

Ram: Ripjaws X series 2x4gbs DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)

Case: NZXT Apollo

Used artic silver 5 and the one grain of rice method.

I was putting on the heat-sink but had to reseat it a few times, due the screws not aligning, should i open the computer up and reapply the thermal paste? its been 2 days and i know the thermal paste has a break in period, but its just been worrying me.

Solution
Idle temps are too high.

Clean off the old thermal paste. Piece of coffee filter and isopropyl alcohol works well. If like me, you do not drink coffee, you can use a clean lint-free rag. Then reapply the thermal compound. I use this method:
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=170&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=0

Do not worry about the break in period. I have been using AS5 for years and I have never noticed any kind of break in period.

Reassemble and test. Airflow through the cooler should be from the front of the case toward the rear case fan.

If you still have high temps, open the side panel and use a table fan to blow air into the computer case. If your temps decrease, you have an airflow problem...

ulillillia

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
46 to 49C for idling is very high. For idling, you should be about 5C to 10C above your room's temp. 46 to 49 is more of an "under load" kind of temp. Thus, try reseating your heat sink or, better yet, add a bit more thermal grease.

Idle temps are too high.

Clean off the old thermal paste. Piece of coffee filter and isopropyl alcohol works well. If like me, you do not drink coffee, you can use a clean lint-free rag. Then reapply the thermal compound. I use this method:
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=170&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=0

Do not worry about the break in period. I have been using AS5 for years and I have never noticed any kind of break in period.

Reassemble and test. Airflow through the cooler should be from the front of the case toward the rear case fan.

If you still have high temps, open the side panel and use a table fan to blow air into the computer case. If your temps decrease, you have an airflow problem inside your case.

If you still have high temps, it's possible that your temp monitoring program is not reading your thermal sensors properly. Download and install RealTemp and CoreTemp for second and third opinion.

It is also possible that the system temperature sensors are faulty.

Solution

fishout1

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Thanks for the help, I was able to get the temps down to 32 C idle, apparently my cooler was not seat properly and wasn't making full contact with the surface of the processor. I have been using SpeedFan for temp testing and also Everest for another opinion. I also will be adding another case fan in the near future, to help with airflow.

Thanks