Sign in with
Your question

Switching from 2 video cards to 1 dx11 card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 26, 2011 8:23:54 PM

I currently have two Gforce 9600 GT 1 GB's in my PC. I was thinking of upgrading to ATI 5770, mainly for DX11 compatibility and because it seems like a better card. Is this worth it or am I going to lose performance? Basically, will my two 9600 GT's work better than one ATI 5770, DX11 notwithstanding?

Thanks!
July 26, 2011 8:33:36 PM

Your better off sticking with the Dual 9600GT, you lose alot of performance switching to one 5770.
a c 214 U Graphics card
July 26, 2011 8:44:16 PM

A 5770 is only slightly more powerful than a 9600GT SLI.The 5770 gains about 10-20 FPS depending on the CPU and the game.I would reccomend going with something like a 6850 or 6870 to make the upgrade worthwhile.

Whats your budget?

What is the make/model of your PSU?
Related resources
July 26, 2011 8:47:25 PM

I have an Intel Quad Core 2.4 Ghz. The computer came with two 9600 GT's in it. I'm operating on a budget (200 or so) and that card seemed slightly better (as you said, plus DX11 compatible). But will going from two GPU's to one make the upgrade pointless?
July 26, 2011 9:02:45 PM

Also I should point out I only have 3 GB of RAM. Is that a serious problem or can a 6850 still optimally function with that?
a c 214 U Graphics card
July 26, 2011 9:17:21 PM

3G of RAM isn't really a problem although more RAM would only beinift you.You should think about adding more whenever you have the extra cash.

The 9600GT was a powerful card in it's day but it's terribly outdated.A 5770 is the entry level graphics cards for gamers that are intrested in ATI/AMD.If just a single 5770 can slighty beat a 9600GT SLI then i'm sure you would see a dramatic improvement with a 6870.And actually their are a lot more hastles to worry about with a multi-card soultion.Most often some games don't even support a SLI/Crossfire so you actually end up loosing out.I think going with a single card is much better all around.

The only problem going with a 6870 is that it will be bottlenecked by your CPU.2.4ghz isn't a good speed to be using a 6870.I would suggest O.C.ing if you can.The 6870 is the best card you can get for $200.Their selling for around $180 and are about x3 times as powerful as a 9600GT SLI.

What is the make/model of your power supply?
July 26, 2011 9:43:27 PM

Even with a 2.4Ghz Cpu u'll notice an outstanding difference even with a bottlenecked 6870. I would only suggest getting a better Cpu if ur planning on Crossfiring
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 26, 2011 9:48:26 PM

purple stank said:
3G of RAM isn't really a problem although more RAM would only beinift you.You should think about adding more whenever you have the extra cash.

The 9600GT was a powerful card in it's day but it's terribly outdated.A 5770 is the entry level graphics cards for gamers that are intrested in ATI/AMD.If just a single 5770 can slighty beat a 9600GT SLI then i'm sure you would see a dramatic improvement with a 6870.And actually their are a lot more hastles to worry about with a multi-card soultion.Most often some games don't even support a SLI/Crossfire so you actually end up loosing out.I think going with a single card is much better all around.

The only problem going with a 6870 is that it will be bottlenecked by your CPU.2.4ghz isn't a good speed to be using a 6870.I would suggest O.C.ing if you can.The 6870 is the best card you can get for $200.Their selling for around $180 and are about x3 times as powerful as a 9600GT SLI.

What is the make/model of your power supply?

I think you have that arse about face and your spelling sucks.
a c 214 U Graphics card
July 26, 2011 9:49:24 PM

I still suggest you try to O.C to around 3ghz if possible.Basicly your paying full price for a card thats only gonna deliever about 65% of it's value.But as Starravier said you will see a huge boost in performance.

What games are you trying to play and at what resoultion?
a c 214 U Graphics card
July 26, 2011 9:51:46 PM

What do you suggest?

And yes I know my spelling sucks.
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 26, 2011 9:55:28 PM

purple stank said:
What do you suggest?

And yes I know my spelling sucks.

I suggest that you give us a run down of the SLi/Crossfire rigs that you have run and the games that you have played on those rigs that didn't support a dual card configuration.
July 26, 2011 10:00:59 PM

Mousemonkey said:
I suggest that you give us a run down of the SLi/Crossfire rigs that you have run and the games that you have played on those rigs that didn't support a dual card configuration.

Sometimes mousemonkey, you can be quite entertaining :) 
a c 214 U Graphics card
July 26, 2011 10:01:15 PM

I meant a suggestion twards the OP.

I haven't ever owned a crossfire setup but i'm hoping too soon.I've heard in these forums many times of people having issues with their multi-card setups.
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2011 10:08:44 PM

Hey my spelling sucks to0 ! But in games that support 2 cards the 9600's will likely be faster. Two 88/9800 Gt's beats a 280, and i'm pretty sure 2x9600 (saw a review here "many moons ago") will beat a 260 and that is slightly better (more fps) than a 5770

I'd say you need to overclock your CPU if possible. SETFSB if your motherboard does not allow for manual overclocking http://www.overclock.net/downloads/255892-setfsb-2-0-a....
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 26, 2011 10:10:50 PM

starravier said:
Sometimes mousemonkey, you can be quite entertaining :) 

Thank you.
purple stank said:
I meant a suggestion twards the OP.

I haven't ever owned a crossfire setup but i'm hoping too soon.I've heard in these forums many times of people having issues with their multi-card setups.

So how do you know that most games don't support SLi or Crossfire? Parroting others is no substitute for personal experience.
a c 125 U Graphics card
July 26, 2011 10:15:53 PM

A 5770 is a $100 and not that good for 1080p gaming anyway. I'd say go with a 6850, 550Ti, 560, or 6870. I can't really say if a single 5770 is better than two 9600GTs because they are so far apart that they're benched on totally different games and settings.

I'd also have to call into question having 3GBs of RAM on a dual channel setup. If you're running two 1gb chips and two 512mb chips then you're ok, but if you're running, say, 3 1gb chips then you're actually losing out on a lot of performance due to not being able to run dual channel. For around $50 you should be able to find a 2x2gb set of RAM and then you're good to go.

OCing the CPU would also be great, but you'll need a cooler and also if your PC was a prebuilt (Acer, Dell, Gateway etc) then you're out of luck. You'd need to spend another $80-100 on a new mobo to OC it.
a c 214 U Graphics card
July 26, 2011 10:17:32 PM

I tryed looking for benchmarks to compare the 2 cards but they were released to far apart.So I compared them with COD 4.I would of looked at more benchmarks if I had found them but the games tested were to far apart.In the benchmarks the 5770 averaged about 40 fps more so I gave the benifit of the doubt to the 9600GT SLI and got about 20FPS.

I don't.

What do you think about the 9600GT SLI vs the 5770?
July 26, 2011 10:32:07 PM

+1 for overclocking the Quad Core 2.4ghz (I'm guessing it's a Q6600). With a 6870 or similar you will notice a significant performance boost in games if you get it to ~3ghz

HOWEVER the Q6600 OC runs notoriously hot (quad cores) so you will want a decent air cooler. I am guessing by the fact your computer 'came with' it's current SLI setup you didn't build it in which case it's highly possible that it's running a stock and/or cheap cooler.

Hint: The E8400 (3Ghz, dual core version of the Q6600) was known to be significantly faster in most games simply because of the clock speed difference.

+1 for going up to 4GB RAM for gaming

So, in short... Save a bit more and do your best to stretch your budget closer to $300 if you can - spend $50 on a decent air cooler to OC the Q6600 to a 'reasonable' clock around 3ghz (google this for help if you need it) and spend another $50 on an upgrade to 4GB RAM.

If money is really tight, I believe you would actually probably be better off buying a 6850 and spending the money saved on that on a decent cooler to OC that processor, than just buying the 6870 and sticking it in to a 2.4ghz system.
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2011 10:33:27 PM

Grab a 5870 and use one of your 9600 as a physx card..
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2011 11:38:18 PM

christop said:
Grab a 5870 and use one of your 9600 as a physx card..

There ya go, the 9600's even when they were "new", were NOT know as great gaming cards, they were bottom of the barrel for gaming.
A cardinal sin for SLI or Crossfire.....putting 2 low end cards together hoping for great performance, you are far better off to spend the money on a higher end single card. I have no idea why someone would have purposely bought 2 9600's for SLI at the same time. I could understand if you already had one and later obtained another for a sweet price, but honestly.....okay you get my opinion, I will shut up.
However, I would look for something better than a 5770, as it too is becoming pretty dated, get a little more cash and aim a little higher.
a b U Graphics card
July 27, 2011 1:12:47 AM

jitpublisher said:
There ya go, the 9600's even when they were "new", were NOT know as great gaming cards, they were bottom of the barrel for gaming.
A cardinal sin for SLI or Crossfire.....putting 2 low end cards together hoping for great performance, you are far better off to spend the money on a higher end single card. I have no idea why someone would have purposely bought 2 9600's for SLI at the same time. I could understand if you already had one and later obtained another for a sweet price, but honestly.....okay you get my opinion, I will shut up.
However, I would look for something better than a 5770, as it too is becoming pretty dated, get a little more cash and aim a little higher.

Before crysis that card was the 5770 of it's time ---Just barely good enough for high rez gaming ... but that time has passed, quite some time ago
a b U Graphics card
July 27, 2011 1:26:17 AM

spentshells said:
Before crysis that card was the 5770 of it's time ---Just barely good enough for high rez gaming ... but that time has passed, quite some time ago

Yeah, I know. I bought one after hearing another poster rave about how great it was....at the time of course. I had it for about 3 days. Gave it to a neighbor and bought an 8800 G92, big, big improvement at the time...... ;) 
a b U Graphics card
July 27, 2011 1:31:44 AM

You have an SLI board so why get an ATI card that won't give you SLI as an upgrade path? If you look hard enough you might find a pair of GTX 460s for close to 200 bucks.
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 27, 2011 4:37:09 PM

DaveUK said:
Hint: The E8400 (3Ghz, dual core version of the Q6600) was known to be significantly faster in most games simply because of the clock speed difference.

How is the E8400 the dual core version of the Q6600? :heink:  One is a 45nm chip the other is a 65nm chip. FYI the Q6600 was two E6600's 'glued' together not two E8400's.
a c 124 U Graphics card
July 27, 2011 4:43:06 PM

Mousemonkey said:

Why is it my SLI setup works great if there are all these problems with dual-card configurations?

Come to think of it, though, I had all sorts of problems with crossfire. Maybe that's the perspective?
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 27, 2011 4:47:41 PM

ubercake said:
Why is it my SLI setup works great if there are all these problems with dual-card configurations?

Come to think of it, though, I had all sorts of problems with crossfire. Maybe that's the perspective?

I've seen quite a few people slag off dual card support or rather lack of it and they tend to tar everything with the same brush but when pressed it turns out that they either have never actually used such a rig themselves and are just parroting others or they have only ever used an ATi Crossfire setup and assume that an Nvidia SLi setup is the same.

Edit for spelling.
a c 124 U Graphics card
July 27, 2011 5:52:10 PM

Mousemonkey said:
I've seen quite a few people slag of dual card support or rather lack of it and they tend to tar everything with the same brush but when pressed it turns out that they either have never actually used such a rig themselves and are just parroting others or they have only ever used an ATi Crossfire setup and assume that an Nvidia SLi setup is the same.

That must be it. ;) 
a c 125 U Graphics card
July 27, 2011 7:28:49 PM

It's funny how people slag on Crossfire so much. I'm sure there's been some issues for people, but at the same time the company known for "products that just work" (aka Apple) ships exclusively AMD Radeon GPUs... I really don't think they deserve the slander they so routinely get. I've had so few issues with my CF setup I'd never hesitate to recommend CF to others.
a c 124 U Graphics card
July 27, 2011 7:48:16 PM

wolfram23 said:
It's funny how people slag on Crossfire so much. I'm sure there's been some issues for people, but at the same time the company known for "products that just work" (aka Apple) ships exclusively AMD Radeon GPUs... I really don't think they deserve the slander they so routinely get. I've had so few issues with my CF setup I'd never hesitate to recommend CF to others.

Have you tried SLI, though? Once you taste the honey, it's hard to go back to lemons. You wonder why you put up with any of the issues at all.

Also, are there any crossfire Apple machines out there? Like Apple users, I can run a single AMD card with no problem. Once I introduce another, the problems begin.
a c 125 U Graphics card
July 27, 2011 8:13:43 PM

Yeah Mac Pro's can have CF 5770s.

As for SLI being all that, I can't say. This is my first real gaming PC build, my last PC had a measly 8600GT. I'm not a die hard fan of AMD or anything, but I've just had a pretty easy time with my cards.
July 27, 2011 8:42:56 PM

grab a single 5770 much better then two of 9600gt
July 28, 2011 1:19:49 AM

ubercake said:
Have you tried SLI, though? Once you taste the honey, it's hard to go back to lemons. You wonder why you put up with any of the issues at all.

Also, are there any crossfire Apple machines out there? Like Apple users, I can run a single AMD card with no problem. Once I introduce another, the problems begin.

You can just ignore Fonzie. He has a huge axe to grind about ATI/AMD and won't STFU about it. No matter the subject, he'll be along sooner or later to slag ATI and go off on a tangent about it.
a c 124 U Graphics card
July 28, 2011 9:30:34 AM

andy27tx said:
You can just ignore Fonzie. He has a huge axe to grind about ATI/AMD and won't STFU about it. No matter the subject, he'll be along sooner or later to slag ATI and go off on a tangent about it.

When someone makes a generalization about issues and headaches with dual-card systems, they always seem to be coming from a crossfire-only perspective.

I and many others wish they had the experience with crossfire wolfram claims to be having. I do think it has to do with what you're willing to accept/put up with when it comes to crossfire, though. Coming from the crossfire-only perspective, myself (I bought only ATI for the past 8 years), I used to believe both sides had the same issues until I tried SLI. Too bad AMD took my money before I realized it. This is the reason for my axe. I take issue with any company who takes my money and has a product that does not work as advertised, hence my tangent for defending a dual-card SLI setup against someone with a generalized argument against dual-card setups who has never had a single dual-card setup.

How's your experience been with crossfire andy27tx?
July 28, 2011 2:16:27 PM

ubercake said:
When someone makes a generalization about issues and headaches with dual-card systems, they always seem to be coming from a crossfire-only perspective.

I and many others wish they had the experience with crossfire wolfram claims to be having. I do think it has to do with what you're willing to accept/put up with when it comes to crossfire, though. Coming from the crossfire-only perspective, myself (I bought only ATI for the past 8 years), I used to believe both sides had the same issues until I tried SLI. Too bad AMD took my money before I realized it. This is the reason for my axe. I take issue with any company who takes my money and has a product that does not work as advertised, hence my tangent for defending a dual-card SLI setup against someone with a generalized argument against dual-card setups who has never had a single dual-card setup.

How's your experience been with crossfire andy27tx?

My 5870s kick ass and I've had zero problems. I've seen your issues ewith your two 5850s on the AMD gaming forum, here and the CyberPower forums. I know you had a bad experience with BFBC2. My issue with it is that you won't ever shut up about it and pollute the forums and unrelated threads with your little tale of woe. It's like and old lady who's always telling you about her hip troubles.
a c 124 U Graphics card
July 28, 2011 2:22:42 PM

andy27tx said:
My 5870s kick ass and I've had zero problems. I've seen your issues ewith your two 5850s on the AMD gaming forum, here and the CyberPower forums. I know you had a bad experience with BFBC2. My issue with it is that you won't ever shut up about it and pollute the forums and unrelated threads with your little tale of woe. It's like and old lady who's always telling you about her hip troubles.

That's funny. I see your point. 5870s should be good cards. And I had 3 5850s.

You should share your experience. I'm sure you haven't had any driver issues with crossfire, right?

Another point I'm trying to get across is SLI does not come with headaches. It just works. When people talk about dual card setups, and most have never even had a multi-card setup, they make generalizations (ie all Andys are Richards) about undesirable issues that come along with both technologies. Coming from a standpoint of having experience with both, I can tell you there's no comparing the two.
July 28, 2011 2:48:27 PM

ubercake said:
That's funny. I see your point. 5870s should be good cards. And I had 3 5850s.

You should share your experience. I'm sure you haven't had any driver issues with crossfire, right?

5850s were good cards too. It's obvious that AMD has been working on their drivers. They split the CrossFire profiles out from the main driver so you don't have to wait a month if you have issues. I'm not a terribly early adopter with games, which might explain your issues. I'm aware that Nvidia spends a ton of money on TWIMTBP and that they do a lot of cajoling developers to screw over the competition (Asassin's Creed DX10.1 ring a bell? How about the Arkham Asylum kerfuffle?) so I wait until the driver people work around that. This only comes up if I start playing a new game and that isn't terribly often.
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 28, 2011 2:55:07 PM

andy27tx said:
5850s were good cards too. It's obvious that AMD has been working on their drivers. They split the CrossFire profiles out from the main driver so you don't have to wait a month if you have issues. I'm not a terribly early adopter with games, which might explain your issues. I'm aware that Nvidia spends a ton of money on TWIMTBP and that they do a lot of cajoling developers to screw over the competition (Asassin's Creed DX10.1 ring a bell? How about the Arkham Asylum kerfuffle?) so I wait until the driver people work around that. This only comes up if I start playing a new game and that isn't terribly often.

DX10.1 was never going to happen and that's evident from the sheer amount of titles that have used it over the last few years and the Batman thing was just evidence of ATi not wanting to write their own code even though they knew in advance that they were going to have to as the Unreal engine never had native support for AA.
a c 125 U Graphics card
July 28, 2011 2:58:35 PM

Even then, within a day or two of release there's usually a hotfix. The main issue I've had is a brand new game doesn't use crossfire until the hotfix comes out. For example when I was playing the Crysis 2 demo. But that's not really AMD's fault, the game is Nvidia sponsored. Since then though it's been running great. Last night I averaged 59fps after ~30 minutes of gameplay at Ultra everything.

Though I think I remember ubercake's thread on 3xCF 5850s not working or scaling right. I'm not sure I'd ever trust 3 or 4x SLI/CF though lol. Although, ubercake, IIRC didn't you have 2 cards working fine? Hard to compare 3 card experience with CF to 2 card SLI, I think.
July 28, 2011 3:05:36 PM

Mousemonkey said:
DX10.1 was never going to happen and that's evident from the sheer amount of titles that have used it over the last few years and the Batman thing was just evidence of ATi not wanting to write their own code even though they knew in advance that they were going to have to as the Unreal engine never had native support for AA.

It happened and was pulled. http://techreport.com/discussions.x/14707
As for Arkham, no, just no. Nvidia wrote code using standard DirectX features and marked it as Nvidia proprietary. It works fine for AMD cards as has been proven. They aren't using any Nvidia proprietary features. You're making excuses for lazy developers and greedy video card companies. What if Nvidia came in and wrote all the DX11 code for Crysis 2? Would you be happy with Crysis 2 working for only Nvidia cards? Are you really not concerned about the health of the market?
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 28, 2011 3:06:03 PM

wolfram23 said:
Even then, within a day or two of release there's usually a hotfix. The main issue I've had is a brand new game doesn't use crossfire until the hotfix comes out. For example when I was playing the Crysis 2 demo. But that's not really AMD's fault, the game is Nvidia sponsored. Since then though it's been running great. Last night I averaged 59fps after ~30 minutes of gameplay at Ultra everything.

Though I think I remember ubercake's thread on 3xCF 5850s not working or scaling right. I'm not sure I'd ever trust 3 or 4x SLI/CF though lol. Although, ubercake, IIRC didn't you have 2 cards working fine? Hard to compare 3 card experience with CF to 2 card SLI, I think.

IIRC the demo didn't have SLi support either, but then it was just a demo and MP only as well, as I recall.
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 28, 2011 3:09:31 PM

andy27tx said:
It happened and was pulled. http://techreport.com/discussions.x/14707
As for Arkham, no, just no. Nvidia wrote code using standard DirectX features and marked it as Nvidia proprietary. It works fine for AMD cards as has been proven. They aren't using any Nvidia proprietary features. You're making excuses for lazy developers and greedy video card companies. What if Nvidia came in and wrote all the DX11 code for Crysis 2? Would you be happy with Crysis 2 working for only Nvidia cards? Are you really not concerned about the health of the market?

Whether the code works on ATi cards or not doesn't matter, what matters is that it was written by Nv and ATi had to provide their own albeit identical code but they just didn't or couldn't.
a c 124 U Graphics card
July 28, 2011 3:11:20 PM

andy27tx said:

The thing that sealed the deal for me though was no fix for the flickering in BFBC2 after it had been out a year. I may have adopted it early, though I waited a heck of a long time for them to fix the issues before jumping ship. I don't mean to sound like an old lady, but I feel like the whole experience was a waste of time (ie rolling back to this driver or that to minimize issues) and money. At first you accept it thinking this is the way multi-GPU systems must work; you take the good with the bad. Then it just ticks you off. And yes I do have a chip on my shoulder about it placed kindly there by AMD. I spent almost $800 on these cards.

I honestly wish AMD had it together with their drivers and crossfire. This would better promote competition in the marketplace and we as consumers would benefit. I got rid of my crossfire setup circa Catalyst 11.3 for various consistent driver issues. Catalyst 11.4 drivers had how many "hotfixes"? Up to 11.4d or 11.4e? Now we see 11.7 and 11.8 beta released on the same day? To which version will the "hot fixes" apply this month? So it seems like they're not quite there yet. I hope they do get there. I'd like to have the choice again. For now, because of my experience with SLI, I don't feel like it makes sense to even consider crossfire.

Again, I'll be the first person on here to admit when SLI and Nvidia drivers give me a problem, though they haven't yet.
July 28, 2011 3:13:59 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Whether the code works on ATi cards or not doesn't matter, what matters is that it was written by Nv and ATi had to provide their own albeit identical code but they just didn't or couldn't.

They had to at the last minute, without warning provide code for one reason alone: anti-competitive machinations. The Unreal engine was gimped and Nvidia went to one of their sponsored game companies and offered to write some code for them. They later claimed it was proprietary code, putting that developer in a bad place with no warning to AMD. At least educate yourself or be honest that you're a fanboy before you enter the conversation.

Since you're a mod, I'm going to leave the conversation at the above comment as I don't to be forum punished because you disagree with me. Peace out.
a c 124 U Graphics card
July 28, 2011 3:15:58 PM

wolfram23 said:

I still had the issues when I removed one of my 3. Until I got down to 1 card, I had issues. They all worked great individually.
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 28, 2011 3:22:40 PM

andy27tx said:
They had to at the last minute, without warning provide code for one reason alone: anti-competitive machinations. The Unreal engine was gimped and Nvidia went to one of their sponsored game companies and offered to write some code for them. They later claimed it was proprietary code, putting that developer in a bad place with no warning to AMD. At least educate yourself or be honest that you're a fanboy before you enter the conversation.

Since you're a mod, I'm going to leave the conversation at the above comment as I don't to be forum punished because you disagree with me. Peace out.

I don't think I've ever hidden my preference for Nvidia cards in all the years that I've been a member of this forum and as for the anti competitive bit, I'll let history decide that one.
July 28, 2011 3:29:12 PM

ubercake said:
Catalyst 11.4 drivers had how many "hotfixes"? Up to 11.4d or 11.4e? Now we see 11.7 and 11.8 beta released on the same day? To which version will the "hot fixes" apply this month?

Do you want to try again with a little accuracy this time?
11.4 had 3 hotfixes.
a and b were new device IDs. How dare AMD release new device IDs?
c was flickering in DX9 for certain cards.
d and e are figments of your imagination.
And you hate on them for letting people beta test drivers as well. Yeah, how dare they?
Oh wait, Nvidia has beta drivers too? ZOMG!

Lotta inaccuracy and hypocrisy here. Nvidia should lay off a member or two of their marketing department because they have you doing the work for free.
July 28, 2011 3:33:13 PM

Mousemonkey said:
I don't think I've ever hidden my preference for Nvidia cards in all the years that I've been a member of this forum and as for the anti competitive bit, I'll let history decide that one.

Having a preference shouldn't blind one to facts or bad behavior.
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 28, 2011 3:36:50 PM

andy27tx said:
Having a preference shouldn't blind one to facts or bad behavior.

Your interpretations are 'interesting' to say the least.
a c 124 U Graphics card
July 28, 2011 3:40:45 PM

andy27tx said:
Do you want to try again with a little accuracy this time?
11.4 had 3 hotfixes.
a and b were new device IDs. How dare AMD release new device IDs?
c was flickering in DX9 for certain cards.
d and e are figments of your imagination.
And you hate on them for letting people beta test drivers as well. Yeah, how dare they?
Oh wait, Nvidia has beta drivers too? ZOMG!

Lotta inaccuracy and hypocrisy here. Nvidia should lay off a member or two of their marketing department because they have you doing the work for free.

I was exaggerating to make a point with mentioning the d and e. If you didn't understand that, I'll give you that the information could have been misinterpreted as inaccurate.

I don't use beta drivers, so where does the hypocrisy come into play?

As far as I'm concerned, from a crossfire standpoint, every AMD driver release is a beta and you are doing the work as their tester.

I do agree with you that Nvidia can probably lay off on some of their marketing since well-functioning technologies promote themselves and satisfied customers, in turn, promote the products.

On the other hand, AMD probably has already laid off their driver test team since they have their customers involuntarily performing this function.

!