9800GTX problems

Thegza

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
Hello everyone,

First off I would like to say this is a very valuable resource. There have been many times where I have solved computer related issues thanks to Tom's Hardware. Without wasting too much of your time, I'll dive right into my problem. Essentially, here's what happens. I will be playing a game, say Crysis, or Battlefield Bad Company 2, or APB: Reloaded. It honestly does not matter which game, in fact it has also occurred in GTA IV. Upon initial playing, in which I submit my desired video settings, the games will look amazing. However, if I were to change the resolution to something other than 1600x1200 (my monitor's native res), and change it back to 1600x1200, I lose a severe amount of quality in the display of the game. It's difficult to explain, however it just looks like I'm running in 1024x768, or some lower resolution. The reason I say this is because lines becomes extremely jagged, even with AA set to 4x. Objects look blurry, and undefined. The game loses its crisp visuals. It is difficult to submit before and after pictures so I can show you all just what I mean, because I don't ever think to take screenshots of the game before it happens. I only have screenshots of what my game looks like after the fact. The only way I have been able to solve this problem is through a reinstall. Updating drivers, deleting my settings.ini files and even switching video cards (I have two 9800GTXs) does not solve the problem. Please, if anyone here has a possible solution, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

Edit: Not sure if this makes a difference, but in the Nvidia control panel my two 9800GTXs have different clock speeds. One is 675, the other 700. Also, shader clocks are 1688 and 1728.

dragonic2020

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Usually, anything other than native resolution (1600x1200 for you) would give unsatisfactory results.
This is most evident when viewing circular icons on the desktop.
At native resolution, my Google Chrome logo is a perfect circle. But once I change that, it becomes an oblong oval, more like an ellipse.

Plus, if it looks amazing and works perfectly on 1600x1200, why change it to a different resolution?

Thegza

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
I am up to date with my graphic drivers, I update them on a regular basis. It doesn't matter which build I'm running. It's been happening since a little after I got the cards. Also, what I was saying is that even when the game is returned to 1600x1200 resolution, it looks as though it's not. Essentially, everything is jagged and blurry.

Steps to replicate my problem:

1. Set game to native res (1600x1200)
2. Tweak video settings for improved performance
3. Lower resolution for more FPS
4. Raise resolution back to 1600x1200

Problem occurs then ^^^^^^^
There's no way of undoing it unless I reinstall.

dragonic2020

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011

Highlighted in red and bolded above.
There's your problem.

1600x1200 resolution is 4:3 aspect ratio.
What resolution are you lowering to?

Lowered resolution and graphics settings can improve performance but at the cost of image quality.

Thegza

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
Ok, I'm sorry to make this confusing. Essentially I lower it to tweak settings, and obviously it looks poor. However, I raise it and THAT is when the problem begins. When I raise it back to 1600x1200 resolution, the problem occurs.

TRENDING THREADS