Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Asus
  • RAM
  • CPUs
Last response: in Motherboards
October 14, 2012 9:50:43 PM

Hi,
I have Asus p9x79 deluxe/is 3930k. My RAM in order to run at 1600 needs to use XMP profile from bios. Otherwise is at 1333. When I use XMP profile though, my cpu goes from 3.2 to 3.8ghz. This results in higher temperatures which i dont want. Actually I dont want to overclock the cpu. I want my Ram though to run at 1600.
Forgive me for my ignorance, but is that possible? Can i use xmp profile or manually add the values for ram without increasing so much the cpu? On default my cpu runs at 3,2 and on full load automatically goes till 3.5 (ram 1333). I d be happy if my ram would go on 1600 and cpu stayed low like this. Help me out plz, tell me exactly what i need to do if it is to do something manually cause im no good at this. Thanks :) 

More about : asus p9x79 deluxe 3930k

a c 176 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 191 à CPUs
October 14, 2012 10:09:29 PM

thanulee said:
Hi,
I have Asus p9x79 deluxe/is 3930k. My RAM in order to run at 1600 needs to use XMP profile from bios. Otherwise is at 1333. When I use XMP profile though, my cpu goes from 3.2 to 3.8ghz. This results in higher temperatures which i dont want. Actually I dont want to overclock the cpu. I want my Ram though to run at 1600.
Forgive me for my ignorance, but is that possible? Can i use xmp profile or manually add the values for ram without increasing so much the cpu? On default my cpu runs at 3,2 and on full load automatically goes till 3.5 (ram 1333). I d be happy if my ram would go on 1600 and cpu stayed low like this. Help me out plz, tell me exactly what i need to do if it is to do something manually cause im no good at this. Thanks :) 

3.8Ghz is your "turbo" setting. Some of the Asus X79 motherboards apply the top turbo bin to all cores at once, turning a 3/3/4/5/6/6/ turbo profile into 6/6/6/6/6/6. Technically this takes the operation outside of Intel's specification but it will step back down to 1200Mhz when idle and 3.2 when it gets too hot. By default the power limits are usually set at unlimited which turns a 3.2Ghz 6 core processor into a 3.8Ghz 6 core processor.

If you want to stop it from jumping to 3.8Ghz just disable Turbo mode.
October 14, 2012 10:11:59 PM

And like this i would be able to keep my ram at 1600? thanx for the fast response.

Can I limit it though instead of completely disable it?
Related resources
a c 176 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 191 à CPUs
October 14, 2012 10:13:14 PM

thanulee said:
And like this i would be able to keep my ram at 1600? thanx for the fast response.

Can I limit it though instead of completely disable it?

The XMP profile shouldn't be impacting the turbo mode at all. They are two separate things. If you haven't done so already, update the motherboard's firmware to the latest revision
October 14, 2012 10:14:50 PM

I have but it happens as i described on first post. What do u suggest then? Is there any manual turbo mode limitation? thanx
a c 176 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 191 à CPUs
October 14, 2012 10:17:13 PM

thanulee said:
I have but it happens as i described on first post. What do u suggest then? Is there any manual turbo mode limitation? thanx

Yes you can set the turbo multiplier by hand, it should be in the settings somewhere.
October 14, 2012 10:20:03 PM

I m reading the manual here and i see "by all cores" and "by per core" on turbo mode instead of auto. But how i determine which number i use? thanx alot
October 14, 2012 10:37:28 PM

Oh i figured it out, I added 35 on "by all cores" and my max turbo setting is @ 3,5 right now. So to be clear about that, the frequency of the ram doesnt require overclock in the cpu in order for the system to be stable am i right? I mean i can keep xmp profile and turbo at 3.5 or even 3.2? And the temps go up just a bit due to memory ? thanx again u been very helpful
a c 176 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 191 à CPUs
October 14, 2012 10:37:44 PM

thanulee said:
Oh i figured it out, I added 35 on "by all cores" and my max turbo setting is @ 3,5 right now. So to be clear about that, the frequency of the ram doesnt require overclock in the cpu in order for the system to be stable am i right? I mean i can keep xmp profile and turbo at 3.5 or even 3.2? And the temps go up just a bit due to memory ? thanx again u been very helpful

That's correct. The memory IO bus and the IA cores are on different clock domains.
!