Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Quad SLI 590 PSU question

Last response: in Systems
September 26, 2011 6:39:13 AM

Hello all. I built my first gaming PC a month ago and loving it. I built it with buying a GTX 580 in mind and SLI in the future and overclock the crap out of them. I found an amazing deal on a EVGA 590 i just couldn't pass ($510+tax) and ended up with that instead. I'm thinking about going triple monitor vision surround for Battlefield 3 at ultra settings and wondering if my PSU could handle 2 evga 590s for Quad SLI. Thanks.

-CPU- i5 2500k OC @ 4.4GHz
-Cooler- CM Hyper 212
-Motherboard- ASRock-Z68-Pro
-RAM- G.Skill DDR3 1600 CL8 1.5v
-GPU-EVGA GTX 590 Classified (factory Overclocked) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
-Samsung F4 2tb HDD (will buy SSD soon)
-PSU-Corsair 1050 watt Professional Series http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
-Case-Cooler Master HAF X
September 26, 2011 7:22:10 AM

HugoStiglitz said:
http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

will give u the best idea.

Estimates ~950w for 2x 590 in SLI NON OVERCLOCKED CARDS

Thanks Hugo. Sorry this is my first build and if have any noob questions. Will my CPU OC and, I believe the 590 is factory overclocked and not overvolted, be more than the additional 100w of room left in my PSU? I just read Nvidia recommended 1100w PSU for the quad sli. I hope they are overshooting it a bit. Thanks for advice.
Related resources
September 26, 2011 12:45:08 PM

I worked it on ur CPU overclocked to 4.4 with a generous 1.5volts.
I do believe ur 1050w psu will power it however u won't have much buffer for adding water-cooling or more than a couple of hdd's.
September 26, 2011 1:29:51 PM

Those calculators are very, very bad in terms of calculating total power draw.
The only real way to calculate is to buy a controller that will telly ou how much Watts your PSU is drawing from the socket wall, then apply the efficiency.

The problem is you have not told us how many fans you have, if you have any leds, etc.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4239/nvidias-geforce-gtx-...

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-590-review/7

READ THE FULL REVIEW on both. Then get your own opinion based on the diffrences of both statements.

Generally, i would not buy a stronger PSU myself.

What i WOULD worry about A ******* LOT, would be load temperatures.
Those 2 monsters togheter oced.... i dont think it will be stable at all, no matter waht case ventilation you have, you need aftermarket cooling.
September 26, 2011 5:11:17 PM

tl;dr - Nope.
September 26, 2011 5:58:40 PM

I would really discourage you on QUAD-SLI 590 GTX, that card would more or less last you about 5 years and then when that time comes, you only to need to SLI 2 590s and that would last you about another few years.

In those years, there will be better video cards that would have new features and such. Also, your first 590 might die by the time you need to get your third 590.

Oh wait, im sorry. Forgot that the 590 is a dual GPU. zzz
September 26, 2011 6:17:40 PM

Quote:
You wonder why no1 cares what you have to say

Now where on earth would you possibly get that idea from? Are you confusing me with someone else? I've never asked for help or advice. I give simple answers... No reason to go further in depth on a topic that just simply cannot be done.

Assume = Ass out of U & Me
September 26, 2011 6:22:43 PM

Lyden said:
Now where on earth would you possibly get that idea from? Are you confusing me with someone else? I've never asked for help or advice. I give simple answers... No reason to go further in depth on a topic that just simply cannot be done.

Lol, you really are an idiot.
September 26, 2011 6:26:28 PM

ervinelim said:
Lol, you really are an idiot.

You might wanna step back and think about where you're coming from. It'll come to you.
September 26, 2011 6:29:23 PM

Lyden said:
You might wanna step back and think about where you're coming from. It'll come to you.

ts;dr

too stupid, did not read.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2011 6:55:02 PM

Skip the trash talk and do your homework Swolern. It's not too difficult to learn and sort out everything accurately so no guessing is involved. Follow the info. below.

As far as PSUs are concerned, be informed. Before you buy any PSU read accurate, objective PSU reviews at reputable sites such as www.jonnyguru.com or www.hardwaresecrets.com on the EXACT model PSU that you are interested in as some brands have good and poor quality PSUs.

You can also get an accurate rating of how much PSU power is required for your current or future system at the PSU calculator link below. Once you know the total PSU watts required then you need to confirm that the 12v rail has enough amps. to support your Vid card(s) and the rest of the PC system.

There are several websites that show the Vid card power consumption in watts. Divide the watts by 12 to determine the amps. required on the 12v rail(s). Add 15 amps for the rest of the PC on the 12v rail and you now know the Minimum total 12v rail amps required under full load. It's best to have at least 5-10 amps. reserve on the 12v rail available under full load so the PSU is not loaded to 100%.

It's also worth noting that people often misunderstand the 80% power rating. This is a rating of the PSU's energy efficiency not it's output. 80% plus PSUs use less grid power to produce the same PC power. If it's 80% Bronze, Silver or Gold the cost savings on electricity is pretty small between Bronze, Silver and Gold unless you are paying very high rates for electricity so any 80% rated quality PSU is fine even if not Gold. For those who leave their PC on 24/7 a quality 80% PSU is a good investment.

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-560-ti-sli-re...

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_5...

September 26, 2011 10:20:26 PM

I think the consensus is you should be ok with ur current decent 1050w

BUT if you want to push the envelope in overclocking / water cooling you will need something stronger.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2011 10:58:57 PM

I'm unsure if you should get a second GTX590 as you MAY have severe micro-stuttering. There's a really good article at Tomshardware:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stut...

I read this carefully AGAIN and discovered something interesting. Here's a summary:
1) Crossfire of low-end AMD cards has the worst micro-stutter
2) NVidia is superior to AMD (less micro-stutter)
3) A 3xCrossfire solution had LESS micro-stutter than a 2xCrossfire solution

At first I thought STAY AWAY from quad-SLI (2xGTX590) now I'm not so sure. Maybe you can find a good review of a 2xGTX590 setup mainly investigating micro stutter?

I dislike multiple monitors because of the NOISE from the graphics cards required and the BEZELS but that's your decision so if you're fine with it then it's a non-issue for me.

Power Supplies:
The link I gave above has some information. In general, gamers need to look at four things:
1) overall WATTAGE
2) Amps for the graphics cards
3) Quality PSU
4) Price (normal and SALE prices)

I tend to do this to add up Wattage and Amps:
1. start with 400Watts
2. add the Maximum Wattage of each graphics card
3. add the maximum Amps (a GTX570 needs 38Amps I believe) of each graphics card

You'll have to look up the values.

I strongly suggest you don't overclock a graphics card as they are usually close to maxed out, especially the highest-end cards like a GTX590.

CPU overclocking:
You may need to do this. I recommend a non-stock CPU HSF either way because it also allows your computer to be quiet in idle (although the CPU fan will be drowned out by two GTX590's). Actually it's a good idea to have BETTER cooling because your case heat will be higher.

Case fans:
you'll want two 120mm fans (depending on case). One front-bottom and another top-rear to provide enough cooling.

Overclock the CPU?
An easy test. Run a couple in-game benchmarks:
1. run Crysis benchmark and write down the score
2. Overclock the CPU and repeat
3. Is the score better with a CPU overclock?

Keep in mind that this only applies to THAT game as CPU to Graphics ratios vary between games. Another test is to run Task Manager and monitor ALL YOUR CPU graphs. If none of your cores hit 100% then you have no reason to overclock. (the average CPU graph is completely useless as it adds threads and doesn't consider that some cores can't be used. It's possible to be CPU bottlenecked but show only 30% usage. Again, if a single core hits 100% you MAY be bottlenecked by the CPU. If two cores hit 100% you are. The best test is still an in-game benchmark.

Gaming benchmarks like 3DMark are useless for deciding if you need to overclock your CPU if any of the tests use a CPU-only value. IN-GAME-BENCHMARKS)

Summary:
- 2xGTX590 may work with minor micro-stutter (and the micro-stutter MAY be better than a single GTX590's)
- HOT and NOISY!!
- can test if CPU overclock is needed easily
- get a non-stock CPU heatsink either way (NCIX is good for this)
- ensure adequate case cooling
- PSU (wattage + Amps)

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2011 11:11:17 PM

PSU WARNING!
PSU WARNING!

EVGA recommends 50Amps for your card.

Your PSU is rated for 87.5Amps.

If you consider a second card you'll need to contact EVGA. It's possible they went high with the 50A just to be on the safe side.

As it is, they're recommending 100Amps for two cards!

NEW NVIDIA CARDS:
NVidia's new cards come out somewhere in Q1 or Q2 of 2012. It's been confirmed that the high-end cards should use roughly HALF the amount of power, but this also means much less NOISE for the same processing power!

I strongly suggest you wait for the following reasons:
1. Noise will be less.
2. High-end cards will support THREE or more monitors. That's confirmed.
3. Tessellation will be enhanced (not a big deal yet, but it will be).
4. Anti-Aliasing enhancements and a few others.
5. No reason to upgrade your PSU.
6. Can recoup part of your cost by selling your GTX590.

There's a pretty good chance that a new card costing the same as a GTX590 will give you the same or better performance as a 2xGTX590 setup as well as the other good reasons, especially NOISE.

Good luck!

I personally am looking for an NVidia 600 series card with these rough specs (if possible):
1) single GPU
2) 3x frame rates of HD5870
3) 1.5 to 2GB of VRAM
4) quality brand with great cooling solution
5) Improved 3D options?
6) NVidia for PhysX
(unless some compelling reason to go with AMD. PhysX used to be a non-issue as it dropped frame rates but now PhysX version 3 is coming and graphics cards are fast enough for high quality at 60FPS with PhysX. PhysX version 3 requires:

a) PhysX 3 capable card (GTX600 series next year are the first I believe)
b) new PhysX software (driver update)
c) game supporting PhysX 3 (none yet)

I imagine NVidia will be pointing to at least one game with the new PhysX 3 enhancement to launch their GTX600 series. That means they'll likely have more than just a few papers blowing around like Batman AA. They'll probably intentionally have at least one game add a SIGNIFICANT amount of physics features that you can only get with a new GTX700 series card.

Plus, a new GTX600 series card can still support older PhysX titles but would be fast enough to handle those at maximum quality at 60FPS possibly with 3D as well.
September 28, 2011 4:50:13 AM

Lyden said:
Now where on earth would you possibly get that idea from? Are you confusing me with someone else? I've never asked for help or advice. I give simple answers...

Great simple answers. Why are u even on this forum? Sorry we are not all know like u.
September 28, 2011 4:55:17 AM

cats_Paw said:
Those calculators are very, very bad in terms of calculating total power draw.
The only real way to calculate is to buy a controller that will telly ou how much Watts your PSU is drawing from the socket wall, then apply the efficiency.

The problem is you have not told us how many fans you have, if you have any leds, etc.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4239/nvidias-geforce-gtx-...

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-590-review/7

READ THE FULL REVIEW on both. Then get your own opinion based on the diffrences of both statements.

Generally, i would not buy a stronger PSU myself.

What i WOULD worry about A ******* LOT, would be load temperatures.
Those 2 monsters togheter oced.... i dont think it will be stable at all, no matter waht case ventilation you have, you need aftermarket cooling.

4 stock fans from HAF X
1 stock fan Hyper 212
1 stock fan GTX 590

Only LED is stock on HAF X on front fan

Thanks for input.
September 28, 2011 5:08:16 AM

photonboy said:
PSU WARNING!
PSU WARNING!

EVGA recommends 50Amps for your card.

Your PSU is rated for 87.5Amps.

If you consider a second card you'll need to contact EVGA. It's possible they went high with the 50A just to be on the safe side.

As it is, they're recommending 100Amps for two cards!

NEW NVIDIA CARDS:
NVidia's new cards come out somewhere in Q1 or Q2 of 2012. It's been confirmed that the high-end cards should use roughly HALF the amount of power, but this also means much less NOISE for the same processing power!

I strongly suggest you wait for the following reasons:
1. Noise will be less.
2. High-end cards will support THREE or more monitors. That's confirmed.
3. Tessellation will be enhanced (not a big deal yet, but it will be).
4. Anti-Aliasing enhancements and a few others.
5. No reason to upgrade your PSU.
6. Can recoup part of your cost by selling your GTX590.

There's a pretty good chance that a new card costing the same as a GTX590 will give you the same or better performance as a 2xGTX590 setup as well as the other good reasons, especially NOISE.

Good luck!

Sorry for the late response guys. I've been very busy with Battlefield 3. It's awesome.

Thanks for the time and response Photonboy. Everything you stated is very helpful and knowledgable. It's people like u that make this forum great!

It looks like I might have to wait until next year for the 600s. The Fry's close to me takes returned GPUs up to 30 days. I could always try it out just to see what happens. But looking at the beta for Battlefield 3 I might not need another 590 for 3 screens @ 1080p anyways. But it's still beta and it looks like they have some more polishing to do to look like the preview videos that Dice released.

The one thing that is comforting about overclocking the 590 is EVGA provides lifetime warranty on the 590 that covers even Oocing.
October 5, 2011 7:37:13 AM

Best answer selected by Swolern.
!