8800 GTX Issue

sean4656

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
So i recently got a cheap 8800GTX for £20.00 to replace my X1950Pro (both are old i know). However it booted up in low-res mode as i expected having no drivers installed. Then as it was installing drivers through windows update the screen went black and no input source could be found (switching from analog/Digital) I then rebooted and now it comes up with 3 cmos beeps 1 long 2 short. I have tried reseating it , tried it with the motherboard out of the case, reseated all the cables, moving the RAM about , tried booting up with just core components, removed the battery, and with a friends PSU - i sometimes get booting with no beeps whatsoever but still no output on the monitor.

Are there any other solutions? Also is there a way to 'clear' the car to try and get it to boot up in the low res mode again.

Thanks Sean.

sean4656

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
I think i have bought a duff card, however i will try the resetting the bios, all the other components are fine because i have it up and running with a x1950pro, and the PSU i lent of my friend was running a GTX470 or does the 8800gtx consume more power than that? I'll try the card in friends pc if resetting the bios does not work.

*Also is baking the card only for defects in display/ artifacts? might try it as a last resort before selling it as faulty.

Mark Heath

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
I'm not experienced with baking, however I've heard the more paranoid people out there warn of potential toxic gases being produced , which might not be so great in a conventional oven which you use for food. Might be worth doing a quick look-up on :)

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
Do you still have your old card? See if that works. Either way, when you get into windows, the first thing you should do is go to the videocard page and install the latest driver, do that before windows updates