Lutheran

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
I have come to the point where I think its about time I put my old HP Prebuilt Core 2 Duo system to rest, and build my own machine again.
The use of the machine and the idea behind it, is to give me a a bit of a speed monster that can deliver in regular office work, together with when I play a game like TOR, BF3 & Diablo3. Beign an IT Pro I use it for virtualisation/technology testing aswell (which is why i put in 16GB ram, so It can run Win7 & a couple of 2008 SQL/Sharepoint/Exchange Servers at the same time, not allways but when I need it it should be able to handle it.)

Having read through a lot of Reviews @ TH, I've come up with this build:

NZXT Phantom Only downside to this one is the lack of usb3 on the front, but it makes up for it in my book by a combo of design & price, together with the possibility of good amounts of fans. Noise matters to me, just as much as the next guy, so haveing something that helps cooling without increaseing noise levels is a plus. I look at Lian LI cabinets but couldnt find any in the same price range which had the same possibilities and USB 3 on the front. So any input into great cabinets are welcome.

Cooler Master MegaFlow 200 (Blue) 200mm Fan for the cabinet side. Should be able to run at slow speeds and still move enough air to help the GFX & processor cooling.

Core i7 I7-2600K 8 MB (Intel Boxed) Core I7 as i want as much CPU power that my pocket will allow.

Scythe Mugen 2 rev.B SCMG-2100 A good CPU cooler im told.

ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Did really good in the tests Ive read on TH, and was recommended in their 2k$ build last month.

Corsair Vengeance 4 x 4 GB No idea if this is good or not, but it's corsair and running at 1600 Mhz, so should be good, though I am not sure.

OCZ Vertex 3 Series MAX IOPS Edition 120GB Should be the fastest SSD around, with 480/500 read/writeTo be used as the windows OS part with programs.

OCZ Agility 3 Series Solid State Disk 120 GB To be used for the Intel precache technology (for the WD HDD) and games and such.

WD Caviar Black WD2002FAEX 2 TB One cant have enough storage for ISO files, music etc.

CoolerMaster Silent Pro M850 It is module based, and had Silent in its name so that is why I chose it.

All in all it should come to about 2k USD in my country's own currency. I am going to reuse my GFX460 1GB OC edition as I have recently purchased it, and it delivers good enough performance for me at the moment. Any ideas where I could tweak my build or what I have choesen poorly is greatly appreciated as it has been a long while since I last built my own machine.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
A couple of things:

The second SSD you listed to use as an SSD cache - I presume you mean the Intel Smart Response technology (z68 motherboard feature) ? This only supports up to 64GB as a cache. So unless you have plans to partition it into x2 60GB parts, save yourself some money and just get a 60/64GB SSD for a cache.

Caviar Black is a solid HDD choice.

CM Silent Pro - Although a good PSU, from the reviews i've seen, apparently isn't so "Silent". - might be worth you looking into this further, or someone else maybe able to suggest a better/quieter PSU.

RAM, CPU, Cooler all look good.

Motherboard - The Extreme4 is quite old now, id suggest looking into a GEN3 motherboard. (ASRock Extreme4 GEN3 z68 is probably one of your best options - The Extreme3 Gen3 doesn't support front panel USB 3.0 - but Extreme4 does).

Lutheran

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
Thx Adrian, about the advise for mobo, I wouldnt have picked up the difference my self, so TY for the advise!