Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Mixing Graphics Card GPU types in non-SLI setup

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 26, 2011 10:00:16 PM

Hello,

I am new to the site and had a quick question. I have a GTX 280 from my last computer and was wondering if I put it in my new setup which has a GTX 560 ti in non sli mode to just run a dual monitor setup if everything would work. I know I read somewhere that differnt gpu's in SLI wouldn't work well. I have two GTX 280s just sitting so I really want to be able to game with two monitors.
a c 214 U Graphics card
July 26, 2011 10:23:21 PM

Why don't you just use the GTX560ti for dual monitors?
m
0
l
July 26, 2011 10:35:45 PM

purple stank said:
Why don't you just use the GTX560ti for dual monitors?

Thanks for your reply. I was reading that while gaming (especially with high end games) the 560ti supporting both monitors does not work well or at all.

Plus devoting the 560ti to nothing but gaming has to improve its performance instead of dividing its power up over two monitors. Am I wrong in this regard?
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 106 U Graphics card
July 26, 2011 10:38:31 PM

If you have two GTX 280s, it would have made sense to run them in SLI rather than getting a 560Ti, oh well. Anyway, you can run two monitors off the 560. If you want to use 3 monitors though then you would need two cards in SLI.
m
0
l
July 26, 2011 10:43:07 PM

Yea i understand that thanks megaman i'm just wondering if I can run in non-SLI one 560ti for one monitor and one 280 for the other? Again I am not interested in running SLI atm.
m
0
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
July 26, 2011 11:04:35 PM

It really shouldn't hog up a lot of rescourses at all as long as what is dispalyed on the 2nd monitor isn't a 3Dimage such as a game.I've played games while playing a 1080p movie from the same card and my FPS didn't drop at all.

What i've gathered from reading around is that it is possible to run 2 different cards as long as their not conntec.They work independatly of each other which I think is what you were looking for.

Also I just have to ask,why wouldn't you do PhysX?.With a GTX280 you would get a nice boost in performance paired with a GTX560ti.
m
0
l
July 26, 2011 11:20:48 PM

It's definitely possible, though I see no reason to do such a thing. There's a small chance that the overhead and pci-e bandwidth might actually cause a reduce in performance.
m
0
l
July 26, 2011 11:41:07 PM

Ooo I didn't think of that math. Well ill try it both ways and see. Thanks much for the replies.
m
0
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
July 27, 2011 12:07:13 AM

Goodluck
m
0
l
July 27, 2011 1:53:53 PM

Update for anyone else that may care or want to know. I tried running the dual monitors off the one GTX560ti last night. Ran really smooth for multi tasking and even lowly games such as league of legends, counterstrike source, dragonsnest, etc. However the graphically intensive games such as age of conan and crisis shut the second monitor off during gameplay. The card would turn the second monitor completely blank.

Going to try the gtx280 on the second slot to see if I can get both monitors up while playing aoc/crysis without getting a drop in performance.
m
0
l
July 27, 2011 2:27:54 PM

I believe that is what is supposed to happen, when you run a game in full screen mode with extended desktop it will shut the other monitor off...
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
July 27, 2011 2:31:54 PM

OP:

what are the full system specs of the rig in concern?
m
0
l
July 27, 2011 2:49:46 PM

Intel Core i7 960 watercooled
3x4gb CORSAIR Dominator 1333mghz RAM
EVGA GTX 560ti
Two 1TB 7200 rpm western digital hard drives
ASUS Intel X58 Motherboard
Windows 7 home premium x64

@hermz it was only happening with a few games where it would shut off. Not really sure why. Regardless I would really like to keep both the second monitor up during games so I can see ventrilo, internet browser, etc.

When I get out of work today I'm gonna throw the gtx 280 in there and see what happens.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
July 27, 2011 3:56:59 PM

ultimatemcq said:
Update for anyone else that may care or want to know. I tried running the dual monitors off the one GTX560ti last night. Ran really smooth for multi tasking and even lowly games such as league of legends, counterstrike source, dragonsnest, etc. However the graphically intensive games such as age of conan and crisis shut the second monitor off during gameplay. The card would turn the second monitor completely blank.

Going to try the gtx280 on the second slot to see if I can get both monitors up while playing aoc/crysis without getting a drop in performance.



Am I the only one going to point this out? Gaming on 2 monitors? seriously? your character or whatever you may be will be split in half amongst both monitors try 3 monitors...? either use a 280 physx and a 560ti or sli the 280's.. no idea why you would just plug in 2x gpus and hope things work?
m
0
l
July 27, 2011 4:05:19 PM

jonnyrb said:
Am I the only one going to point this out? Gaming on 2 monitors? seriously? your character or whatever you may be will be split in half amongst both monitors try 3 monitors...? either use a 280 physx and a 560ti or sli the 280's.. no idea why you would just plug in 2x gpus and hope things work?


Uhhh no gaming on two monitors is not happening. Game on one monitor...browser, ventrilo, other non gaming information on the 2nd monitor.

I'm trying to figure out if monitor one is powered by a gtx560 for gaming, and gtx280 powers second monitor just for other stuff non gaming, if it would provide better performance than having 1 card power both monitors.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
July 27, 2011 4:15:41 PM

Sounds like such a simple, yet bizzare request. Your 560ti shouldn't really take a hit at ALL running games like that. I do it all the time on my 6950 (relatively the same card via AMD) have a second monitor for skype/vent/facebook/builds etc

Plug in your other gpu and only plug it into your other monitor? Seems like a huge waste of power though.. also be wary of drivers? I'm an AMD fan boy..
m
0
l
!