Potentially fried motherboard, can anyone confirm?

emlarsen2

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
So, earlier today i decided I needed to plug a new fan in the mobo's fan headers. I did this while the PC was powered on of course, cause I've done that hundreds of times without problems. Well, today, I somehow managed to short the fan header pins which caused a spark an immediate shutdown of my PC. Now, when I press the power button an LED on a fan flickers for a micro second then shuts off. TO repeat this, I need to completely unplug the PSU from the wall and plug it back in, at which point the LED flickers again for a micro second then nothing happens.

I thought it could be the power supply but i removed it and shorted the green wire to a ground and measured all the voltages with a multi meter. Everything read correct values. However, I couldn't really do the test under load because my computer won't turn on at all. This means I'm somewhat confident the power supply is ok.

My question is, can anyone confirm that my Mobo is the dead item here, or at least one of them? Or do you guys think it could still be the power supply since I couldn't test it under load?

Thanks for any help!

Edit: I never smelled anything burning if that helps any