Can I run a GTX 460 se with a 300w psu?

Bleekr

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
I have a GTX 460 SE and a 300w psu. I may be replacing both of these torwards the end of the year but what I would like to know is if the old 300w psu can support my GTX 460 se.

If not well, thats unfortunate because they're the only working video card and power supply I have. I have been using them together for a few months or so now and haven't picked up on any noticable problems.

I use this computer for browsing, photoshop elements, and gaming.

I would REALLY prefer not to have to buy any new parts as I'm prob saving up for a new computer by the end of the year and it may be replaced..

I'm currently using a dual core cpu.

the psu will probably blow up sooner or later. http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-460-se-review/6 < they reccommend a 450w psu as the card under full load draws 305w. If/when it blows up it may take out other components. Dont replace it with a cheap psu either. A cheap 500w psu may only produce 250w continuous output. Better brands like antec, corsair, seasonic always produce their rated power continuous

wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
The 460 will probabably use around 250W under load, so 300 is fine but that's cutting it close. I suggest getting around 400W from a reputable brand such as Seasonic, Antec, and Corsair. Newegg has the Antec HCG series on sale with MIR at the moment.

Bleekr

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
What if I just run games like WoW? Is there still a chance it could blow?

I plan on buying a futureproof new computer before the of the year for around 1000-1200 dollars, maybe with the option to sli/crossfire if I ever wanted down the road.

Can you recommend me one that I will use for a very long time even when I do upgrade the rest of my parts?

Edit: Would something like http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CMPSU-850HX-850-Watt-Professional-Certified/dp/B0029F21LA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308028415&sr=8-1&tag=vglnk-c1001-20 be worth getting? Sure it might be overkill for now but would it hurt since I plan to upgrade the rest of my parts later?

Or should I go as far as for 1000w with the future in mind?

G

It's for stupid sheep! - Maximum Graphics Card Power 160W. (http://www.geforce.com/Hardware/GPUs/geforce-gtx-460/specifications)

Djentleman

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
It depends on how much is on the 12v rail. All it takes is some simple math; Volts*amps=watts. So if you have enough on your 12v rail and its a good brand - i would give it a try. Just don't overclock! That's pushin' it...

When it comes to power supplies here is a good rule of thumb.

-Don't cheap out
-Don't cut is close with power requirements.

Reasons being, if you take out a cheap power supply it doesn't have the safeguards that better units have and they can take out components. My guess is a 300W is an OEM unit. They use the right power supply to run the stock system only, not much room for an upgrade. I've seen several decent 400-450W PSU's on sale now for as low as $30 or less after rebate.