Check my build please before I order today

Hey guys, What a great community. I have been here reading about parts and custom builds so I took some advice and I managed to stay under 1k with a monitor. I want to play BF3, and other games on high settings usually, but I don't really mind needing every single eye candy.

Anyway this is what I came up with:

1 MSI Gift - NBA2K11 PC GAME
Item #: N82E16800127010
Standard Return Policy $29.99

1 NVIDIA Gift - BATMAN Arkham City Game Coupon
Item #: N82E16800999283
Standard Return Policy $49.99

1 Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm ...
Item #: N82E16811147153
Standard Return Policy $54.99

1 ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813157271
Standard Return Policy $124.99

1 MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video ...
Item #: N82E16814127565
$20.00 Mail-In Rebate Card14-127-565
$244.99

1 CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power ...
Item #: N82E16817139021
$10.00 Mail-In Rebate Card17-139-021
$104.99

1 Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
Item #: N82E16819115072
CPU Replacement Only Return Policy $219.99

1 CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M2A1600C9B
Item #: N82E16820233196
$58.99

1 Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #: N82E16822148697
Standard Return Policy $64.99
$54.99

1 Acer S211HLbd 21.5'' 5ms LED-Backlight LCD Monitor Slim Design
Item #: N82E16824009261
Monitor Standard Return Policy $169.99
$119.99

1 LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM
Item #: N82E16827106289 - $19.99

Total Shipped: $974

The dvd drive and HD were a combo, so is the cpu and gpu. Powersupply and memory are also a combo deal. I need a monitor since I don't have one. If there is anyway I can improve and save at the same time but still keep the Price similar let me know!
27 answers Last reply
More about check build order today
  1. Looks a solid build. Nothing id change.

    Good RAM, Good CPU, Good call on the PCI 3.0 ready motherboard, I use the same HDD myself and have had nothing but good feedback for it, PSU is SLI ready, MSI GPU looks good, nice cooling, good overclocker.

    Good to go :)
  2. Thanks, I was just concerned fitting the gpu in that case and all. Just because maybe down the road I will want to add another card. If I didn't need the monitor I would just get a better GPU but what can you do.
  3. Ι would get this case instead. Higher quality with USB III in front panel.

    LIAN LI Lancool PC-K57 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112318

    And the Modular Edition of the TX750

    CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750M 750W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular High Performance Power Supply
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139030
  4. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161368

    Faster video card and cheaper.

    if there is anyway you can expand your budget a little to get even a slower SSD you would sure love it. I see people getting these small ass 30-60 GB SSD's they are a waste. Don't get anything smaller than 128
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211565 is a nice 128 for only $179
  5. 60gb ssd isn't a waste if that is all you have the money for.. plenty of room to install windows
  6. if i were u i would get 650 or 600 w psu + a lil bit cheap but not lame p67 mobo
    and try to fit a 570 in the budget
  7. for 10 more dollars you can get the rosewill cruiser, better airflow
  8. michxymi said:
    Ι would get this case instead. Higher quality with USB III in front panel.

    LIAN LI Lancool PC-K57 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112318

    And the Modular Edition of the TX750

    CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750M 750W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular High Performance Power Supply
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139030


    Extreme3 Gen3 doesn't support front panel USB 3.0 - Good call on modular PSU though.
  9. Device Unknown said:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161368

    Faster video card and cheaper.

    if there is anyway you can expand your budget a little to get even a slower SSD you would sure love it. I see people getting these small ass 30-60 GB SSD's they are a waste. Don't get anything smaller than 128
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211565 is a nice 128 for only $179


    I don't think you will find 6950 is faster than a 560Ti unless you playing in Resolutions ABOVE 1920x1080. Not to mention the huge OC potential of a GTX 560Ti.
    http://www.hwcompare.com/8888/geforce-gtx-560-ti-vs-radeon-hd-6950-2gb/
  10. Mike20_14 said:
    if i were u i would get 650 or 600 w psu + a lil bit cheap but not lame p67 mobo
    and try to fit a 570 in the budget


    The motherboard he listed is a Z68 board? ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 Z68?

    Why would you get a 600/650w PSU with a 560Ti? 500w is enough for a single card, 750w is recommended for SLI, which the OP has gone with. 650w lands in the useless middle zone.

    850w PSU recommended for SLI 570's.
  11. I think I will keep the case. As for the cheaper power supply, I can get the 650W or 600W + 8gb corsair memory for $128. As for the P67 board, what are the dissadvantages? Fitting a 570 in there would be awesome but I want to keep my price the same or similar, not much more since I will be using the 12 month newegg finance offer and plan to pay it off soon as possible.

    Too bad that modular psu doesn't have RAM combo. Its the combos that are saving me big bucks compared to each part seperate.
  12. P67 has no real disadvantage as such. It just lacks features such as on board video (not necessary with a discrete GPU anyway) and SSD cache (most people use SSD's as a boot drive instead, so again not necessary).

    P67 will overclock CPU and GPU in the same way z68 does.

    Modular PSU isn't "required", but is useful. If its a matter of paying a whole lot more for modular, then its not really worth, but if its only say $10, id certainly recommend it.
  13. I don't mind if it is not modular but I will have to add seperate parts now to see how much it would be if I do get that type. I've heard good things about that Asrock board too.
  14. selayan said:
    I don't mind if it is not modular but I will have to add seperate parts now to see how much it would be if I do get that type. I've heard good things about that Asrock board too.


    Its a highly recommended board currently for all new builds because its GEN3 supports the upcoming PCI 3.0
    Its also one of the cheapest, if not the cheapest Z68 motherboard with SLI and Crossfire support.

    Overall solid board, solid price, great features and "future proof".
  15. Well I checked with the modular powersupply and its about 40 bucks more since I would have to buy the RAM seperate too. I'll stick with what I had. As for the 560Ti, I've heard the 6950 is good too and I don't think I can squeeze a 570 in there without drastically changing price.
  16. selayan said:
    Well I checked with the modular powersupply and its about 40 bucks more since I would have to buy the RAM seperate too. I'll stick with what I had. As for the 560Ti, I've heard the 6950 is good too and I don't think I can squeeze a 570 in there without drastically changing price.


    $40 is certainly way to much difference to consider going modular IMO.

    560Ti is a solid card, you wont be disappointed by its performance (unless BF3 really is going to require some kind of super-human GPU set up to run :P )

    Swapping a 560Ti out for a 570 and 850w PSU is a whole new budget range really, stick with what you had, it was a solid build.
  17. Build looked great to me, considering budget!
  18. Sounds good and I think I will be happy with this build, it will be my first. I just hope I don't screw up the parts while installing. Does the coolermaster 212 heatsink fit in the rosewill challenger case? I may get one later in case I want to overclock. I don't know how much gaming I will be doing but this build seems it will last me since I'm normally working all week and not constantly playing on the computer, but my last pc was a q6600 dell xps with a 8800GT and that lasted me 4+ years.
  19. AdrianPerry said:
    The motherboard he listed is a Z68 board? ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 Z68?

    Why would you get a 600/650w PSU with a 560Ti? 500w is enough for a single card, 750w is recommended for SLI, which the OP has gone with. 650w lands in the useless middle zone.

    850w PSU recommended for SLI 570's.


    cos the post says i would try to fit a 570 in the budget the 600 650w arent for ti i would get high quality 550w for that
  20. Thanks for the input guys I went ahead and ordered it. With the newegg preferred account it should ship today plus the 12 moth financing thing. I'll make sure to read the tutorials since this will be my 1st build.
  21. If you have the time, watch NewEgg's "How to build a computer: Part 2" video on youtube.

    Part 1 is all about selecting components
    Part 2 is actually building
    Part 3 is installing all drivers and software post-build.

    The video is about 45min's long and they do 2 different types of build during it. I found it very very helpful when i built my first PC and it cleared up any parts I felt i wasn't quite sure of.
  22. Sounds good. My monitor and case shipped from Jersey so it should be here today. All other parts of course are coming from CA. I should have ordered it last week since I noticed it said 1 day delivery for everything which meant everything would have come from Jersey.

    I noticed toms also had a guide to PC building. Lets pray I don't get any DOA parts since it will be a hassle to replace shipping back and forth.
  23. selayan said:
    Sounds good. My monitor and case shipped from Jersey so it should be here today. All other parts of course are coming from CA. I should have ordered it last week since I noticed it said 1 day delivery for everything which meant everything would have come from Jersey.

    I noticed toms also had a guide to PC building. Lets pray I don't get any DOA parts since it will be a hassle to replace shipping back and forth.


    The chance of that is fairly slim, not something id worry about :)

    When building remember ESD precautions! :) Wear that wrist band! :)
  24. I'll just wear my shoes and touch the metal case each time. Also, had a question about placing stand offs for the Mobo. How do you know where they go? It can short the board I bet if they are in the wrong place.
  25. When your case is delivered it will usually have some documentation with it showing which standoff holes to use for which size mobo.

    If it doesn't, its very easy for you to work out, basically should be a standoff behind every screw hole in the motherboard. Usually 6 standoffs for a ATX motherboard. 2 at the top corners, 2 in the middle on each side, and 2 at the bottom corners.
  26. Seems easy enough I will just line up the holes in the Mobo with the case and go from there.
  27. case might even have some of the holes marked
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product