List rearrangment

recently upgraded from Windows 98 to XP Home.
I was able to open a file folder and rearrange file items
in the list view (menu choice between edit and favorites)
and list (menu choice between icons and details). For
example I could select a file or files in the list, drag
and drop them beside the list in the open file folder
window. I could then open a space in the original list
by again selecting files, dragging and dropping them, and
then selecting the files I had previously moved to the
open space in the folder window by the original list into
the open space I had just made in the original list.
I learned through trial and error that if I gave each
list item a number or alphabetical letter I can change
their order. This is fine for short lists, but a BIG
hassle with lists of 100 items.
I also tried first arranging the list using the view,
icons menu setting. This again is okay for short lists
but wholly impractical for any list of twenty or more
items. And even then their order goes back to what they
were when I go back to view, list menu choice.
If it helps to understand the rearranging problem, it is
my lists of mp3 files that this is my main problem. I
also often need to rearrange my document files so that
those I most often use will be at the top of the list.
I hope my detailed description of the problem hasn't
turned you off.
If you don't have an answer, what other Microsoft
newwsgroup category would you reccomend I try?
I love you guys!
I.

Gretta wrote:
> recently upgraded from Windows 98 to XP Home.
> I was able to open a file folder and rearrange file items
> in the list view (menu choice between edit and favorites)
> and list (menu choice between icons and details). For
> example I could select a file or files in the list, drag
> and drop them beside the list in the open file folder
> window. I could then open a space in the original list
> by again selecting files, dragging and dropping them, and
> then selecting the files I had previously moved to the
> open space in the folder window by the original list into
> the open space I had just made in the original list.
> I learned through trial and error that if I gave each
> list item a number or alphabetical letter I can change
> their order. This is fine for short lists, but a BIG
> hassle with lists of 100 items.
> I also tried first arranging the list using the view,
> icons menu setting. This again is okay for short lists
> but wholly impractical for any list of twenty or more
> items. And even then their order goes back to what they
> were when I go back to view, list menu choice.
> If it helps to understand the rearranging problem, it is
> my lists of mp3 files that this is my main problem. I
> also often need to rearrange my document files so that
> those I most often use will be at the top of the list.
> I hope my detailed description of the problem hasn't
> turned you off.
> If you don't have an answer, what other Microsoft
> newwsgroup category would you reccomend I try?
> I love you guys!
> I.

Gretta

Probably not the answer you want to hear, but I think you simply need to get
organized. I learned a long time ago that trying to work with hundreds of
files, in one folder just does not work.

I ended up simply creating many sub-folders, with descriptive names, and
organizing the files into these folders. I ended up with a small group of
folders and it was easy to then organize the files in those folders and easy
to quickly find exactly what I was looking for. Saved my sanity. :)

For my MP3 files, I separate them by music type, group, artist, etc.

--
Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

http://www.dts-l.org
http://www.mvps.org

Thank you for your reply.
Do you have a way to forward this deficiency in XP to
Microsoft so that the next version of Windows will have
the feature I mentioned in Windows 98? It amazes me when
a common feature in a previous version of Windows is left
out of a newer version. How much are they paying these
incopetent people?
Thanks again!

The correct spelling of "incopetent" is "incompetent", so I
guess you have a slight advantage in that area.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message:

| Thank you for your reply.
| Do you have a way to forward this deficiency in XP to
| Microsoft so that the next version of Windows will have
| the feature I mentioned in Windows 98? It amazes me when
| a common feature in a previous version of Windows is left
| out of a newer version. How much are they paying these
| incopetent people?
| Thanks again!

When you're right you're right!