Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is the Core 2 Quad Q6600 worth getting?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
December 28, 2011 8:36:13 AM

Hello everyone.

So i just bought an amd 6770 and i have an Intel dual core e5400 oc to 3,1 ghz. In some cpu intensive games like saints row 3 and skyrim, i get quite low fps because my cpu is a dual core. My mobo has a LGA 775 socket, so the best cpus for me are the C2Q series and i need a cpu for under 200 euros. So i was looking at the Q6600. Should i get it, is t worth the money, will i notice some improvements in FPS and how does it compare with the i5 series? Or is the C2Q series too old and i should just stick with my old dual core?

Thanks.

More about : core quad q6600 worth

December 28, 2011 10:11:28 AM

Anyone? Maybe someone here has a C2Q?
a b à CPUs
December 28, 2011 10:20:23 AM

theres no reason to upgrade to a c2q for gaming. Skyrim only uses 2 threads ( 2 cores) and so do most games even today, there are some exceptions. the 6770 is also not a powerful graphics card so its not really being crippled by your cpu.

Related resources
a c 220 à CPUs
December 28, 2011 10:48:09 AM

CryArctic said:
Hello everyone.

So i just bought an amd 6770 and i have an Intel dual core e5400 oc to 3,1 ghz. In some cpu intensive games like saints row 3 and skyrim, i get quite low fps because my cpu is a dual core. My mobo has a LGA 775 socket, so the best cpus for me are the C2Q series and i need a cpu for under 200 euros. So i was looking at the Q6600. Should i get it, is t worth the money, will i notice some improvements in FPS and how does it compare with the i5 series? Or is the C2Q series too old and i should just stick with my old dual core?

Thanks.


It is a very nice CPU, best of 775 in my opinion, but not worth spending money on now as it is 3 generations old. Rather look at an I3 if you are on a tight budget. If not I5.

Getting an Q6600 will also not improve gaming much as its per core execution is still not up to standard today.

As esrever said : Skyrim only uses two threads total.
December 28, 2011 11:04:48 AM

Yea i would get an i5 but my moo socket is lga 775 and i5/i3 is i think socket 1156 or such. So i really dont have an option except the c2q. I currently play most of my games in 1920x1080 or 1600x900 and medium/high settings with ~45 fps in modern games. And you guys think its not worth caughing up the 190 euros for the q6600? Im hoping that the next gen. Consoles come next year, because then no worries about fps n things, but until then i still want to game on my pc.

So you guys think the c2q wouldnt be much of an upgrade over the e5400? Quess no BF3 then for me :-(
a c 220 à CPUs
December 28, 2011 11:40:20 AM

CryArctic said:
Yea i would get an i5 but my moo socket is lga 775 and i5/i3 is i think socket 1156 or such. So i really dont have an option except the c2q. I currently play most of my games in 1920x1080 or 1600x900 and medium/high settings with ~45 fps in modern games. And you guys think its not worth caughing up the 190 euros for the q6600? Im hoping that the next gen. Consoles come next year, because then no worries about fps n things, but until then i still want to game on my pc.

So you guys think the c2q wouldnt be much of an upgrade over the e5400? Quess no BF3 then for me :-(


When i said i3/i5 I meant a whole new system. Q6600 woudn't run much better on the c2q and a HD6770. I would stay stick to your system and save up for new rig.

Boo to Console!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol
December 28, 2011 11:41:42 AM

hi,

As in the comments above is mentioned,your cpu is not a bottleneck.You can go to toms battlefield 3 benchmark list with different cpu cores.Especially in high resolutions like 1920x1080 or 1600x900.You'll see NO difference in your FPS by upgrading your CPU to core2q6600,and I think if you don't OC q6600-because of q6600's low frequency-you might even see FPS drop!!!

Instead of upgrading your CPU,think about upgrading your GPU.Because except 2 or 3 games,don't use more than 2 cores,and if they use more than two cores,you'll see much more improvement by upgrading your GPU than your CPU in YOUR RESOLUTIONS(1920x1080).

By the way,I finished Battlefield 3 in highest settings possible(ultra settings with AA-1920x1200) with a radeon 5850 and a dual core CPU like yours,an athlon x2 6400+ BE @3.2Ghz,without any problems,nice and fast!!!! :) 

So consider upgrading your GPU,or wait to completely upgrade your rig with ivy-bridge and AMD 7900 series GPU.Otherwise,this upgrade you mentioned is not worth the money and you'll see no difference.

Have fun...
a c 104 à CPUs
December 28, 2011 11:52:21 AM

E5400 @ 3.1 a bit low, have one on a cheap Gigabyte board £30 running @ 3.6Ghz 1.34v as a media center / gamer.
a b à CPUs
December 28, 2011 12:07:03 PM

I cannot beleive im going to say this - don't do it - Oh god this is gonna make me teary eyed :'( 

Basically the Q6600 is at the end of its life. Its a nightmare to overclock stable at decent clocks without the right stepping and right chipset - Alright, at 3.5ghz + its still a bit of a monster and chews up games like their nothing (except Skyrim and its terrible game engine) Folks are charging £100 + for em so people with old Mobos can get a Quad Core.

Dont upgrade to a Q6600 unless someone gives you one for free. I personally am framing mine, Had it since July 2007 and its never failed me - but since Skyrim was released I started seeing dwindling frames and this upsets me - so 2500k it is.
a b à CPUs
December 28, 2011 1:05:16 PM

I will have to disagree with everyone else, LOL
Sorry all I still love my Q6600 and I had the e5300 OC to 4ghz and using a 5770
By switching to the q6600 I gained so much power even having the q6600
overclocked to 3.3 at the time.
I now run it at 3.8 for games. This is not typical but it possible.
I would only advise you purchase it if you have a sweet motherboard.
The q6600 needs a ton of overclocking. It is 100% capable but as mentioned it has almost had it's last day in the sun. But I refuse and I know this chip can easily push a 560ti or 6950 not to it's full potential but making it worthwhile.
I'm not tempted at all to upgrade. Like I said if your motherboard is a p35 or p45 or an x38/48 it's worth it. Phenom 2 is clock for clock slower than the core2 it's just a matter of matching the clock speeds which is going to be really hard without a great motherboard.

Enough professing my love. With a big overclock there is nothing wrong with paying 70 or 80 dollars for it, If your board can not do it then maybe look at a I3 2100 or better.
a b à CPUs
December 28, 2011 1:30:22 PM

spentshells said:
I will have to disagree with everyone else, LOL
Sorry all I still love my Q6600 and I had the e5300 OC to 4ghz and using a 5770
By switching to the q6600 I gained so much power even having the q6600
overclocked to 3.3 at the time.
I now run it at 3.8 for games. This is not typical but it possible.
I would only advise you purchase it if you have a sweet motherboard.
The q6600 needs a ton of overclocking. It is 100% capable but as mentioned it has almost had it's last day in the sun. But I refuse and I know this chip can easily push a 560ti or 6950 not to it's full potential but making it worthwhile.
I'm not tempted at all to upgrade. Like I said if your motherboard is a p35 or p45 or an x38/48 it's worth it. Phenom 2 is clock for clock slower than the core2 it's just a matter of matching the clock speeds which is going to be really hard without a great motherboard.

Enough professing my love. With a big overclock there is nothing wrong with paying 70 or 80 dollars for it, If your board can not do it then maybe look at a I3 2100 or better.


Good luck finding one for $70-80 O.o and very good luck pushing it to 3.8ghz - In the UK they are being sold for £100 (~$135) and for that you might aswell get a H61 and an i3 2100 - considering they are faster in every case than the Q6600.

Im a massive Kentsfield fanboy but I cant justify reccomending to someone a 4.5 year old CPU. Not unless its free.
December 28, 2011 2:12:54 PM

Heh my 6770 started flickering and i took it back to the store, they said it was a faulty gpu and i now have a gtx 550ti! I didnt even have to pay for it kinda. I am experiencing a bit better frames in my games than with a 6770, but i have read that the 550ti is on par with the 6790.

But yea, i kinda understand your opinions. I yet havent bought BF3, but i will download it from some pirated website and see what fps i get with my 550ti + e5400. With my old radeon 5550 it was at 20 fps on lowish settings. And i have no problem playing at say 1440x900, even though my monitor is 1920x1080. It scales well.

Overall, i think i wont get the q6600 then.(its a whopping 190 euros here). I quess a dual core + a 550ti is good enough for modern games.
!