Sign in with
Your question

Graphics card fan running fast/slow at startup

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 27, 2011 1:47:04 AM

Hi, recently my PC has been hit with a problem that I do not know the exact cause for it, here's what happened.

A few days after moving my PC into a new case (Aerocool X-Predator), sometimes I get this problem of my graphics card's fan running fast.. then slow.. then fast.. then slow.. Each cycle of fast and slow takes a total of about 4 seconds. The fan will run fast for 1 second, then slow for 3 second. And at this moment, there will not be any display produced.

Sometimes, it will do the normal fan speed, i.e. fast then slow throughout, but no display at all.

Though I put this problem under graphics card, I'm quite sure the problem doesn't lie with the graphics card, but rather either the PSU or mobo. The graphics card is probably the only thing that can help explain my problem.

Also, I'd like to say that the 'fast' fan speed is judged according to the loudness. It's very loud then soft.. then loud and soft again. The loud is as loud as how it is when I can successfully boot my PC, and soft is.. inaudible. But its still spinning as I've seen it.

Lastly, sometimes some of my USB devices are not powered properly as well. Keyboard, mouse, wireless router.

I've though of some possible causes here..

Case 1: PSU is faulty and cannot produce as much power to supply my PC with power
Case 2: Mobo is old (2 years) and hence some problem came with it
Case 3: Moving into a new case did something to my whole set-up
Case 4: The PC is auto restarting every 4 second (every time the fan gets loud), hence the loud and soft noise, cause after it gets loud and if it restarts, the fan WILL go soft for a few seconds before it gets loud again
Case 5: The modding of my 6950 graphics card cause it

Here's my PC components..

Mobo: Biostar TA790GX3 A2+
Processor: Phenom II X4 940
PSU: Seasonic X-series 660W
Gfx Card: XFX 6950 2GB unlocked to 6970
HDD: Crucial C300 128GB SSD
RAM: Some cheapo Kingston 2x2gb ram kit
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar Essence STX

Can anyone help me?
a c 144 U Graphics card
July 28, 2011 12:32:14 PM

about the behavior of you fan i think some card doing so when you boot up your pc. as long as the fan working properly during gaming session then you should not worry about it. about the USB devices, did you connect the USB from the mobo rear or from the case front panel USB slot?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2011 1:33:11 PM

zeitiax said:
Hi, recently my PC has been hit with a problem that I do not know the exact cause for it, here's what happened.

A few days after moving my PC into a new case (Aerocool X-Predator), sometimes I get this problem of my graphics card's fan running fast.. then slow.. then fast.. then slow.. Each cycle of fast and slow takes a total of about 4 seconds. The fan will run fast for 1 second, then slow for 3 second. And at this moment, there will not be any display produced.

Sometimes, it will do the normal fan speed, i.e. fast then slow throughout, but no display at all.

Though I put this problem under graphics card, I'm quite sure the problem doesn't lie with the graphics card, but rather either the PSU or mobo. The graphics card is probably the only thing that can help explain my problem.

Also, I'd like to say that the 'fast' fan speed is judged according to the loudness. It's very loud then soft.. then loud and soft again. The loud is as loud as how it is when I can successfully boot my PC, and soft is.. inaudible. But its still spinning as I've seen it.

Lastly, sometimes some of my USB devices are not powered properly as well. Keyboard, mouse, wireless router.

I've though of some possible causes here..

Case 1: PSU is faulty and cannot produce as much power to supply my PC with power
Case 2: Mobo is old (2 years) and hence some problem came with it
Case 3: Moving into a new case did something to my whole set-up
Case 4: The PC is auto restarting every 4 second (every time the fan gets loud), hence the loud and soft noise, cause after it gets loud and if it restarts, the fan WILL go soft for a few seconds before it gets loud again
Case 5: The modding of my 6950 graphics card cause it

Here's my PC components..

Mobo: Biostar TA790GX3 A2+
Processor: Phenom II X4 940
PSU: Seasonic X-series 660W
Gfx Card: XFX 6950 2GB unlocked to 6970
HDD: Crucial C300 128GB SSD
RAM: Some cheapo Kingston 2x2gb ram kit
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar Essence STX

Can anyone help me?

typically the fan change is a down side to AMD. Say at 70 celcius you go to 100% fan speed but at 68 your only pumping 50% fan speed. You heat up to 70 WHAM loud fan 4 seconds later it pumps the heat out and it's back to 50% fan speed. But 50% can't sustain the heat and so on the cycle goes.

However upon further reading I would try to remove the gfx and place it in a different pcie slot and or just unplug and replug it in. I had a similiar issue with my 4870x2. as for the usb periphals.. WHAMMY sorry bro can't help you, sounds like a mobo issue a little bit.

edit: monitor the heat levels of the card, you can always just set the fan to manual and keep ccc open. Rest it around 60% and work the audible to heat ratio from there
m
l
July 29, 2011 1:37:12 AM

@renz496 My main concern is that I cannot startup properly, and even get to my desktop because my screen will show nothing when that (graphics card's fan go fast and slow) happens. And the usb.. It is for the front and back usb ports.

EDIT: @renz496 About the card running fast/slow, as you said, being normal.. I think it does not apply to my PC..

Lets say there's 3 scenario now,
A: Graphics card runs fast for 2 sec.. then slow for the entire session --> result, PC will usually run as per normal
B: Graphics card runs fast 1 sec, slow 3 sec.. then fast 1 sec.. slow 3 sec.. as per error started in the first post --> result, PC does not load up at all, or maybe it load but there's definitely no display. and oh, for biostar mobo there's this light to show whether the boot is successful or not, for case B, it will keep blinking.
C: Graphics card run as per case A, but the USB is gone case, refer to my 'update' below.

@jonnyrb Temperature wise there's no problem, i don't think i can even touch 75deg at load. Funny thing is once the graphics card's fan run as per normal, i.e. the problem do not occur, i usually have no problem until the next startup. Besides, this happens are startup ONLY. Gaming wise it runs as per normal.

Update: Wao my computer really has gone wild. Now the graphics can sometimes run normally.. but my usb is not powered up.. i think. Or maybe its powered up partially.

My mouse is able to show the LED light, but my keyboard and wireless route shows no signal of light. I tried changing keyboard to the mouse's port, my keyboard still didn't light up.

I've gotten quite a number of BSOD Error 1e also. Could it be ram causing the problem?

EDIT2: Upon checking the manual for the LED blinking problem, there's no such situation, i.e. there's no 'blinking LED = xxx problem'. There's 2 LED, one showing there's no problem for RAM, the other for VGA. For my case, its either blinking, otherwise it lights up. So does that mean Ram and VGA have no problem?
m
l
!