Sign in with
Your question

Vista/XP workgroup issues

Last response: in Networking
November 5, 2010 6:49:09 PM

Hi.

I'm working with an XP machine who is trying to access her boss over the workgroup. He is running Vista Home Premium. Both computers show up in the workgroup. When she tries to open his computer she gets the generic "Logon failure: access is restricted" message. She can access the other computers on the workgroup though.

When he tries to access any computer on the workgroup, he gets the same "logon failure" message or a "network path not found"

I didn't think Simple File Sharing was used on Vista and I couldn't find it. I also couldn't find the Security Policy snap-in in mmc.

I've asked him to restart since god knows how long its been since he has. But other than that I'm not sure where to go with it.

File sharing is allowed in Windows Firewall and it wont work with WF turned off.

I've found some fixes but not for Vista specific, like reseting the tcp/ip stack.

Is there a way I can get to the security policies? I need to get the best solutions I can before Monday morning.

Thanks anyone!

More about : vista workgroup issues

Anonymous
November 9, 2010 5:38:53 AM

Hi
I have 24 pc, 12 desktop and 12 laptop windows are varies version escan anti virus newly install 1 week ago. Now what i do
no more connections can be made to this remote computer at this time because there are already as many connections as the computer can accept
!