Multiple wireless access point setup

shahidmalik

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2011
Hello,
I need to setup my laptop for two different wireless configurations,
at home i have a wireless network that work fine, however, at work i need to configure TCP/IPv4 by feeding in the required IP, Subnet Mask, Gateway etc. But i have to repeat this everyday in office and at home by removing and feeding in the parameters. Is there anyway that i can have both configurations and the system just automatically finds the right wireless network without changing the parameters. I am using windows 7.

shahidmalik

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2011

No. Infact the alternate configuration tab disappears as soon as manually configuring the IPv4 settings.

While it's not automatic, you could set up some batch files that configure your network according to your location. Just use the netsh command.

netsh in ip set address "Wireless Network Connection" dhcp
netsh in ip set address "Wireless Network Connection" static 192.168.1.100 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1
netsh in ip set address "Wireless Network Connection" static 10.0.0.100 255.255.255.0 10.0.0.1

Of course these are just examples. You need to change the name, ip address, etc., to match your situation. Again, not automatic, but it’s a lot easier than manually reconfiguring all the time.