ATI Radeon HD 5670/Nvidia GT 440

Shadowly

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
Hi, i have a homebuilt system and am having a few gaming issues, i installed a few games and almost every 5 minutes or less the screen freezes and a few seconds later goes black and then a few seconds later goes back to the Desktop as if nothing has happened.

here is my build:

Motherboard: Biostar TA870U3+
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5670 / Nvidia GT 440
Processor: AMD Phemon II x 4 3.2 ghz
4GB RAM

Cant see anything wrong with it my end, getting really irritating now -.-

Thanks for any replies

ervinelim

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
You actually have those 2 graphics card on your rig?

If yes, remove one graphics card and punch the guy who told you to put those two in your rig.

striker410

Distinguished
Have you tried installing the latest drivers? You've got to have the correct drivers installed for that card.
I assume you don't have both Nvidia AND AMD drivers installed... Do you?

Shadowly

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
No, i dont have both cards drivers installed, and i have got the exact drivers for the card, latest and also tried rolling back to an earlier one aswell.

Shadowly

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
a 500W, now on my Mobo, i just seen, it says Power Indicator and to the left of it, it has 3 RED lights... possibly too low power supply?

striker410

Distinguished
It's very possible it's the PSU. Either way, you should get a new one. That one is not good at all, and is a liability in your system. Check into getting a 400-500w PSU from Corsair or Antec. They are both reputable brands that are MUCH higher quality than this.

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
Hmm, is the game actually crashing or is it just going back to the windows screen? Windows 7 sometimes will interupt a game or other program because it thinks there is a performance issue with the display.

Are you getting any dialog boxes on the screen asking you to change the display settings due to poor display performance? If that's what's happening try disabling or closing other programs that are running in the background.

Shadowly

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
Jkat... it is freezing, then screen goes black and error (Display Driver Has Stopped Responding and has succesfully recovered) and other times it freezes, goes black n just exits me to Windows Desktop

Shadowly

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
Jkat, i have tried every single fix for that error so it cant be driver/software because i have tried it... i think Striker410 is more along the right lines

striker410

Distinguished
It's better to explore the FREE fixes first, hehe. You can check to make sure the PSU is functioning, at least:

If you suspect the PSU is causing your problems, below are some suggestions by jsc for troubleshooting the PSU. Proceed with caution. I will not be held responsible if you get shocked or fry components.

"The best way to check the PSU is to swap it with a known good PSU of similar capacity. Brand new, out of the box, untested does not count as a known good PSU. PSU's, like all components, can be DOA.

Next best thing is to get (or borrow) a digital multimeter and check the PSU.

Yellow wires should be 12 volts. Red wires: +5 volts, orange wires: +3.3 volts, blue wire : -12 volts, violet wire: 5 volts always on. Tolerances are +/- 5% except for the -12 volts which is +/- 10%.

The gray wire is really important. It should go from 0 to +5 volts when you turn the PSU on with the case switch. CPU needs this signal to boot.

You can turn on the PSU by completely disconnecting the PSU and using a paperclip or jumper wire to short the green wire to one of the neighboring black wires.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FW [...] tube_gdata

This checks the PSU under no load conditions, so it is not completely reliable. But if it can not pass this, it is dead. Then repeat the checks with the PSU plugged into the computer to put a load on the PSU. You can carefully probe the pins from the back of the main power connector."

Here's a link to jsc's breadboarding thread:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/foru [...] _13_0.html

That's from the Troubleshooting thread.

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
Don't get excited, I have read all of the posts. Just trying to get a clear idea of what's happening.

I have seen problems just like yours and always managed to fix them. However, sometimes it requires just giving up and starting over. Usually by the time I get there I just reformat my drive(s) and reload everything, I hope you are in the habit of doing backups and have a backup available in case you need it.

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
Based on what Outlander and Striker suggested I would consider taking a good look over the troubleshooting thread and working through that. You could have either a hardware or a software problem. That will help you to identify the problem in a methodical and logical fashion and you will also gain some experience at troubleshooting. Here is the link again if you need it http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems