Sign in with
Your question

ATI Radeon HD 5670/Nvidia GT 440

Last response: in Systems
September 26, 2011 6:14:07 PM

Hi, i have a homebuilt system and am having a few gaming issues, i installed a few games and almost every 5 minutes or less the screen freezes and a few seconds later goes black and then a few seconds later goes back to the Desktop as if nothing has happened.

here is my build:

Motherboard: Biostar TA870U3+
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5670 / Nvidia GT 440
Processor: AMD Phemon II x 4 3.2 ghz
4GB RAM

Cant see anything wrong with it my end, getting really irritating now -.-

Thanks for any replies
September 26, 2011 6:25:56 PM

You actually have those 2 graphics card on your rig?

If yes, remove one graphics card and punch the guy who told you to put those two in your rig.
September 26, 2011 6:28:00 PM

no, my bad... i've tried both of those cards and same issue, should have made that more clear, sorry xD
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2011 6:46:21 PM

Have you tried installing the latest drivers? You've got to have the correct drivers installed for that card.
I assume you don't have both Nvidia AND AMD drivers installed... Do you?
September 26, 2011 6:47:54 PM

No, i dont have both cards drivers installed, and i have got the exact drivers for the card, latest and also tried rolling back to an earlier one aswell.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2011 6:51:04 PM

Hmm.... What games are you having issues with? What's your screen res?
September 26, 2011 6:52:25 PM

all games... and sometimes on desktop / browsing the web.

resolution is 1680 x 1050
a b B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2011 6:54:29 PM

Well to me it sounds like it's driver/software related. Although, it could be your PSU. What PSU do you have?
September 26, 2011 7:05:26 PM

a 500W, now on my Mobo, i just seen, it says Power Indicator and to the left of it, it has 3 RED lights... possibly too low power supply?
September 26, 2011 7:11:27 PM

just looked in Mobo manual... they are Phase indicators, from what i can tell, Phase is disable... possible issue?
a b B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2011 7:13:15 PM

What's the make and model of the PSU? If it's a low quality brand, I would not be surprised if that was the root of the problem.
September 26, 2011 7:17:53 PM

CIT 500W Black Dual 12V Rail 12cm Fan PSU - 20+4pin 2x SATA

that is the power supply
a b B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2011 7:52:39 PM

It's very possible it's the PSU. Either way, you should get a new one. That one is not good at all, and is a liability in your system. Check into getting a 400-500w PSU from Corsair or Antec. They are both reputable brands that are MUCH higher quality than this.
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2011 7:58:01 PM

You dont mention which version of windows you are using.

That could be important
as it sounds to me like DX is corrupted
September 26, 2011 7:58:49 PM

hi Outlander, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit... i tried all DX fixes etc, etc
a b B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2011 8:07:57 PM

Hmm, is the game actually crashing or is it just going back to the windows screen? Windows 7 sometimes will interupt a game or other program because it thinks there is a performance issue with the display.

Are you getting any dialog boxes on the screen asking you to change the display settings due to poor display performance? If that's what's happening try disabling or closing other programs that are running in the background.
September 26, 2011 8:11:50 PM

Jkat... it is freezing, then screen goes black and error (Display Driver Has Stopped Responding and has succesfully recovered) and other times it freezes, goes black n just exits me to Windows Desktop
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2011 8:22:48 PM

Good that you have tried the DX fixes .

Now what is the RAM and what speed is it clocked at?
Check in bios that the timings and voltages are correct .
I feel this is less likely but its worth checking
a b B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2011 8:27:27 PM

Shadowly said:
(Display Driver Has Stopped Responding and has succesfully recovered)

Ok, that's a little more revealing.
September 26, 2011 8:30:00 PM

Jkat, i have tried every single fix for that error so it cant be driver/software because i have tried it... i think Striker410 is more along the right lines
a b B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2011 8:44:42 PM

It's better to explore the FREE fixes first, hehe. You can check to make sure the PSU is functioning, at least:

If you suspect the PSU is causing your problems, below are some suggestions by jsc for troubleshooting the PSU. Proceed with caution. I will not be held responsible if you get shocked or fry components.

"The best way to check the PSU is to swap it with a known good PSU of similar capacity. Brand new, out of the box, untested does not count as a known good PSU. PSU's, like all components, can be DOA.

Next best thing is to get (or borrow) a digital multimeter and check the PSU.

Yellow wires should be 12 volts. Red wires: +5 volts, orange wires: +3.3 volts, blue wire : -12 volts, violet wire: 5 volts always on. Tolerances are +/- 5% except for the -12 volts which is +/- 10%.

The gray wire is really important. It should go from 0 to +5 volts when you turn the PSU on with the case switch. CPU needs this signal to boot.

You can turn on the PSU by completely disconnecting the PSU and using a paperclip or jumper wire to short the green wire to one of the neighboring black wires.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FW [...] tube_gdata

This checks the PSU under no load conditions, so it is not completely reliable. But if it can not pass this, it is dead. Then repeat the checks with the PSU plugged into the computer to put a load on the PSU. You can carefully probe the pins from the back of the main power connector."

Here's a link to jsc's breadboarding thread:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/foru [...] _13_0.html

That's from the Troubleshooting thread.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2011 8:46:26 PM

Don't get excited, I have read all of the posts. Just trying to get a clear idea of what's happening.

I have seen problems just like yours and always managed to fix them. However, sometimes it requires just giving up and starting over. Usually by the time I get there I just reformat my drive(s) and reload everything, I hope you are in the habit of doing backups and have a backup available in case you need it.

September 26, 2011 8:49:15 PM

believe me, ive been through so much to get excited over a possible fix lol
a b B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2011 9:01:52 PM

Based on what Outlander and Striker suggested I would consider taking a good look over the troubleshooting thread and working through that. You could have either a hardware or a software problem. That will help you to identify the problem in a methodical and logical fashion and you will also gain some experience at troubleshooting. Here is the link again if you need it http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...
September 26, 2011 9:11:12 PM

yeah, will give em all a go!

Thanks for all your help all of you!
September 26, 2011 9:12:00 PM

I had those problems with Civ5, SCII, crysis 1 & 2, etc... replaced my psu (w/ ax850) and ram and still had issues. Since it was a new build, a clean install cured all my problems. turns out that my page file was too small... go figure. the extra ram (g.skill) and psu (antec truepower new) was used to build a new pc.
September 26, 2011 9:14:55 PM

ok cool, so a new PSU helped you out then
September 27, 2011 6:32:16 PM

ok, i got a new 700W Corsair PSU, it has fixed a whole lot of other problems i was having, and now it only seems to happen while my internet cable is plugged in, maybe the internet adaptor has given up!
a b B Homebuilt system
September 27, 2011 10:04:39 PM

Hmm... Did you do a virus sweep? It's possible you have both a hardware and software issue.
September 28, 2011 12:49:39 PM

i have, no viruses on my computer... we have tried everything my end, we have replaced:
Motherboard
Graphics Card
Power Supply

the only things i can do now is get a new rig i think... nothing works xDxD
October 3, 2011 5:05:08 PM

Shadowly said:
ok, i got a new 700W Corsair PSU, it has fixed a whole lot of other problems i was having, and now it only seems to happen while my internet cable is plugged in, maybe the internet adaptor has given up!

Being new to the forums I wasn't going to make any suggestions until I saw this quote.

You say a new PSU fixed a whole lot of other problems? What kind of problems?

It's starting to sound to me like you could have a combination of both hardware and software problems.

Have you tried any type of scan of your computer? Besides the Windows diagnostics?

I've been using the PC Pitstop Overdrive scan for 10+ years now. It's free. Does a complete scan of your PC, including all software and hardware. You can do it anonymously, though I've signed up because it will keep a record of previous scans if you do. It offers free advice and usually step by step instructions for fixing the problems it finds.

Just make sure you do the scan labeled as Overdrive. The site has a number of other scans that basically scans your PC and then wants you to buy various software to fix it. The overdrive is completely free.

I'd also suggest that if you don't have your PC doing weekly software maintenance, to do a manual defrag and disc clean.

Depending on your internet connection and how many problems your PC actually has, the scan shouldn't take more than about 5-10 mins. Though I have seen it take 20 mins or longer with a system that was totally screwed up. :p 

** Forgot to mention. The website is http://pcpitstop.com/default.asp
February 1, 2012 3:15:46 PM

Shadowly said:

did that 700W psu fixed some problems? plz name.

what problems still stands there? Do u think these are due to the internet adapter?

Plz help me i m on a plan to buy:

i3 2100
GA-H61M
2x2GB DDR3 1333MHz
Sapphire 5670 1GD5
1 TB @7200rpm sata 2
dvd/cd combo
Umax 450W...<waiting to be confirmed>...<rated 25A on +12V>
!