Sign in with
Your question

P5KC with E6850 BIOS Problems.

Last response: in Motherboards
October 15, 2012 2:45:03 PM

Hi,

I have bought 4GB of new Ram for my PC and now I'm encountering problems, i.E. the Computer does not start anymore, after a couple of failed attempts it says press F2 for bios defaults and then boots windows but it's the same every time I'm pressing the start button.

Specs:
Motherboard: ASUS P5KC, latest BIOS
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3GH
Ram: Not sure, CPU-Z says: Kingston DDR3

Could somebody please help and tell me what I have to enter where in the BIOS to get my machine running with the new RAM? I realize that you probably lack information about the RAM but I dont know where I could get that INFO from.

Thank you very much!
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
October 16, 2012 7:24:13 AM

Check memory speed from memory tab and reset bios to its default from bios menu. If not working, then remove battery from mobo and insert it again.
October 16, 2012 2:53:25 PM

mubin said:
Check memory speed from memory tab and reset bios to its default from bios menu. If not working, then remove battery from mobo and insert it again.

Thank you very much for your reply! Here are what I figure to be the memory speed/timings.

http://666kb.com/i/c85j7uu0cefc1jjvr.jpg
http://666kb.com/i/c85j85916aeokod47.jpg
http://666kb.com/i/c85j8bry6zo4r5g87.jpg

I have done a BIOS reset (had already done that) and I have replaced the Motherboard battery with a new one.
The PC still refuses to start with the standards the BIOS resets to. (The settings you see in the pictures are the settings it defaults to after about three attempts) My uneducated guess is that the reason has something to do with the RAM I bought being not compatible at the standard values for FSB and CPU-Multiplier?

Thanks you.
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
October 16, 2012 6:12:54 PM

Your ram is supported for mobo. Its 2x2gb 1333mhz speed memory. your mobo supports these ram.

You tried choosing default setting from BIOS?
October 16, 2012 7:38:02 PM

mubin said:
Your ram is supported for mobo. Its 2x2gb 1333mhz speed memory. your mobo supports these ram.

You tried choosing default setting from BIOS?

Here is what I did 10 minutes ago:

Start Computer: Computer starts with a black screen, I tryd 10 times, same result.
Remove Power Chord, Remove Bios battery.
Start Computer, Computer starts and says while booting:
F1 to Run [BIOS] Setup
F2 Load Default Values and Continue
I press F2, Computer starts into windows
I shutdown the Computer
Computer starts with black screen again

F1 to Run [BIOS] Setup
I press F1, And Load BIOS Defaults in the BIOS, Exit and save bios
Computer starts with black screen again

F1 to Run [BIOS] Setup
I press F1, Enter FSB:416, CPUMplt. 8, CpuVoltage 1.375V, Save BIOS
Computer starts
but is not overclocked to 3.3GH, the CPU-multiplyer is fixed at 8, DRAM Freq: 499, FSB:D RAM 5:6
Cores are running at a constant 50 degrees in idle (which is really hot I believe) and when I run a benchmark the machine will freeze after a couple of minutes. (Probably due to overheating?)

I hope this helps with diagnosing the problem, thank you very much for your time!

cheers
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
October 17, 2012 3:47:43 AM

Every time you have to load default setting for bios means, bios cant save its setting. Its probably your mobo battery. Is time setting is all right? Battery is not good i think. Try with good one.

You just overclock your cpu and it freeze for that unstable setting. Underclock to default setting.
October 17, 2012 9:45:52 AM

mubin said:
Every time you have to load default setting for bios means, bios cant save its setting. Its probably your mobo battery. Is time setting is all right? Battery is not good i think. Try with good one.

You just overclock your cpu and it freeze for that unstable setting. Underclock to default setting.

I already replaced the BIOS battery. The BIOS does save it's settings but it can't start with the default settings. When I overclock the computer as I wrote above the PC starts every time with no problem but I've got an unstable machine at my hands then. I can underclock it and that works as well but I would prefer to have my machine running at specs and I don't know what settings to enter where in the bios to make that happen.

Thank you very much!
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
October 18, 2012 4:45:48 AM

What about the time of your computer? Do you need to set it all time?

Your FSB setting is too high with stock cooler. You need a aftermarket cpu cooler or use stock clock.
October 18, 2012 9:50:05 AM

mubin said:
What about the time of your computer? Do you need to set it all time?

Your FSB setting is too high with stock cooler. You need a aftermarket cpu cooler or use stock clock.

Nope, the computer keeps the time between restarts.

I would like to run the computer within the stock-specs. The high FSB speed is just because that was the only FSB-setting that worked by try and error. My question is what do I have to enter for FSB/CPU etc. to get the PC running with standard setting.

Thank you
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
October 18, 2012 8:31:45 PM

Load optimize default setting from bios. If not working, then set fsb 333, which is default.
October 19, 2012 7:50:37 AM

Default settings do not work => Black Screen at poweron
Setting the FSB to 333 => Black Screen at poweron

But, if I take out the bios battery and disconnect the powerchord, I get asked if I want to:
F1 to Run [BIOS] Setup
when I press F2 the Computer starts with FSB set to 333 but will show a black screen when restartet.

Thank you very much
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
October 19, 2012 8:12:40 AM

Can you check your memory with memtest86+? This problem is just happen from new ram, right? Before using 4gb ddr3 ram there was no problem, right?

I think you should try updating bios to latest one.
October 19, 2012 9:39:31 AM

-Checked Memory with memtest86+ for 30 minutes, no errors where found
-Bios is up to date. Latest Version I could get from the Asus Homepage
-Before installing the new RAM there where no Problems.

Thank you
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
October 19, 2012 2:49:58 PM

The only problem i see is bios cant save setting each time it boot which could happen from bad battery. But already replace battery.

I say take it to service center to see if the mobo has any other issue.
October 21, 2012 9:45:57 AM

mubin said:
The only problem i see is bios cant save setting each time it boot which could happen from bad battery. But already replace battery.

I say take it to service center to see if the mobo has any other issue.

Yup, it is not the battery, since the bios does save the Overclocked settings.

This MoBo ist over 4 years old, I don't think I can take it anywhere. Guess I'll buy either different RAM or experiment a little with the settings to see if I can find something that is close to the factory settings and works.

Thank you very much for your time and your help!

cheers

chochmah
!