New System FREEZING??????

ctruc

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
Hello:

Just built my first system and all went pretty smoothly till now, On several occasions while watching some online content, the computer just locks up. Whatever is on the screen freezes and it appears that there are characters almost overlayed on the screen. I reboot and all is fine usually, though it happened last night watching Walking Dead and it happened about an hour apart.

Since it happened the first time I went to Gigabytes site and downloaded all the latest drivers so I think I'm set there. This is a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H 1155 board with an Intel 3770K. All is stock, no OC'ing. I love the system but this is kicking my ass. I also ran Mem Test all last night and there were no errors found.

The rest of the system is as follows:

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H (F14 bios)
Intel 3770K
16 gb (2-8's) Corsair Vengeance 1600 D3
OCZ Vertex 4 256gb (firmware 1.5)
WD Black 1tb Sata 6
PC power 750 watt Silencer MKII
No graphics card.
OS - Win7 Pro (OEM)

also make sure the mb bios is up to date. check your ram running at the right speed. most time you have to set the dram speed to xmp profile. also try giving your onboard gpu more ram. most time is set to 32/64 megs try upping it to 256m. make sure your using intel gpu chipset drivers. if you installed in mvp chipset software uninstall it it cause errors with onboard gpu driver.

redeemer

Distinguished
Hey hit the CLEAR CMOS button on your motherboard top right. Load up default settings and select XMP for your memory. As wanderer11 said do update you SSD drivers. Also you mentioned you updated the drivers but what about the BIOS F14

ctruc

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012

I just checked firmware and I have v 1.5 which I believe is the latest for the Vertex 4. Yes, this is MKII power supply as well.

ctruc

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012

MB bios is updated to F14 already. Ram is currently running at 64mb. I'll give 256mb a try. I'm pretty sure I'm using the MVP software. Where can I get the Intel drivers?

Thanks

ctruc

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012

Alright, I disabled the MVP drivers and updated the latest Intel drivers. I also bumped the GPU memory up to 256mb. Where does this memory resource come from? Can it be set even higher?

Not sure if it's my imagination but the graphics appear a bit more crisp after the update. I'll try to replicate the error this week and hopefully I WONT see them again.

A huge THANKS for everyone's suggestions.......

ctruc

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
No such luck. I ran the latest "walking dead" and 3/4 through, the screen locked up again. I'm out of ideas. Are there any tests I can run on the graphis or CPU to test its performance or maybe isolte the prob to SSD, mobo or memory???

eddie z

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012

Does this ONLY happen while watching videos?

ctruc

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
After I built it I got an initial freeze or two coming out of screen saver or just doing something basic. That prompted me to update the drivers. Since then the only freeze I've got was the result of watching streaming shows online.

Last night it froze about 1/4 way into the 45 minute show. I updated the Intel drivers and bumped up the GPU memory to 256. I thought all was puppies and lolly-pops so I ran the same show while I was doing other stuff this am and it froze about 30 minutes in this time.

When the "Freeze" occurs the screen locks up. You can see the image, but it's covered with an overlay of blue characters or something all the while there is some obnoxious screetch coming from the speakers....

Could it be a GPU problem on the CPU???? IF I get an actual graphics card can I be done with this headache? I don't really game so I was in no hurry to get one, but I planned on one eventually.

Vold316

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012
Download HWMonitor from CPUID website, and check out at what temperatures your CPU and Motherboard Chipsets are running. The thermal paste of your CPU could be messed up. Also, check out your fans, maybe they are not working properly.

Also, setup your motherboard to sound an alarm when your fans stop working or when the cpu is hotter than 70 °C or 80 °C.

use cpu-z make sure your ram running at the right speed. most ram need xmp profile to be turned on to run at it max speed. also check ram timming is right and the ram in the right ram slot. (running in dule mode not signal channel mode).
make sure you have the new java and flash installed and dvix and directx plug in. also check your power settings on your network and hard drive and video. if windows or the mb is turning them off it can cause a lock up. on my gaming machine i turn off powering down the hard drive and network card. lock up sound more like the browser or video player using up all the system ram and locking up.

ctruc

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012

Checked RAM when I upped GPU memory to 256 and it was at 1600ish like it should. Not sure about XMP profile Where do I check / set that? I have 2 sticks and I am sure they are in the correct location. Further, I've run both "burn in" and PC Mark and I had no errors under several tests. I think I even ran one test while viewing a video.....

Not sure on the dvix, and others. Nor am I sure on the power settings. There could be something to that. Though, I think its currently set to only shut off display after 15 minutes of being idle. If I'm viewing a movie / show how could that be viewed as "idle"?

Thanks