Ram alone OK in pair gives errors

G

Hello i have an old computer here an MSI k8vmm-v
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/K8MM-V.html#/?div=Detail
With a sempron 2600+

It has 2 slots of ram, i have 4 ram sticks (1xgb and 3x512) which tested alone with memtest give no errors.
My goal is to make the 1gb memory work with any of the 512 ones, to achieve 1.5Gb.

Problem is that whatever combination i try gives errors on memtest, i tested all rams on both slots and all pass memtest fine.

this is what i have:
-1 corsair 1GB DDR 400mhz
-1Vdata 512MB DDR 400mhz
-1elixir 512MB DDR 400mhz
-1 kingmax 512MB DDR 266mhz

All settings on BIOS are default/auto.
Is there any BIOS setup option that will make any of the 512 memory work with the 1Gb one without errors?

Hi,

when you pair memory its HAS to be the same frequency AND timings or you will get problems.
Sometime the computer boots other time it won't.

But if it does, you will run into bluescreens and corruption.

So you can trow away the 1 kingmax 512MB DDR 266mhz because even if it works all memory frequency will be adjusted to the lower

In your explanation, you don't give the memory timing and that is part of the problem.

Depending on your mobo,

you might or might not be able to use 1 gb with the two 512 mb ( depending on dual channel)

BTW the link for your mobo is wrong because it only has 2 RAM slot.

Please make sure that you post accurate info so that people from the community can help you better.

Get the user manual for your mobo and read memory compatibility section to see if you can use 3 RAM

Good luck

G

I explained myself wrong i don't want these 4 sticks to work together i was just listing all i have to work with, the mother i linked is the right one and yes it only have 2 slots.
What i want is to pair the 1Gb memory with any of the other rams to achieve 1.5GB and get no errors.

Also if there's a way to disable dual channel so i don't get errors is fine by me but i don't know if there's a way to disable that.

Edit: Ok these are default timmings on the BIOS, i have no information on the sticks itself.
200mhz
tlc-2.5
Tras 8T
Trcd 4T
Trp 2T
Trrd 2T

1t/2t memory timming setting : 2T
MTPP mapping mode: continuous

G

Does anyone know if there's any timing setting that would make 2 RAM more compatible? :love: