Changing default mouse-click action?

July 23, 2004 4:12:40 AM

I want to make it so that when I left-click and drag, the default action is
move, not copy. As it stands now, when I left-click and drag from one
folder to another within the same drive, it moves. YET... when I left-click
and drag from one DRIVE to another, it copies. I have three hard drives on
my system, plus two external drives(zip, and sdcard reader) that I
regularly move thing back and forth between. I hate having to right-click
and drag, and then selecting move from the menu, just so I won't end up
with two copies of these files. Most of the files I am moving are deleted
when I am finished with them so I don't want multiple copies of them
floating around for me to have to hunt down and delete. By the by, I am
running xp home.

thanks a lot.

UVB

Ur Village Butthead
July 23, 2004 4:12:41 AM

Ulric,
The simplest I have found is to use a RIGHT click drag and
when you let go of it in the new location a menu will appear with
have the choice. Tis just as fast..
--
Burt
The Old Alaskan

"Ulric Van Bergen (UVB)" <ithinknot@youwish.com> wrote in message
> I want to make it so that when I left-click and drag, the default action
is
> move, not copy. As it stands now, when I left-click and drag from one
> folder to another within the same drive, it moves. YET... when I
left-click
> and drag from one DRIVE to another, it copies. I have three hard drives on
> my system, plus two external drives(zip, and sdcard reader) that I
> regularly move thing back and forth between. I hate having to right-click
> and drag, and then selecting move from the menu, just so I won't end up
> with two copies of these files. Most of the files I am moving are deleted
> when I am finished with them so I don't want multiple copies of them
> floating around for me to have to hunt down and delete. By the by, I am
> running xp home.
>

> thanks a lot.
>
> UVB
>
> Ur Village Butthead
July 23, 2004 12:15:23 PM

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 00:12:40 GMT, Ulric Van Bergen (UVB) wrote:

> I want to make it so that when I left-click and drag, the default action is
> move, not copy. As it stands now, when I left-click and drag from one
> folder to another within the same drive, it moves. YET... when I left-click
> and drag from one DRIVE to another, it copies. I have three hard drives on
> my system, plus two external drives(zip, and sdcard reader) that I
> regularly move thing back and forth between. I hate having to right-click
> and drag, and then selecting move from the menu, just so I won't end up
> with two copies of these files. Most of the files I am moving are deleted
> when I am finished with them so I don't want multiple copies of them
> floating around for me to have to hunt down and delete. By the by, I am
> running xp home.
>

> thanks a lot.

Press Shift while dragging files to another drive. This will force a move
versus a copy operation.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Sharon,
I gave him an absolute answer above in this thread and the OP
does not seem to want to pay any attention... I know that the function
from drive to drive is hard-coded and I am not sure WHAT it would
take to change it, but I don't believe it would be worth the hassle.
--

news:o i1pdbLcEHA.3420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 00:12:40 GMT, Ulric Van Bergen (UVB) wrote:
>
> > I want to make it so that when I left-click and drag, the default action
is
> > move, not copy. As it stands now, when I left-click and drag from one
> > folder to another within the same drive, it moves. YET... when I
left-click
> > and drag from one DRIVE to another, it copies. I have three hard drives
on
> > my system, plus two external drives(zip, and sdcard reader) that I
> > regularly move thing back and forth between. I hate having to
right-click
> > and drag, and then selecting move from the menu, just so I won't end up
> > with two copies of these files. Most of the files I am moving are
deleted
> > when I am finished with them so I don't want multiple copies of them
> > floating around for me to have to hunt down and delete. By the by, I am
> > running xp home.
> >

> > thanks a lot.
> >

> Press Shift while dragging files to another drive. This will force a move
> versus a copy operation.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 6:22:34 PM

Hi,

The behaviour that you describe is by design. Default action when you right click and drag:

Across the same drive = Move
Across different drives = Copy

This cannot be changed as it is hardcoded.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Ulric Van Bergen (UVB)" <ithinknot@youwish.com> wrote in message
>I want to make it so that when I left-click and drag, the default action is
> move, not copy. As it stands now, when I left-click and drag from one
> folder to another within the same drive, it moves. YET... when I left-click
> and drag from one DRIVE to another, it copies. I have three hard drives on
> my system, plus two external drives(zip, and sdcard reader) that I
> regularly move thing back and forth between. I hate having to right-click
> and drag, and then selecting move from the menu, just so I won't end up
> with two copies of these files. Most of the files I am moving are deleted
> when I am finished with them so I don't want multiple copies of them
> floating around for me to have to hunt down and delete. By the by, I am
> running xp home.
>

> thanks a lot.
>
> UVB
>
> Ur Village Butthead
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 7:50:00 PM

"Burt" <smokydog@damnthespamalaska.net> wrote in news:uopZa7GcEHA.3988
@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:

I specifically said in my original post that I did not want to do this.

Try reading the whole post next time.

> Ulric,
> The simplest I have found is to use a RIGHT click drag and
> when you let go of it in the new location a menu will appear with
> have the choice. Tis just as fast..
July 23, 2004 7:50:01 PM

I did read the whole post.

> "Burt" <smokydog@damnthespamalaska.net> wrote in news:uopZa7GcEHA.3988
> @tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:
>

> I specifically said in my original post that I did not want to do this.
>
> Try reading the whole post next time.
>

> > Ulric,
> > The simplest I have found is to use a RIGHT click drag and
> > when you let go of it in the new location a menu will appear with
> > have the choice. Tis just as fast..

Anonymous
July 24, 2004 8:54:55 AM

"Burt" <smokydog@damnthespamalaska.net> wrote in news:u9VXv3PcEHA.3664
@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:

> Sharon,
> I gave him an absolute answer above in this thread and the OP
> does not seem to want to pay any attention... I know that the function
> from drive to drive is hard-coded and I am not sure WHAT it would
> take to change it, but I don't believe it would be worth the hassle.

Is there not an available registry hack to alter this?
July 24, 2004 8:54:56 AM

Ulric,
This particular newsgroup is about the best of the best of the
computer tecks in the business... If you get no answer to make it
work as you would like, my guess is that it would be VERY difficult
if even possible.. Just my two cents worth..
Burt

> "Burt" <smokydog@damnthespamalaska.net> wrote in news:u9VXv3PcEHA.3664
> @TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:
>
> > Sharon,
> > I gave him an absolute answer above in this thread and the OP
> > does not seem to want to pay any attention... I know that the function
> > from drive to drive is hard-coded and I am not sure WHAT it would
> > take to change it, but I don't believe it would be worth the hassle.
>
> Is there not an available registry hack to alter this?
Anonymous
July 25, 2004 1:42:55 AM

> Ulric,
> This particular newsgroup is about the best of the best of the
> computer tecks in the business... If you get no answer to make it
> work as you would like, my guess is that it would be VERY difficult
> if even possible.. Just my two cents worth..
> Burt
>
> "Ulric Van Bergen (UVB)" <ithinknot@youwish.com> wrote in message
>> "Burt" <smokydog@damnthespamalaska.net> wrote in
>> news:u9VXv3PcEHA.3664 @TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:
>>
>> > Sharon,
>> > I gave him an absolute answer above in this thread and the OP
>> > does not seem to want to pay any attention... I know that the
>> > function from drive to drive is hard-coded and I am not sure WHAT
>> > it would take to change it, but I don't believe it would be worth
>> > the hassle.
>>
>> Is there not an available registry hack to alter this?

I was unaware of the makeup of the frequenters of this group. I thank
all who replied and will find a satisfactory option from those given

spank

uvb
!