Sign in with
Your question

What is causing Win 7 Display Driver issues between Gigabyte Vid/Mob

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 27, 2011 8:17:22 AM

Hello All

I bought the following Spec Jun 2010:

"Antec P193 Case; 2x Corsair TR3X6G1333C7 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3; Corsair HX-650 Power Supply CMPSU-650HX; Noctua NH-U12P SE2; Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 Motherboard; Intel Core i7 930; Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD5830 1GB & Intel X25-M 80GB 34nm MLC G2 SSD Retail"

Installed Win 7 Enterprise & all the latest drivers in July 2010. Within months I experienced Display problems that I had horizontal & vertical lines on the BIOS screen. RMA for the video and from then no more BIOS lines but Windows would hang, then freeze, then go black before reporting "Recovered from a Display Driver"

Rebuild of OS on SSD but same issue. Updating to latest version of Video driver same Diff. Dec 2010/Jan 2011 bought new video "Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD6850 1GB".

Memory tests run & all pass successfully

Additional Driver updates & BIOS update done to no avail. I then updated PSU to "CoolerMaster Silent Pro M850 850W" with all but the SSD connected to no avail.

I have disabled the Gigabyte driver and I get no problem however once driver is enabled with restart it is not long before display crashes. I can cause the situation to occur if I open IE9 or FireFox4

My next plan is to use a 250GB Sata HDD to install Win 7 as one article indicated Solid State maybe to blame.

I don't have another Motherboard to test videos on yet, and considering that if installing to Sata HDD and issue appears then purchasing a replacement board.

However a google today made me find Tom's and thought I'd post :) 
July 27, 2011 9:46:06 AM

Your SSD would not cause the video issue. I have the same SSD and it's been running great for almost a year now. When you say you've disabled the Gigabyte driver, what do you mean? There should be no Gigabyte driver to disable with regard to the video card unless they include some overdrive/overclock software.
m
l
July 27, 2011 5:08:40 PM

Hmm, I have a rather similar build (see my sig) which I built last summer as well. I also had some sporadic display crashes a couple months ago, after a couple of weeks of the display crashing and recovering, maybe once every couple of days or so, I updated the ATI video drivers and I haven't had any problems since. So if you say you have updated the drivers I'm not sure what the issue could be.
m
l
Related resources
July 27, 2011 8:51:59 PM

Hi Ubercake, since the video came as a "Gigabyte Radeon HD 6850" I refer to the video as Gigabyte.

I've downloaded the video drivers from Gigabyte for the video - issue occurs.
I've downloaded the video drivers from ATI - issue occurs (with & without the Catalyst Centre Sw).
I've let Microsoft Windows Updates provide Video driver - issue occurs.

No overclocking done, I've updated bios to current versions every few months.

Have raised a ticket with Gigabyte since I have their board & video. They've suggested the usual. Try another video card (upgraded from your 5830 to 6850), try another Monitor (upgraded to a "Benq E2420HD" - not related to this), try in another system (don't have one). Then have reverted to their video driver again.

When issue returns I go to Device Manager and disable the video driver "AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series". "Driver Date 19/04/2011"; "Driver Version: 8.850.0.0". This reverts me to default display where the desktop size reverts to 800 v 600 resolution.

I mean on paper my spec should be purring away, letting me play games, get some virtual machines running for home lab etc, but I feel I am running with both arms & one leg tied behind my back. Have had to stop using Firefox since v4, avoid IE unless display disabled and use Chrome. No complaints on Chrome but I like FF just as much :D 

"off to mod my signature with my specs"
m
l
July 28, 2011 10:45:43 AM

Same issue with my Radeon HD5770. The only solution that works for me is to raise the idle core and memory clocks of the gfx card by about 35%. My original core clock is 157 MHz and memory clock is 300 MHz. I increase them by about 35% and the issue resolves.

For info, I have the issue both with conventional HDD and SSD unless I raise the core/memory clocks.

EDIT: I installed CCC 11.7 about two hours ago and I have been running the card at default core/memory clocks with no TDR problem since then. I hope AMD corrected the idle clock TDR issue this time so I do not have to increase the idle clocks every time I install a new CAT version.
m
l
July 29, 2011 1:11:39 AM

suat said:
Same issue with my Radeon HD5770. The only solution that works for me is to raise the idle core and memory clocks of the gfx card by about 35%. My original core clock is 157 MHz and memory clock is 300 MHz. I increase them by about 35% and the issue resolves.

For info, I have the issue both with conventional HDD and SSD unless I raise the core/memory clocks.

EDIT: I installed CCC 11.7 about two hours ago and I have been running the card at default core/memory clocks with no TDR problem since then. I hope AMD corrected the idle clock TDR issue this time so I do not have to increase the idle clocks every time I install a new CAT version.

Thanks for that. I've uninstalled the CCC I presumed the setting changes are in that application.

So increase the Idle core & Memory clocks of the Card by 35%

Any particular reason why 35%?
m
l
July 29, 2011 2:24:17 AM

That was the lowest value at which my card Radeon HD5770 remained stable without giving me "amdkmdag stopped responding and has recovered successfully " message.
m
l
August 5, 2011 5:10:01 AM

Due to my card been next batch I've been advised that playing with the %'s won't work, busy week (studying for ex2010) so hopefully of other suggestions :)  But happy to attempt this in the next week
m
l
August 15, 2011 12:44:02 PM

Thanks all but so far no suggestions have worked.

I have run a BSOD viewer & noticed the atikmdag repeatedly occurring.

That lead me to another url but not sure if I'm allowed to post here...

Working thru the suggestions, but with exam tomorrow arvo I've put this on hold.
m
l
!