Brissman

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Hello,I just tried installing a new graphics card and more RAM (another 4GB for a total of 8). After installing both I tried booting up my computer to find no signal being received by my monitor. Neither my keyboard (backlights) or wireless mouse reciever turn on either, both of which are hooked into the the USB ports in the back. Thinking it was the new card I put my old one in as well as tried connecting to the motherboards DVI. Neither one worked. All of my fans work and the LEDs on the mobo light up. So I don't belive its the PSU. My hard drive will start spinning on start up but will stop seconds later. I have tried resetting the BIOS by removing the watch battery on the motherboard as well. I'm of the mind that either the CPU or the motherboard were fried somehow, but can't be sure. Any suggestions?

icehawk940

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
have you tried removing the new memory you installed? remove one stick at a time and try booting. you very well might have gotten a bad stick of memory it happens every now and then. also double check all connections make sure everything is good and snug. also what psu do you have? If you have a spare psu give it a try see if everything fires up. To me sounds like a bad stick of memory so like i said take each stick out one at a time and try booting up.

:hello: Welcome to the forums.

Please post your systems specs.

First rule of upgrading is, if possible, upgrade one component at a time. Right now, you do not know if your problem is the new GPU or the RAM.

Put everything back to original and test the system. If it works, install the new RAM. Then once that is working install the new video card.