Cingular Prepaid With Analog Phone

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
June 12, 2005 5:48:41 PM

I have an old Motorola 3 watt bag phone that I want to keep in my car. I
like these old phones because of the extra power to reach a tower from rural
areas that hand held phones can't do. Will Cingular still activate these
older analog phones with a prepaid plan? A friend of mine told me that they
would only activate digital phones now. Thanks in advance.
June 12, 2005 8:22:44 PM

JM wrote:
> I have an old Motorola 3 watt bag phone that I want to keep in my car. I
> like these old phones because of the extra power to reach a tower from rural
> areas that hand held phones can't do. Will Cingular still activate these
> older analog phones with a prepaid plan? A friend of mine told me that they
> would only activate digital phones now. Thanks in advance.

If I was was contemplating the same thing, I don't think I'd use the
words 'analog' or 'AMPS' because they might balk at my request. Rather,
I'd use the word GAIT for a plan option. With a GAIT account, AMPS
service is still available, assuming the ESN for your bag phone is
accurately coded to your account.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 13:48:41 -0400, "JM" <NONOSpam@nospam.com> wrote:

>I have an old Motorola 3 watt bag phone that I want to keep in my car. I
>like these old phones because of the extra power to reach a tower from rural
>areas that hand held phones can't do. Will Cingular still activate these
>older analog phones with a prepaid plan? A friend of mine told me that they
>would only activate digital phones now. Thanks in advance.

cingular will not activate any analog only equipment. They may not
even activate any new TDMA IS-136 service since their goal is to put
everyone on GSM. If you already have TDMA IS-136 service you may keep
it but you may need to find a replacement handset outside of cingular.
- -
June 12, 2005 11:25:59 PM

Celluar technology has advanced since the days when the "bag phone" was
common. Digital phones and infrastructure (e.g. base station) equipment
can receive & process signals at a much lower signal strength than
analog phones. Besides, the weakest link is usually the receiver in the
phone, not the phone's ability to transmit to the base.

If you do a lot of travel to locations that have less than ideal cell
coverage, I would consider a handset that can be connected to a car kit
with an externally mounted antenna. This will help the receiver in
situations where you are in an area with weak coverage. Also, some
providers such as Sprint PCS allow you to add, for a fixed monthly fee,
analog roaming service to your dual-band handset for off network
roaming.

Hope it helps.
June 14, 2005 3:38:37 PM

Yes I can vouch that this guy is correct, the external antenna will make all
the difference in the world.

!