Random System shut-down >=(

rwhemme

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2008
I hope I have the correct catagory, but here's my issue ... I have a custom built Win 7 system (not even 2 yrs old yet). I really don't do much on it, except FB, email and WoW. I keep the system patched & my AV current. I started having random shut-downs. The event viewer is of no help. It just tells me the previous system shutdown was unexpected (duh!). I have already replaced the power supply. The only thing is I only seem to have these random shut-downs when I'm in game playing WoW? I have the CPU shut-down temp set to 80C. Could this be the issue? If so, is it normal for the CPU to get that hot, do I need a better fan?

Your input would be greatly appreicated! Thanks in advance!

Solution
Does the computer Shutdown or Restart? its important as the problem can be 2 different things.

A Complete Shutdown is generally only caused by overheating

A Restart can be many things, from heat to RAM, motherboard, hdd, corrupt windows, video card and the list goes on.

Heat sounds like the issue, i would get a can of compressed air (hardware store) and give the CPU fan a good clean out.

see how this goes, if you still have issues you may need to take the fan and heatsinc off and re-apply some new heat transfer compound.

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
Does the computer Shutdown or Restart? its important as the problem can be 2 different things.

A Complete Shutdown is generally only caused by overheating

A Restart can be many things, from heat to RAM, motherboard, hdd, corrupt windows, video card and the list goes on.

Heat sounds like the issue, i would get a can of compressed air (hardware store) and give the CPU fan a good clean out.

see how this goes, if you still have issues you may need to take the fan and heatsinc off and re-apply some new heat transfer compound.

Solution

rwhemme

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2008
It's a complete system shut-down, no restart. Looking in the BIOS, the idle temp is at 63C. I'm thinking then, when in game it will push the temp to the threshold and cause the shut-down?

rwhemme

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2008

It was a heat issue. I had looked in the BIOS and the CPU was running at about 63C at idle, so it would be a reasonable conclusion that when in game, the processor would heat up to the shut-down I had set. The fan had already been blown out, so I got a better fan and heatsink (had been using the stock one), and that has so far done the trick ;)

Thanks so much - I was kinda thinking it was a heat issue, but I was doubting my ability. Thanks again & have a great week!