jlc_64

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Hey all!!! I'm currently upgrading my CPU and I'm stuck as how to set up my cooling as far as fan directions. My computer case is a Thermaltake VH8000BWS with the 230mm on the side. There is also the 120mm intake/HDD cooling fan in the front and 120mm in the rear.

During this upgrade I will be adding a Corsair Hydro H80 CPU Liquid Cooler to the CPU. I would like to see the radiator for the cooler mounted to the slot where the rear exhaust fan goes. I'm assuming the 230mm fan and the 120mm fan on the front of the case would pull in enough air to allow for the H80 to pull air from inside the case that is not already to hot.

Or would it be better for the H80 to pull air from the outside the case and have the front fan exhaust? There is not enough space between the power supply and the top of the case for a 120mm fan but this is another option for a smaller fan, I don't know if I will need this or want the extra noise. I'd love to hear other ideas.

Corsair recommend that you mount them with the fan pulling into the case,
you may find the other way is better for you though, experimentation is the answer there.
a smaller 80mm fan in the roof will annoy you in no time, they get loud especially when they wear,
Personally I would have front as intake, h50 as exhaust and roof as exhaust, you can always mod another 120 into the front above the original one if you wanted more air coming in
Moto