Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Where did I go wrong?

Last response: in Components
December 28, 2011 6:55:16 PM

Okay, so I ordered a Corsair 500W power supply for my HP P7-1054 and when I started to put the thing in, I realized that I am missing one plug? It's a little 4 hole plug that is on the generic 250W Bestec that came with my computer. Do I need this?

More about : wrong

a b ) Power supply
December 28, 2011 7:39:38 PM

check there isnt an 8 pin plug on the corsair that splits into 2 4 pin plugs

most newer motherboards use an 8 pin connector instead of the old 4 pin one

Best solution

a c 1106 ) Power supply
December 28, 2011 8:41:37 PM

ardentluma said:
Okay, so I ordered a Corsair 500W power supply for my HP P7-1054 and when I started to put the thing in, I realized that I am missing one plug? It's a little 4 hole plug that is on the generic 250W Bestec that came with my computer. Do I need this?

Are the 4 pins arranged in a single row (i.e. 1 x 4) or a square (i.e. 2 x 2)?

Are you talking about the Floppy Diskette Drive 4-pin power connector? It's 1 x 4. If you don't have a floppy diskette drive in your PC then you don't need it. Both of the 500 Watt power supplies that Corsair sells include Floppy Diskette Drive 4-pin power connectors.

If it's 2 x 2:

From Corsair's Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: Where’s the 4-pin EPS/ATX 12v connector that I need for my motherboard?

A: Our power supplies ship with an 8-pin connector that splits in half. Use half of this connector for the 4-pin EPS/ATX 12v connector on your motherboard.
Related resources
December 28, 2011 10:40:24 PM

They are in a little square. I don't have a floppy disk, just CD/DVD. And whew, that's good to know. Will try to put it back in tomorrow.
December 29, 2011 12:00:04 PM

Best answer selected by ardentluma.
!