No USB device boot option in BIOS

highcountryrider

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
Just finished assembly of my new system. Board is a Z77 Pro4-M micro ATX. Did a first boot into UEFI BIOS to check AHCI settings, temps, memory speed, etc. Under the Boot menu I noticed that Boot Option 1 is set to my Samsung 850 SSD and Boot Option 2 is set to the Sony Optiarc DVD drive. Each setting has AHCI P1 and P2 showing the SSD and the DVD.

I'd planned on installing Windows 7 HP 64-bit from a bootable USB thumb drive. I don't see any options in the Boot menu to change boot order to this. There are no options at all for USB devices. Under Advanced Options>USB Configuration, USB 2.0 Controller is enabled as is USB 3.0 Controller, Legacy USB Support and Legacy USB 3.0 Support.

Any suggestions on how to enable booting from a USB device? Also, the logo screen is on for about one second. Have to be quick to hit F2 to get into BIOS. Any way to extend that by a couple of seconds? Is there any kind key to hit for boot options on start up?

TIA for replies.

Solution
The bios in all my rigs will only show a usb boot option if I have a usb device plugged in. I would bet yours is the same way plug a usb bootable stick in and it should show up as a option.

highcountryrider

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008

That makes sense now that you mention it, although in my limited experience (very!) in other BIOSes there was an option in the BIOS to boot from a USB device.

Any way to access boot options on start up? As I said the splash screen is only on for a second or less so I can't tell if it's on there or not.

highcountryrider

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008

Yeah, I figured that out. Other BIOSes I've worked with allowed one to set a splash screen time. Just thought there might be that option for this ASRock BIOS.

te100

Distinguished
well i downloaded the manual from asrock and there is an option in the boot menu for Setup Prompt Timeout - This shows the number of seconds to wait for setup activation key. 65535(0XFFFF) means indefinite waiting. this might be what you want.

highcountryrider

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008

Yeah, that was it. Sure isn't clear in the BIOS description for this action! Thanks much for your help.