shawnohayon

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
hi so i got a i5 3570k and i also have got a Thermaltake W0382RU Modular Power Supply - 750 watt. the problem is that all the mobos im looking at have a 4 pin atx connector but my psu has a 4+4 pin connector. will the psu work with most mobos? thanks first build/post.

Most motherboards will accept either a 4 pin ATX connector or an 8 pin EPS connector. For compatibility purposes many PSUs split the 8 pin EPS connector into a 4+4 pin connector for better backwards compatibility.

Please keep in mind that EPS specifies an additional 4 pin connector in addition to the 8 pin connector for a total of 12 pins in addition to the 24 pin ATX connector. ATX specifies only 24 + 4

I think the 4+4 means two 4 pin connectors for boards the require an 8 pin connector

Yeah pretty much. The 4+4 is part of a derivative specification called EPS which is used in servers, workstations, and high end PCs.

ATX12v 2.x specifies a 24 pin main ATX connector (20 prior to ATX 2.0) and as of ATX12v 1.0 (not to be confused with ATX) also specifies a 4 pin CPU auxiliary power connector.

EPS specifies the same 24 pin main connector as ATX12V 2.x as well as an 8 pin CPU Auxiliary power connector which is useful for multi-socket and high wattage CPUs that typically draw over 100 watts per socket. There is also an optional 4 pin tertiary connector which has a similar function.

The 8 pin EPS and 4 pin EPS connectors are simply nothing more than 12v/ground pairs, the same as the ATX auxiliary power connector. To provide full bidirectional compatibility, most motherboard manufacturers ship boards with an 8 pin EPS socket that will also work with only a 4 pin ATX12v connector and most PSU manufacturers ship EPS compatible PSUs (typically all PSUs over 850 watts) with an 8 pin EPS connector broken into two 4 pin connectors that will work in a motherboard that has only a 4 pin auxiliary power connector (not EPS compliant). Since the 4 pin EPS tertiary connector is optional, it will usually be included with a solid 8 pin connector as the 4 pin EPS tertiary connector can be used in lieu of a 4 pin ATX12v auxiliary connector.