Compatible Ram for Sabertooth z77

rizzo919

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
Im trying to figure out best ram for sabertooth z77 with a i7 3770k processor. Ive read alot of facts about ram and even spoke with tech support at Asus about this matter, although I was 100 percent confident in his knowledge, some pausing and hesitating. Anyway, I see wear people have made good suggestions for ram for this motherboard, however the ones mentioned by the good people in the forums arent listed in the sabertooth z77 QVL( qualified vendors list). Does this mean dont dare shop outside this list or you are doomed? Or is the list more like an encouragement to buy from there partners which is fine too. Alot of ram says compatible with socket 1155 boards but are not necissarily on there list. Help?

The QVL is just a subset of available memory that Asus has had time to test. It is by no means meant to be exhaustive.

So long as you use standard ram that conforms to the specifications outlined by the MB manufacturer, you will be fine.

Here's a good set for you:
Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 997002
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226217

My only recommendation about shopping outside the QVL is to get kits or 2 or 4 sticks and not try to match 2 x 2 stick kits.

While I have done it for years, but recently have been seeing more and more problems with doing so. I have even run into a bit of it.

The QVL for some boards will also list sets of 2 that can be used, but should not be used as 2 kits(2 kits to make 4 sticks). So again, if you want 16gigs, get a 16gig kit and not 2 x 8 gig kits.

Also many users are recommending staying with 1.5 volt memory. I can not argue that pushing less voltage is good for the cpu memory controller.

I know my first gen i5/i7 systems all have 1.65 volt ram and run fine.

my 2600K has 1.65 volt memory that will run fine @ 1.35 :). I have also just picked up some newer G-skill memory rated at 1600 and and testing it at just 1333 on 1.35 volts.

Reactions: Branson1