Help, daughter grabbed camera

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 6, 2005 2:26:33 AM

I have a Nikon CP 5600 and tonight for a split second, my 5 month old
managed to grab it and get the lens in her mouth. I was holding her at the
time she grabbed it and it may have been in her mouth a half second but now
the lens is not working right, everything is very blurred, hard to describe
really, it looks like there is a screen in front of the lens blocking all
the shots, it picks up light and dark, but that's really about it,
absolutely no detail at all.

Does anyone know what might have caused this (yes I know my daughter having
it in her mouth caused it) Is it probably condensation? Can I expect it to
go away, or will I have to take it to the camera shop to get fixed?

I guess if it has to go to the shop, my warrenty won't cover this :-(

Thanks for any help
Heather

--
************
If a cat does something we call it instinct, if we do the same thing, for

If at first you don't succeed, change your strategy, not your goal

When one door closes, another opens, but we often look so long and so
regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened
for us.

It is disconcerting to reflect on the number of students we have flunked in
chemistry for not knowing what we later found to be untrue.
Robert L. Weber
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 2:26:34 AM

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 22:26:33 -0230, in rec.photo.digital "Stormlady" <don't@
email.me> wrote:

>Does anyone know what might have caused this (yes I know my daughter having
>it in her mouth caused it) Is it probably condensation? Can I expect it to
>go away, or will I have to take it to the camera shop to get fixed?
>
>I guess if it has to go to the shop, my warrenty won't cover this :-(

First thing to try is to clean the lens. Get a microfiber cloth or lenspen
from the camera dept at k-mart, waltmart or local camera store.
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
April 6, 2005 2:26:34 AM

Stormlady wrote:
> I have a Nikon CP 5600 and tonight for a split second, my 5 month old
> managed to grab it and get the lens in her mouth. I was holding her at the
> time she grabbed it and it may have been in her mouth a half second but now
> the lens is not working right, everything is very blurred, hard to describe
> really, it looks like there is a screen in front of the lens blocking all
> the shots, it picks up light and dark, but that's really about it,
> absolutely no detail at all.
>
> Does anyone know what might have caused this (yes I know my daughter having
> it in her mouth caused it) Is it probably condensation? Can I expect it to
> go away, or will I have to take it to the camera shop to get fixed?
>
> I guess if it has to go to the shop, my warrenty won't cover this :-(
>
> Thanks for any help
> Heather

Clean the outside of the lens to get the saliva, and milk off of it, and
then let it set overnight to see if it clears up. And don't try to free
the camera to the baby next time. Milk is much better for her. Grin.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
April 6, 2005 3:01:35 AM

Thanks, I'll get a cloth or lenspen tomorrow and try that. I don't know
what a lenspen is, but I'm sure if I ask, they'll tell me at the store.

"Ed Ruf" <egruf_usenet@cox.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 22:26:33 -0230, in rec.photo.digital "Stormlady"
<don't@
> email.me> wrote:
>
> >Does anyone know what might have caused this (yes I know my daughter
having
> >it in her mouth caused it) Is it probably condensation? Can I expect it
> >go away, or will I have to take it to the camera shop to get fixed?
> >
> >I guess if it has to go to the shop, my warrenty won't cover this :-(
>
> First thing to try is to clean the lens. Get a microfiber cloth or lenspen
> from the camera dept at k-mart, waltmart or local camera store.
> ----------
> http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/General/index...
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 3:01:36 AM

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 23:01:35 -0230, in rec.photo.digital "Stormlady" <don't@
email.me> wrote:

>Thanks, I'll get a cloth or lenspen tomorrow and try that. I don't know
>what a lenspen is, but I'm sure if I ask, they'll tell me at the store.

http://www.lenspen.com/

I get mine at the local Ritz Camera for ~$10.

----------

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 23:01:35 -0230, "Stormlady" <don't@ email.me>
wrote:

>Thanks, I'll get a cloth or lenspen tomorrow and try that. I don't know
>what a lenspen is, but I'm sure if I ask, they'll tell me at the store.

I'm very pleased with a "3M Scotch-Brite Microfiber Cloth" I found in
at my local hardware store [Canadian Tire Corp].

There's a "3M Microfiber Lens Cleaning Cloth" available but I have yet
to find one.

Both products can be seen at 3M Canada here: http://tinyurl.com/626u3

Hap
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 3:14:07 AM

>>Does anyone know what might have caused this (yes I know my daughter
>>having
>>it in her mouth caused it) Is it probably condensation?

It would be helpful to know what food was in her mouth directly before the
contamination. Sugars, even in tiny amounts, dry to a hard haze and
sometimes do not dissolve completely in the usual cleaning 'solvents'.

Good luck.
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 5:12:45 AM

In article <hbWdncwZPLIzrs7fRVn-rw@rogers.com>, Stormlady <don't@>
wrote:

> I have a Nikon CP 5600 and tonight for a split second, my 5 month old
> managed to grab it and get the lens in her mouth. I was holding her at the
> time she grabbed it and it may have been in her mouth a half second but now
> the lens is not working right, everything is very blurred, hard to describe
> really, it looks like there is a screen in front of the lens blocking all
> the shots, it picks up light and dark, but that's really about it,
> absolutely no detail at all.

Try cleaning the glass part?
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 8:05:02 AM

Fifty Hertz wrote:
>>>Does anyone know what might have caused this (yes I know my daughter
>>>having
>>>it in her mouth caused it) Is it probably condensation?
>

> It would be helpful to know what food was in her mouth directly before the
> contamination. Sugars, even in tiny amounts, dry to a hard haze and
> sometimes do not dissolve completely in the usual cleaning 'solvents'.
>
> Good luck.

Highly likely it was vomit. Sorry.

Ben
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 8:05:03 AM

Ben Thomas wrote:

>> It would be helpful to know what food was in her mouth directly before
>> the contamination. Sugars, even in tiny amounts, dry to a hard haze
>> and sometimes do not dissolve completely in the usual cleaning
>> 'solvents'.
>>
>> Good luck.
>>

> Highly likely it was vomit. Sorry.
>
> Ben
Oh good, some acid, and probably some milk. Could that etch a lens coating?

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 3:49:33 PM

Stormlady wrote:
> I have a Nikon CP 5600 and tonight for a split second, my 5 month old
> managed to grab it and get the lens in her mouth. I was holding her
> at the time she grabbed it and it may have been in her mouth a half
> second but now the lens is not working right, everything is very
> blurred, hard to describe really, it looks like there is a screen in
> front of the lens blocking all the shots, it picks up light and dark,
> but that's really about it, absolutely no detail at all.
>
> Does anyone know what might have caused this (yes I know my daughter
> having it in her mouth caused it) Is it probably condensation? Can I
> expect it to go away, or will I have to take it to the camera shop to
> get fixed?
>
> I guess if it has to go to the shop, my warrenty won't cover this :-(
>
> Thanks for any help
> Heather

While special lens cleaning equipment is nice, I would start off with
just some fresh water, and a CLEAN cotton cloth dampen the cloth and clean
the lens (glass and the surrounding area) and then dry it. Do it gently and
no harm will come to the camera or lens and you may prevent damaged due to
whatever is now on it.

The special equipment is good to have and use as needed, but the old
fashion way works as well.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia's Muire duit
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 6:56:29 PM

Stormlady <don't@email.me> wrote:

>I have a Nikon CP 5600 and tonight for a split second, my 5 month old
>managed to grab it and get the lens in her mouth. I was holding her at the
>time she grabbed it and it may have been in her mouth a half second but now
>the lens is not working right, everything is very blurred, hard to describe
>really, it looks like there is a screen in front of the lens blocking all
>the shots, it picks up light and dark, but that's really about it,
>absolutely no detail at all.

I might also suggest that maybe it isn't gunk on the lens (since
the focus sounds so bad) but one of two things:

1) a setting, such as 'auto/manual' focus has been changed
2) the internal focussing mechanism is buggered, maybe by impact?

You should be able to see gunk on the lens if you look closely
at it. If not, perhaps a nice competent clerk at a camera shop
will help you see whether it's #1 or #2 otherwise. (So to speak).

--
Ken Tough
Anonymous

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 14:56:29 +0200, in rec.photo.digital , Ken Tough
<ken@objectech.co.uk> in <h3ULRaA9x9UCFwl4@objectech.co.uk> wrote:

>Stormlady <don't@email.me> wrote:
>
>>I have a Nikon CP 5600 and tonight for a split second, my 5 month old
>>managed to grab it and get the lens in her mouth. I was holding her at the
>>time she grabbed it and it may have been in her mouth a half second but now
>>the lens is not working right, everything is very blurred, hard to describe
>>really, it looks like there is a screen in front of the lens blocking all
>>the shots, it picks up light and dark, but that's really about it,
>>absolutely no detail at all.
>
>I might also suggest that maybe it isn't gunk on the lens (since
>the focus sounds so bad) but one of two things:
>
> 1) a setting, such as 'auto/manual' focus has been changed
> 2) the internal focussing mechanism is buggered, maybe by impact?
>
>You should be able to see gunk on the lens if you look closely
>at it. If not, perhaps a nice competent clerk at a camera shop
>will help you see whether it's #1 or #2 otherwise. (So to speak).

Is there a sensor up front that could be clogged?

--
Matt Silberstein

April 6, 2005 7:01:56 PM

Thanks everyone, the camera actually seems to be ok today (thankfully) I am
going to get a microfiber cloth or the lenspen just in case of future
mishaps. From now on I will be more aware of just how fast a baby can move
when something grabs their attention.

"Stormlady" <don't@ email.me> wrote in message
> I have a Nikon CP 5600 and tonight for a split second, my 5 month old
> managed to grab it and get the lens in her mouth. I was holding her at
the
> time she grabbed it and it may have been in her mouth a half second but
now
> the lens is not working right, everything is very blurred, hard to
describe
> really, it looks like there is a screen in front of the lens blocking all
> the shots, it picks up light and dark, but that's really about it,
> absolutely no detail at all.
>
> Does anyone know what might have caused this (yes I know my daughter
having
> it in her mouth caused it) Is it probably condensation? Can I expect it
> go away, or will I have to take it to the camera shop to get fixed?
>
> I guess if it has to go to the shop, my warrenty won't cover this :-(
>
> Thanks for any help
> Heather
>
> --
> ************
> If a cat does something we call it instinct, if we do the same thing, for
> the same reason, we call it intelligence. -Will Cuppy, american writer
>
> If at first you don't succeed, change your strategy, not your goal
>
> When one door closes, another opens, but we often look so long and so
> regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has
opened
> for us.
>
> It is disconcerting to reflect on the number of students we have flunked
in
> chemistry for not knowing what we later found to be untrue.
> Robert L. Weber

Anonymous
April 7, 2005 5:48:20 AM

Stormlady wrote:
> Thanks everyone, the camera actually seems to be ok today (thankfully) I am
> going to get a microfiber cloth or the lenspen just in case of future
> mishaps. From now on I will be more aware of just how fast a baby can move
> when something grabs their attention.

If you are lucky, maybe she didn't like the way it tasted and will
remember. Just forget the macro mode for a while. Grin.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
April 7, 2005 5:55:55 PM

"Ben Thomas" <nosp@m.thanks.mate> wrote in message

> > It would be helpful to know what food was in her mouth directly before
the
> > contamination. Sugars, even in tiny amounts, dry to a hard haze and
> > sometimes do not dissolve completely in the usual cleaning 'solvents'.
> >
> > Good luck.
> >

> Highly likely it was vomit. Sorry.

I don't believe Photoshop has a plug-in to tackle vomit ... although I might
be wrong ;o)
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 5:55:56 PM

Gizmo wrote:
> "Ben Thomas" <nosp@m.thanks.mate> wrote in message

>>>It would be helpful to know what food was in her mouth directly before
>
> the
>
>>>contamination. Sugars, even in tiny amounts, dry to a hard haze and
>>>sometimes do not dissolve completely in the usual cleaning 'solvents'.
>>>
>>>Good luck.
>>>

>>Highly likely it was vomit. Sorry.
>

> I don't believe Photoshop has a plug-in to tackle vomit ... although I might
> be wrong ;o)

Suggest it, and someone will probably make one. Grin.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 7:42:25 PM

Stormlady <don't@email.me> wrote:

>Thanks everyone, the camera actually seems to be ok today (thankfully) I am
>going to get a microfiber cloth or the lenspen just in case of future
>mishaps. From now on I will be more aware of just how fast a baby can move
>when something grabs their attention.

Was it grubbed up, or was it just "finger trouble" and a bit
of panic mixed together?

--
Ken Tough
Anonymous

> Oh good, some acid, and probably some milk. Could that etch a lens
> coating?

Yes.
!